Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the most frugal quilter?

Blog Entries
    I have found over the years that someone who is too frugal is not someone I like to be around. They have a flat line effect on me. I'm not frugal in my quilting at all other then to buy on sale and save my fabric scraps. Now household budget? I buy the cheapest consumables I can find other then food.
    Got fabric?

Better yet, the truly frugal quilter probably wouldn't even own a computer. I save where I can lately. Buy a lot from Connecting Threads, wait for Joann's coupons to pick up reasonably priced batting and notions, hand quilt my own projects. Keep trying to depend solely on my stash but there's always one elusive chunk of fabric I seem to have to buy before I can bring the whole project together.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    hmmm... I don't think the frugal quilter would be on the internet, wasting time like the rest of us...

Thirty years ago maybe. When I first started quilting my first attempt queen size quilt, (using left-overs from scraps I had made from dresses and my husband's shirts). It's still a UFO. That was my 1st scrappy quilt. At that time there wasn't, any roto cutters or mats. I made my own templates out of cardboard etc. It took me a long time to make a quilt. But we all know times change and so did I. Now, I'm a modern day quilter, who just love to buy new gadgets and pretty fabric. Then make quilts I want to make.
    No I'm not a fruger quilter anymore.

I'm definitely out LOL. I don't have time to be frugal but I do save and try to use all the scraps. When I get too many i donate them to a local quilting group. If I didn't have my tools I wouldn't be quilting.

Suzy

Blog Entries
    I thought I was a frugal quilter until I read some of the other post, and I guess I'm not. I do save lots of scraps that I cut up into squares and strips to make scrappy quilts. I do cut up my husbands shirt to use in quilts and I still cut off the buttons on clothes that we no long wear and I do NOT need another button. I inherited both my grandmother's and mother's button boxes.

I was, up until about 2 yrs ago!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    I have to disagree with the "frugal wouldn't have a computer/internet" comments... my computer has paid for itself, probably more than once. It's a tool too.
    Yes I waste more hours than I care to count playing games, and reading blogs and chatting, but I also find recipes, compare prices, learn how to ____ all from the comfort of my home, thanks to the computer. My husband found his job and works online from home.

If it weren't for computers, I wouldn't be quilting!

Blog Entries
    We are defining frugal: To me in this day and age, frugal would be a person who utilizes to the fullest every advantage of quilting possible. I am so frugal with my quilting time, I save all my little pieces taht are 3/4" or larger sorted in a special bin for a quilt of that size or a dq, I do not even throw away selvages, they are in a place of their own to be used for a project, which they have, my batting pieces are put as stuffing in projects such as pin cushions, stuffed toys, etc., my small strips that you have at the end of the fabric to square up are even used for stuffing or if large enough, cut into squares and filed accordingly. I use to the very end of a spool of thread, if given to me, used that also. i take the buttons of old clothing that is going in garbage and recycle those as well. lace is recycled, most anything that involves my quilting is recycled. yes, I use the modern tools we are allowed to make an end result worth while. Our new machines are a wonderful tool to utilize all there is to offer. I do won two seam rippers, two machines, one serger, one gammil longarm, one laptop that is old and one desktop that is old. I am so glad we have these awesome amenities for ourselves in this day and age. Grandma used to do the box templates and I still do because they work, but I use a rotary cutter around them instead.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    The rotary cutter was the ONLY thing that got me interested in sewing. Hated sewing, but that new thing called a rotary cutter just cut like a dream - and didn't even hurt my left hand! Been quilting ever since my discovery.

I made not use just sewing shears anymore but, I quit working full-time and only substitute or tutor. However, I have been here in Indy not working for pay; just staying with dad to give my brother and wife a break. So all that said; I only buy what I need and only on sale. If it is not on sale; I wait. I have found great bargains here on QB sales while I have been here. My newist machines are still over 15 years old. Several have been found by my brother at yard sales as gifts to me. Friends and family send people to me when a "sewing" relative dies with "sewing stuff". However, I am very good to go through and pick out things that I know others will use and have shared with the high school art department on many occasions b/c their funds are constantly getting cut. When you have hobbies that cost money, you learn to be frugal when you choose not to work and I find it fun to say how much I saved or what little it cost me. Especially with recycling old clothes and buttons. I may not be the most frugal but I give it my best shot. Enjoy all coupons for sewing and crafting items, yard sales etc. Will be following this thread. Teresa

No I'm not frugal, I was when I was younger now I don't have to be and won't be. I buy whatever I want or need. Money saved will go my heirs and I bet they won;t save it either. This life is the only one we get, enjoy it or loose it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    hmmm... I don't think the frugal quilter would be on the internet, wasting time like the rest of us...
    Good point!! lol
    I have too many machines if owning them keeps me off. I could say I'll only use one machine to sew it, but I like my rotary cutter and mat too much to give them up.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

Blog Entries
    Well, I better learn some frugal. Just figured up how much batting I'm going to need for all of my quilt tops, YIKES!! Thats just the ones I got put together, not any of my bucket list.
    Last edited by sandy l; 05-16-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added more

Well, I am not surprised to find not too many froogies on the QB!! But in our defense I think a lot of us have a "magnetic" personality that attracts spare sewing machines. I know at one time I had about a dozen portables (I don't think I paid for more than a couple of them). People want to get rid of them and we have to give them a good home.

Frugal quilter? What is that? lol Not this chic by far!

Blog Entries
    Frugal doesn't necessarily mean cheap. It can mean buying quality products so you have no waste and quality tools so they last a long time Spending good money one time is frugal rather than spending good money after bad.

I love all the people that can turn some leftover fabric into amazing quilts. I am striving for this. I hope for at least one year I can buy only batting and thread! I am doing this month by month with the help of the QB! Hurray
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I know at one time I had about a dozen portables (I don't think I paid for more than a couple of them). People want to get rid of them and we have to give them a good home.
    Seems quite a lot of y'all belong to the Sewing Machine Rescue Society!

I can't claim to be extremely frugal, but I do wait for sales, hit the garage sales and other secondhand places to accumulate fabric and sewing "stuff". I love a bargain. I compare my bargain hunting to a man's game hunting. Both of us must have the tools to do the job, then we have to go (several times & places) where the game are (woods, fabric stores) to determine what is there, plan for the kill or project. Must be patient, know what to look for, then know what to do with it when you get it. It's a sport and for me, it is more fun when I bag the bargain.

This has been a fun and interesing thread. Thanks for getting it started.
    jean

Not me either. Although 2 years ago I took 10 classes through my guild and got all the fabric from my stash. But I have three sewing machines aniron for my sewing room and one to travel with(the infamous Rwenta travel iron), severalrotary cutters, umteen rulersand cuuting mats. And I keep buying more quilting books, must be the retired libraian in me.

Blog Entries
    Men's shirts are 50 cents at the church rummage sale. I think I'll have a go at them after people who want them for shirts have their chance to purchase them. My attempt to be frugal for the month.

I don't think I qualify! lol

Norma

I have to admit that in the early days of my marriage & having 2 babies, I'd save every pc. of basting thread so I could reuse it. I was self taught & it just made sense not to just throw it away.

Just today, as I made runners, I used the whole bobbin worth of thread til it ran out before reloading.

Well, aside from too many machines and tools I would have to win hands down. By the time I can get to my sewing I am just too tired so I use nothing at all ever! /;>(
    dawn227

Quote Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
    I'm not eligible. Usually, if I like it, I buy it (within reason).
    Me too!!! I spend W A Y too much on fabric!!!!!

Frugel not me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast