Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Do You Have More Than One Machine? >

Why Do You Have More Than One Machine?

Why Do You Have More Than One Machine?

Old 01-19-2013, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I've seen many posts about people saying they have several machines. I have a sewing/embroidery combination and that's my only one. What do you do with the different machines?
Why not? Most have different purposes. I have one machine in a table, one for travel, a serger, an embroidery machine, and two older machines. For years when I did garment sewing I only had one machine. I've also given away a couple of machines so I'm not totally hopeless.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:39 AM

I must confess I have several - a Bernina 820 (my main machine), a Juki 98 TL because of the bigger throat which I bought BEFORE my Bernina, a Babylock Serger with Air Threading, a Janome 350E embroidery only machine & I just bought Singer's 160th anniversary machine (actually bought it for my daughter but then she decided she wanted something else for Christmas so I decided to keep it for myself). I also several vintage machines including a 1946 FW, a 3/4 Singer + 4 other vintage machines( of which 2 were given to me). I may have to find new homes for 2 of them as I am running out of room. These machines are for decorative purposes only except the FW. 2 of them don't work but I really like the decals on them but alas I may have to give them up for some room.
This is my only hobby (next to golf) & I don't feel guilty at all. I just love sewing & quilting & love ALL of my machines & the modern machines get used all the time.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:47 AM

Sometimes it's like eating potato chips
Old 01-19-2013, 06:10 AM

I wish I had more than one machine...well I just wish I had a different machine than I have now (it's a pain in my butt). But I can only imagine different machines are used for different projects. Like one machine might be good for basic piecing or it's a good travel machine while the other machine is perfect for quilting your projects or machine applique.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:22 AM

Because I can....

I started getting multiple machines because when I went to trade in the "old one", it was cheaper to just buy the new one without the trade-in. They were having a great deal on new machines, so I kept the old one for my "workhorse". I have all Vikings, except for all my old antiques, the Singer that was my mother's from 1935, and several old machines that have been given to me. I don't often use the old ones, but all the Vikings are used for different purposes...the Diamond is exclusively set up for embroidery, the SE has the walking foot on it all the time. The Topaz 30 has the 1/4" foot on it for piecing. And the old Designer I is used for general purpose sewing.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:27 AM

I only have 2. A small one with multiple decorative stitches, and a larger straight stitch machine with a big throat. Sometimes tempted by others, but really these 2 are more than sufficient for my needs.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 AM

I used to be a one sewing machine only gal with a serger. I used my Viking Lily for garment sewing and started quilting on it. I decided I wanted a machine with a larger throat space, so I bought a Juki 2010Q and mainly used it. That was until last summer and fall when my DH and I went on a vintage sewing machine spree - don't ask me why, but we had great fun hunting! I've just recently started using my Featherweight and absolutely love it. It is a great machine to take to classes. I also have a Singer 99 set up in a cabinet waiting for me to try her out. Of the 40? vintage machines (crazy, huh?), I'll probably only use four - the FW, 99, 201 and a 15-91. DH is going to clean them up and we have some cabinets to refinish, so it will be a while before they are ready to use. But I can now see having several machine set up for different projects and for different purposes. The other vintage machines (hand cranks, treadles and electric) will be for display - they are just so pretty and interesting to look at. Plus I will continue to use the Viking and the Juki. They each have their own strengths.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 AM

I have 2 Brother embroidery machines, 1 small 4x4 frame, then the big one (to me) 8X11 frame, then I have the 4 Singers just sewing machines they are ones that I have bought over the years, can't seem to part with them all sew great. always need a back up or two((:) I of the Singers is an industrial factory sewing machine that I use for heavy
sewing like jean quilts..repair of jeans..
Old 01-19-2013, 06:33 AM

Well like others have posted I like the older Singers that make a beautiful straight stitch for piecing. I have several machines and use them for different types of sewing. 2 Featherweights, (was given 1 with the card table from my husband's cousin), Had 2 301-A's and gave 1 to my daughter, a 99 with the dome wooden lid/cover, a treadle that is in the process of becoming "unfrozen", a Babylock Imagine serger (that I love!), Bernina 180E, 2 Necchi's that may be beyond repair-but have been wonderful machines. So I guess I have 9 at the moment and if I happened to stumble across something that needed a home and to be loved again I would probably bring it home with me. I just remembered I gave away a featherweight, 2 White treadles and set one at the curb for the trash man so I have had another 3 that could be added to the 9 - but who is counting?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I have 3. A Bernini because I wanted a good machine 12 years ago. Since then I bought a featherweight as it is small and light and easy to travel with. I have my grandmother's treadle and can't bear to part with it