Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who is your quilting guru? >

Who is your quilting guru?

Who is your quilting guru?

Old 04-23-2014, 02:05 PM

Default Who is your quilting guru?

I wonder how many have taken classes with professional quilters & has it been worthwhile? I have an opportunity to do so, but am on the fence...
Old 04-23-2014, 02:07 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

my fav is Bonnie Hunter from www.quiltville.com...

i follow her posts on FB and encourages me to utilize my scraps...and she has free patterns too,,
Old 04-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

I belong to a pretty large guild and we manage to get in 'Professional's multiple times a year- when it is someone who does things I love I always go---if it is someone who I have no interest in (their technique/style) I pass...I have always believed it is well worth the cost and time...they bring in wonderful trunk shows, do great lectures, workshops, classes- you can learn some wonderful new things and leave feeling totally inspired and motivated...some I have been privileged to meet (take classes/workshops with) are: Kay England, Eleanor Burns, Gwen Marsten, Edyta Sitar, Carol Armstrong, Judy Martin, Alex Anderson , Becky Goldsmith and Mark Lipinski...there are others- but those are the names that pop into my head right now---everyone has been an absolute pleasure!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:31 PM

My quilting guru is the membership here on the quilting board! I always get good advice here with so many knowledgeable quilters.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

It depends if the technique or style interests me. I usually try to take the classes if they are available.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:16 PM

Any person who I just love online are mine, eleanor burns, patsy thompson, ann peterson, harriet hardgrave, sue knickels, kathy Mckneil, judy neimeyer to name a few, there are dozens more I am in awe of.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
My quilting guru is the membership here on the quilting board! I always get good advice here with so many knowledgeable quilters.
This, pointing up.
I also like Eleanor Burns, Fons & Porter, and Jenny Doan's tutes on youtube. Eleanor's Quilt in a Day is the only TV show I know of where I can watch every episode free online.
Rodney
Old 04-23-2014, 05:29 PM

I don't have a quilting guru right now, but in the past it was definitely Eleanor Burns and Georgia Bonesteel. Took classes with both. I've also taken quite a few applique classes just because I always learn something new from each instructor. Took classes with Ellie Sienkiewicz and Mary Sorenson, as well as several others. Took a LA class with Linda Taylor on doing feathers even though I'm not a LA'er. I have an upcoming 4-day class with David Taylor, another appliquer.

Right now my interest is in denser FM. But I've had several classes on that, including one with Diane Guadynski. (I've probably misspelled everyone's name!). So it's not likely I'd take another class on that.

Classes are fun. The possible only downsides for me are gathering up a bunch of special supplies that may not be used in class and the distinct possibility of another expensive UFO.

And I've also enjoyed and learned from many local/regional instructors.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:40 PM

For hand quilting - Jinny Beyer

For machine quilting - Harriet Hargrave (whose shop I am lucky enough to call local)
Old 04-23-2014, 06:14 PM

Karen McTavish and Judy Madsen(green fairy quilts) are my long arm gurus. Bonnie Hunter wins for piecing. There are lots more but they top the lists for me.