Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who? What? Where? When? How? >

Who? What? Where? When? How?

Who? What? Where? When? How?

Old 10-30-2012, 06:02 AM

i learned to sew at school. i think i was one of the last groups of students to truly benefit from mandatory shop classes.

my sewing machine and i have been together for 22 years. it's a good basic janome, and i don't know what i would do if it ever stops working.

i think i will take more sewing classes in the next couple of years. i have learned most of what i know from doing, but i have hit a point where i need some hands on instruction in finer techniques, not only for quilting but more particularly for dressmaking. my results are often slightly disappointing and i know it's because i am either not quite careful enough or i am sort of a hack. when i look at prize winning quilts i know there is so very much left to learn. i think that's one of the reasons i love quilting. there's always something else to do, something else that is inspiring.

the thing that keeps me going is a desire to make things. there are clothes i want to wear that i can't find in stores. and as far as quilting goes, there is just a simple joy in knowing i made it, that i chose all the colours, the patterns, the whole process. there are quilts i want to make that will continue to challenge me for a long time yet. i have two modern quilts in mind, and i am trying not to succumb to an overweening desire to collect william morris fabrics. eventually i will have a medallion quilt or something like one in morris fabrics, but i have some things to finish up first

my sewing machine is portable. i don't have a cabinet.

i took an 12 week learn to quilt class. i got stuck ont he victoria cross block and never finished the class or the sampler. i missed paper piecing, applique and two of the quilting (hand and machine) classes. i'm okay with that.

the machines i learned on had zig zag stitches, but we learned to sew basic seams and to control the fabric as it fed under the needle. i think we must have learned how to read patterns and some basic construction techniques, but from there on out i was on my own. i have learned A LOT from youtube in the last couple of years.

i was in grade 7, so i guess i was not quite a teenager.

classes, perseverance, and a good sense of humour gets me through. and then sometimes, knowing i need to walk away and think about a problem, or just give my mind and body a break. that's how i do it

aileen
Old 10-30-2012, 06:07 AM

Who taught you to sew?
I learned in Home Economics, but I always wanted to learn, so I took Home Economics for sewing as often as I could.

What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine?
I guess when the tension goes wacky and you can't figure out why.

What would make it easier to learn to sew?
With all the youtube videos, people are learning to sew all by themselves. I think that is wonderful. I wish that was available to me when I was learning.

What did you do to conquer the sewing machine?
I treat it with respect and try not to overwork it or make it do something it's not capable of. I also talk to my machines.

What kept you going?
I love using a sewing machine, something about making something with fabric and thread really makes me happy.

Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet?
I have several machines, only one is in a cabinet.

When did you conquer the sewing machine?
I made friends with sewing machines while I was learning in Home Economics in the 1970's.

How did you ever learn to quilt?
I wanted to learn to quilt to make a wallhanging for my living room. I thought it was great that the entire thing could be done by machine. I have only made a few quilted items, but I loved making them on my machine.

Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew?
I think the sewing machines that were at my Junior High and High School were zig zag machines.

Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt?
I was 53 when I learned to quilt.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:10 AM

I learned to sew by my Mom...no choice..."It's a life skill!" That was on a Singer treadle...straight stitch.
I get frustrated when my machine doesn't do what I want in the moment, but the only real frustration I ever had with a machine was my first serger. I never was able to master it, so eventually was able to trade up to a Babylock that has air threading...just made for folks like me!
When I got married, I thought I was through with sewing. When my daughter was born, the creative side of me screamed that she Needed better clothing than what I saw in the stores and a monster was born. That was 42 years ago, and I've never looked back.
I sew in the basement most of the time on a machine that's on a table. I also have machines on our main floor and do all the embroidery there. In the loft, I have my Mom's old Viking 6430 in a cabinet. I go there when I want to sew the heavy duty stuff. Hmmm, looks like I've taken over the house!
I began quilting by doing turn and tie...really, no I idea that I was quilting!
Then I did some self taught piecing and machine quilting.
Then I took a class and learned about accuracy and 1/4 inch seams and have been enamored ever since. My secret is that no one in my entire huge family quilts, so they all think my stuff is fabulous! I love to take classes, mostly for the cameraderie (sp?) and to see what others pick for colors,etc. I love that I see mostly women from all stages and walks of life, coming together to create with love.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:14 AM

Who taught you to sew? My mother. Before she and my dad bought there business she use to make clothing for other people to earn some money.

What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine? Not enough space in the harp for large quilts and tension when using fine threads.

What would make it easier to learn to sew? I have not had a difficult time for the things I like now - quilting and home dec. I quit making clothes because I was always slightly disappointed in how they turned out. Fitting clothes to myself is an issue.

What did you do to conquer the sewing machine? Practice, practice , practice.

What kept you going? I enjoy making things and I love, love, love fabric!

Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet? My main sewing machine, a Juki TL98e, is in a quilting cabinet. Of course I now have a treadle (also in a cabinet), a Singer 301A in the card table and a Singer 128 in a case, and a Pfaff 7570 in a case..

When did you conquer the sewing machine? Have I conquered it? I still have a lot to learn about all the decorative stitches on my Pfafff - since I mostly quilt.

How did you ever learn to quilt? I taught myselft after watching Bethany Reynolds demonstrate the Stack and Whack technique on Simply Quilts. I am still learning about free motion quilting.

Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew? A straight stitch machine

Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt? My mother taught me to sew when I was 10. She decided that we couldn't learn until then. Prior to that I would sometimes stand behind her machine and remove pins as she sewed.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Who taught you to sew?
What kept you going?

the answer to all the questions is I was so young when I learned to sew that I don't remember learning------as for the rest------------it was just a fact of life-----------sewing machine and all.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:36 AM

Who taught you to sew?
My mother and myself. Mom wasn’t a very good teacher. She told me, “This is a 5/8” seam mark. Line your fabric up there. This is reverse. Don’t sew over your fingers.”

The bobbin got tangled a LOT and broke a lot of needles. I now wonder if it was slightly out of time or had a crack in the bobbin case. I think it was a Singer from the late 60’s. It was the mocha color and had zigzag and reverse.

That was over forty years ago. I can’t remember but I think a different sewing machine.

What did you do to conquer the sewing machine? Mom had bought this doll dress pattern. It was an 18” size and she wouldn’t sew it because it was so small. I made that pattern in every scrap I could find. My sisters had doll dresses in double knit, cotton, velveteen, and various polys from nightgowns and such I cut up. So, PRACTICE!

What kept you going? Need and entertainment. I was a better seamstress than Mom because I took time for the details she did not. Also, it kept me busy.

Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet? Mom’s was in a cabinet. My first was a cabinet model, Singer Stylist, my Mammaw gave me. I later bought a Kenmore in a case that worked MUCH better than anything I had ever used. Now I have several machines in cases, cabinets and tables.

When did you conquer the sewing machine? That first sewing machine, within a year or so. Mom would holler, “Mary, come fix this thing, “ when it got jammed up. I had more patience. Her next machine had a lot more bells and whistles – a buttonhole maker! – I set down the first chance I got and tried everything.

How did you ever learn to quilt? I started piecing by hand during the blizzard of ’78. We were out of school and without power for most of three weeks. When I got married I made what I called comforters as bedspreads. The pieces were huge and they were tied or just SID. I finally started quilting about 5 years ago out of boredom.

Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew? ZigZag

Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt? I suppose an adult. I don’t know that I learned so much as I just started doing it so that I could continue to sew. I know people are going to flame me for it but it seems to me that piecing is such a basic skill that if you can sew you can piece. As for the quilting, I am not artistic enough to achieve beautiful feathers and the like. If you saw my handwriting you would understand. I get that over as quickly as possible and generally use boards - aka: Quilting for Dummies.

Last edited by MaryLane; 10-30-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:48 AM

Who taught you to sew? Mom & Home Ec
What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine? Current one? Not much
What would make it easier to learn to sew? Take a class first before you get bad habits
What did you do to conquer the sewing machine? Bought a new one
What kept you going? I had years of no sewing because I did such a poor job at making my kids clothes...but off and on did curtains, repairs and things...then about 5 years ago started quilting.
Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet? On top of cabinet
When did you conquer the sewing machine? When they taught me stuff at the classes
How did you ever learn to quilt? self taught after a couple classes
Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew? zig zag
Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt? adult
Old 10-30-2012, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Who taught you to sew?
my aunt
Nothing, all my brothers have been awesome
patient teachers
Nothing, just learned more as I went, I always pick up things fast
What kept you going?
quilting, love it
case then, now cabinet for my big one case for my small
when i was ABOUT 20
AUNT TAUGHT ME AND CLASSES
zig zag
Learned a little while I was a child but mostly as an adult
Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 AM

Who taught you to sew?
My Mom. I so admired her being so clever. Could not wait to become so clever too.

What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine? The way it senses that I am stressed or in a hurry and then finds every trick in the book to make me humble.

What would make it easier to learn to sew? A very patient teacher who keeps you curious and interested.

What did you do to conquer the sewing machine? Spent hours upon hours till sewing was as natural as breathing.

What kept you going? Curiosity, the lust for learning and the idea of more skills to build on.

Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet? O
Old 10-30-2012, 07:00 AM

My mom taught me to sew when I started 4H on her Singer featherweight. My sewing machine is in a cabinet in the living room behond the couch the DH roosts on. I never thought about not sewing..never thought about not eating chocolate either. I have always made quilts. In the past 10 years it has changed from a necessity to a hobby.