Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who likes to  paper piece? Lets Chit Chat! >

Who likes to paper piece? Lets Chit Chat!

Who likes to paper piece? Lets Chit Chat!

Old 03-23-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by tkhooper
I love the bluebird. Can you tell me where to get the pattern?
Quilts With Style July/Aug 2006 issue 59 for part 2, that I showed in the pic. Part one is in the May/June issue which I bought afterward from their web site. hhtp://quiltswithstyle.com I also bout their eagle and hummingbird too. I bought several past issues in a bundle they had, plus a couple extra ones I wanted. They are very talented! I honestly did not realize how long it had been since I first started the project!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:16 PM

One hint I just learned is for the pieces that are just 1 piece - sew a basting stitch on the cutting line all around the piece - then the fabric and the paper pattern stay in place when you join other pieces to it. I never had trouble with the small pieces holding them in place but the larger outside triangle pieces would always cause me problems - I learned this from QNN
Old 03-23-2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by red roses
I just learned paper piecing this year. I am working on the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilt and many of the blocks have pp instructions. I did almost all of the paper pieced blocks because I enjoyed it so much! It goes pretty fast and it requires less thinking for some reason!
I'm so glad to hear someone else is doing Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. I have collected a bunch of pastel fabrics and bought the book, but haven't had the nerve to start the blocks. I too recently tried PP by doing Snail's Trail and I think I like the guarantee that all the points will look great. I'll make SBS my next project.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:41 PM

I love paper piecing!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:43 PM

:)
Old 03-23-2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by danmar
Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
I love paper piecing too! I drew up a simple scrappy pattern to use when showing others that want to learn. Leave the paper on until all pieces are put together. I have one to make for my DD that I drew out onto interfacing...won't have to pull off any paper.
Thank you for the pattern. I'll have to try it out. I absolutely love your little bluebird. And as for the back, How do you get everything trimmed to 1/4"? Yours looks so nice and neat. I'm not doing it right somehow and mine is really bad on the back.
Do you sew through the 1/4" seam line or only on the line to attach the new piece? Also, are the numbers on the patterns the order in which to add the pieces?? I wondered that last night.

Also, on your Tulip, all of those surrounding fabrics are just awesome! You have great taste!
Marilyn
Each unit has several pieces. You sew each fabric patch on {going through the seam lines when needed} and then trim each unit. Then put the units together, that is why you see the evenly trimmed seams. Each stitched line is sewn over by the next line of stitching. Then, just line them up and sew on the seam lines. What I have shown was about 26 different units sewn together. They do have numbers, lower case letters, and capital letters to match up for assembly or identify the colors needed.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:11 PM

Did you see on one of the topics on PPing, the link to Carol Doak's website? I was there and under Free Patterns, she has an article that was published in a mag on Converting piecing patterns to pp. I thought that maybe you'd be interested.
Here's the link. Marilyn

http://www.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php[/quote]

Thanks! That's a great article!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:11 PM

I love to paper piece. I find it a "no brainer" since the pattern tells me where to put ea. pc.

I found what helps me is to hold the paper pattern up backwards against a pc. of picture frame glass (8x10) to the light or window & trace around it with pencil. Puts the pattern on both sides. Takes the guesswork out of where to sew ea. pc.

Has anybody mentioned yet about the Add-a-Quarter ruler? There are 6" & 12" ones. They have a 1/4" lip on them & you lay them on a seam after sewing 2 pcs. together to trim. There is also an Add-an-Eighth ruler but I don't have that one.

I found the easiest way to release the paper is to gently stretch ea. section til the paper tears away from the seams. Be sure to use the paper especially made for paper pcing. It's thinner & easier to use than reg. copy paper.

Hope you love paper pcing.
Pat
Old 03-23-2010, 06:31 PM

Craftybear...check out Carol Doak's website and if interested join her forum....great for paper piecers and free patterns too
Old 03-23-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie
Did you see on one of the topics on PPing, the link to Carol Doak's website? I was there and under Free Patterns, she has an article that was published in a mag on Converting piecing patterns to pp. I thought that maybe you'd be interested.
Here's the link. Marilyn

http://www.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php
Thanks! That's a great article![/quote]

I thought so too! And you are welcome