Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When using two color threads question >

When using two color threads question

When using two color threads question

Old 04-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Default When using two color threads question

Hello again,
I was wondering if sewing with two different color threads on top and bottom will result in a little top thread showing on the bottom. I have tried all different tensions and still get a little color showing on the bottom stitches. When I look at them from the side, they aren't really sticking up between the stitches a lot, look more flat with the fabric. Also, forgot to ask, will the top color show on bottom a little if doing the little monogram designs?

Another question I have is what does the stitch balance adjusting thingy do? It has a middle arrow and a plus and minus sign. Usually if the machine has them they are located so that you see them when you take the extension tray off to free arm.

Thank you so much for taking time to help me out I appreciate it!!

Last edited by BirdyFeathers; 04-10-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

It can be difficult to get a perfect balance between top and bobbin. That's why many quilters just use the same color in both. After laundering, they become less noticeable.
Little Monogram designs? If you have an embroidery machine, some of the colored thread will show on the back.

Any time you ask a question about your machine, you should include the manufacturer and model. Don't have a clue about the "stitch balance adjusting thingy"...
Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 AM

ooooops sorry, yes that would be helpful. It is a Janome DC2013. I love this machine! Thank you for your helpful reply.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

I have had that problem too. Especially when making turns, not always. I try to use same color top and bottom. I don't have a machine like yours.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:50 PM

Machines are different. My Brother 1500s, straight sewing only, has less top thread showing on the bottom then my other machine. The size of the needle may make a difference, since you state it looks like they are balanced. If the needle is too large for the thread, it makes a larger hole than the thread can fill. With monofilament thread I use a 6.5 microtex to get a very small hole even on a quilting sandwich. Both of my machines are 15yr+ old and don't have a "balance adjusting thingy".

As to "eyelashes" at sharp turns, taking 2-3 stitches verying close together will minimize that.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Power Poster

It may be that you are just seeing the bottom thread through the hole made by the needle. If that's the case, the hole will close up when the quilt is washed.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
It may be that you are just seeing the bottom thread through the hole made by the needle. If that's the case, the hole will close up when the quilt is washed.
Thanks Dunster, I didn't realize that. I learn so much here!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:58 PM

Thank you everyone for all your help. I appreciate it! I have correct tension now. I think in my case my tension issues were operator (me) caused LOLOL

I also found out what the stitch balance adjusting thingy does LOLOL It was in the book the entire time, I kept looking over it. Anyways, you can adjust when using stretch stitches.

I am so happy that I purchased this machine, I absolutely LOVE it!

Last edited by BirdyFeathers; 04-10-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Yes, thank you! My tension issues are fixed now, well they were never issues, because upon further inspection you were right, I was just seeing the thread through the hole made by the needle. Thats why in my post I referred to my "tension issues" being cause by "me" LOLOL Because I can't see like I used to.

Last edited by BirdyFeathers; 04-11-2013 at 05:56 AM.