Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: when is a scrap too small to save?

I keep them all. Those that I can sew with go into a pile, those that are too small to sew with go in a small pillow and then the pillow is full, I sew it shut and then it can be donated to a pet shelter, used in a room, or whatever.
    In a world where you can be anything, always be kind!
    Help protect your children, be honest about all medical problems and family medical history!

I toss the thin strips and really small pieces, but if it is 2 or 3 inches, it goes into my scraps. I use it when I paper piece. I did see a video once of a lady shredding fabric to make a picture. She piled them into colors, took a foundation piece of fabric, spread the shreds according to her picture she was making, covered it in black toile, and then stitched over the whole thing to hold it in place. It was a wall hanging. I don't think that technique would work for a quilt.

Kelly, that's a great idea to make a pillow out of them. I wouldn't use it for a dog, however, unless you want to come in one day and find all of those bits all over your house. Cats would love them. Heck, so would hubby's, too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roseOfsharon View Post
    Gladie how do you ever do such small blocks! They are so cute and the mini quilt is darling.
    Oh thanks Sharon. I just piece the block like it's a tiny crumb block making the block 1/2" larger than the finished size I want. When I'm in an "I don't know what I want to do" mood I pull out my little pieces and have a grand old time. Then when I want a quick little mini for a fund raiser I have the blocks ready to go and in no time I have a quilt made. This one is actually 7 1/2 x 13 not including the border. I just stuck it on the scanner rather than taking a picture :-) !
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Blog Entries
    Keep tiny pieces of batiks , marbles, almost solids - for appliqué
    Last edited by ligia; 07-12-2012 at 02:51 AM.
    loving retirement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
    I don't keep the lint......well maybe not that bad....but close
    loving retirement

I think the most useful information I've found on this subject is Bonnie Hunter's Scrap User's System. She also offers up a lot of free patterns that can be used with this system.
    http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml
    Pat

I save everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Peg View Post
    I save strips for scrappy quilts which I love to do. But I also save scraps because sometimes in doing applique you need a little piece of a color and it's better than making a cut in your fabric. I don't save anything smaller than an inch square.
    I am with you, but just this week thought maybe I should downsize the scrap bag and give them to someone who might want them. I was cutting 2 3/4 inc squares for the centers of a large cathedral window, but I keep thinking of those who piece small piano keys on adding machine tape, and those who are sane enough to make a grandmothers garden.
    pat design

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
    I don't keep the lint......well maybe not that bad....but close
    lol!!...I too keep small scraps,if not for scrappy quilts,I use them for starter scraps when I'm piecing on the sewing machine.

and what you don't keep...regardless of your criteria...small children with a glue stick , paper or cardboard , just LOVE 'EM !!

Smaller than 2 and 1/2 inches gets chunked.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I started saving even the tiniest scraps for my grandson to make scrap pictures on white contact paper. He loves to cut up the scraps and stick them down. It's good for at least 20 minutes of "play".
    Education makes a people easy to lead;difficult to govern; and impossible to enslave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lass View Post
    I started saving even the tiniest scraps for my grandson to make scrap pictures on white contact paper. He loves to cut up the scraps and stick them down. It's good for at least 20 minutes of "play".
    Now this is a great idea. My GD are always taking scraps and "sewing" quilts on a toy sewing machine. This would be more concrete.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

As I do a project, I save all the odd bits. When I'm done, I play a childhood game with those pieces. The game came with different geometrical shapes of brightly colored wood and the idea was that you would make figures with them.

If I can make an interesting shape or figure with the odds and ends, I keep them. If the shape or figure is particularly interesting, I take a picture of it and include the picture with the odds and ends to be used later for something. I think I am collecting for a "something" " quilt.

Pat

I don't have the patience to work with the little peices, but I do save them for a lady who does. It all goes in a back, bits and pieces, selveges etc. She comes into the food bank where I volunteer and is delighted to get them. Nothing wasted. smile.

I mean in a bag. oops...

Smaller than a fat eighth, and I toss it. I don't have room to store the scraps, nor the inclination to sort through them to find what I need.

I have started using Bonnie Hunter's http://quiltville.com methods so now my smallest is 1 1/2" sq. If I have to do strips, then 2 1/2" makes the most sense to me since that is a very commonly use strip. all this has probably been written but I have read all the posts!

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Smaller than a fat eighth, and I toss it. I don't have room to store the scraps, nor the inclination to sort through them to find what I need.
    Skittl-have you considered saving them and giving to a church or charity like Quilts of Valor to use? those are pretty big pieces yet! or a friend or quilt guild? I bet any of those would love it and then you only have to store temporarily.

For me 3x1 1/2 in. for rectangles or 2 1/2 x2 1/2 in. if square.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by Dar-midlife View Post
    Skittl-have you considered saving them and giving to a church or charity like Quilts of Valor to use? those are pretty big pieces yet! or a friend or quilt guild? I bet any of those would love it and then you only have to store temporarily.
    No, because there is still the storage issue. I save selvages for a friend, but that is it.

Our guild doesn't take small scraps. I'd have to sew them up into blocks (they take orphans) and I don't really like piecing.

All good thoughts and directions. I've actually used a few myself. But when it comes to those pieces I consider tossing, into a pillowcase (only soft cottons/flannels/batting). Once the pillowcase is about 2/3rds full I sew it closed and give it to my friends for their furry friends to enjoy. Nothing goes to waste

Blog Entries
    I save as small as I have room for. I just finished a prayer flag (info in cloth, paper, scissors magizine) and I used a teeny, tiny corner (less than 1/2") for applique. Then I used some old string from my thread catcher to make a tree and bush. Save as much as you can store IF you do techniques other than just piecing.
    Look at your leftovers and evaluate them according to what you do or think you'll do. Sometimes saving scraps can become overwhelming because you feel like you have to do something with them.

Blog Entries
    I save almost all my scraps . When I have a pile, I start cutting from the largest to the smallest squares. I start with 7 inch all the way to 1 inch. I then put them in plastic bags and label the size on the outside. I also cut rectangles 6 x 3 inches , this come in handy when mixed with the 3 inch blocks and then a big square. I also save long strips for my strip quilts. I guess , I just don't like to throw material away.. A lot of this I give away at my church sewing/quilting classes.
    TxCaRose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast