Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wichita Dilemma

Wichita Dilemma

This week we will be driving out to Wichita KS where we will stay for 4 months in a rental place near our daughter and her family. I will be joining Prairie Quilters, as I enjoyed a meeting there last June. Hope to make the afternoon Christmas party meeting on Dec. 8.
    My dilemma is whether or not to bring my Sweet 16 sit-down quilting machine. There is room for it where we'll be staying, and I will be bringing my travel Janome for sewing and maybe take to a workshop or something while out there. I think we can pack the table it fits on and the machines, etc. in our Prius along with all our stuff.
    Non quilters in the family think I'm crazy, friend from whom I bought the machine says, "Absolutely, bring it!" I don't know of anywhere out there that I could go to do quilting, as shops I've checked there only have long arms which I do not like. Don't want someone else to do quilting for me and my Jem is pretty small for quilting, though just fine for piecing. Daughter and family will be at school all day except for holiday break. Hubby will be watching football a lot when we are not out and about.

So am I crazy? Would you do it? Do you take a lot along on vacation?
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

If you can get it in the car then you go right ahead! Or you could just bring your DSM and whip out a ton of tops and quilt them later at home.
    Sandra B

If it fits in the car why not? You said you have room in the rental place, so why sit there and wish you had it with you? When we go anywhere for any length of time and are driving I take a machine. My husband used to try and talk me out of it, am I really going to use it? Then he took his bike a couple places and never got on it, so never says anything about it because if I have time, I sew. My sewing is very relaxing for me and it sounds like that is the same for you.

My only concern would be, since you are driving, it is going to take a few days to get there. Do you want to lug it into a hotel every night?

Blog Entries
    personally, i would take the dsm and do a lot of piecing. then quilt everything when you get back. i took too much to my daughter's in Canada and will not take so much the next time. don't forget that there is wear and tear on your equipment in just the traveling with it.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Four months could fly by or drag on depending on how much you have on the agenda. If you think you will have that much time to justify lugging it along the definitly bring it. If do not take it and run out of stuff to do you can make a trip to the local quilt store for another project😜

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    personally, i would take the dsm and do a lot of piecing. then quilt everything when you get back.
    I agree. I have taken my Bernina when I have gone on vacation but I wouldn't take a mid arm because there might not be the proper set up for it.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Hmm. Some good thoughts there. Will consider them carefully before I decide.

I am amazed that the Sweet 16 will fit in a Prius!?!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Have fun no matter what.

Blog Entries
    Wish I had your problem! Would love to have a Sweet 16 midarm some day! Have a great time, whichever way you decide.
    Mavis

Take it with you and you must go to Hen Feathers on Rock Road. My son was stationed in Wichita and I discovered this wonderful quilt store...you will love it. They are great and if they are running one of their great sales, you will be thrilled. Take the machine....I would go into withdrawal if I didn't take mine.
    Busy in Ohio

We spend 3 months in Texas in our motorhome during the winter. I take my sewing machine and piece tops or make other smaller items. I do my quilting on my DSM but there is not enough room in the motorhome for me to be able to do any quilting, so I do that when we are at home. I guess you have to decide if you can be happy with piecing tops or other small projects or if you need to do the quilting while you are there. I have also discovered that I enjoy doing hand embroidery so I make sure I have some projects to work on while we are in TX.

Sweetie is exactly 13" across, so if I move the passenger seat forward an inch I think it will go on the floor. If that's too tight, I might leave one seat back up and sit it there with a seat belt around it. I removed the screen and packed it with cords in a box with a selection of threads. The table should lay flat across the back with suitcases on top of it. One of the things I love about the Prius is the hatchback. A friend is stopping by to help us carry out the heavy stuff. There should be help at the other end to unpack. Dealer told me the cold shouldn't hurt it, tho I plan to put towels around it for good measure. Thank you, QuiltingHaven. I like your advice. Have been to Hen Feathers on previous trips and I think it's pretty near where we are staying. Plus there are about 9 quilt shops in Wichita which makes it heaven for me.

If you are planning to join a guild when you are there, maybe it would be worthwhile to check into their charity quilting and workshops. It is possible that you will have plenty to do with them, as well as piecing on your machine. If this is the first time you are spending 4 months at this location, you might try it without the machine the first winter and then you will know how much time you have and decide about the mid-arm for the following winter.

Have fun!

I fit 6 large rolls of 80/20 batting in my Prius and still had room for me and my Mom. LOL If you have enough room, pack her up and take her along. if you end up not using her, then you will know for the next time around. Enjoy the shops, the guild and most of all your family.

Don't listen to non quilters, pack that Sweet 16! I'm a camper and I take all my quilting things with me each time we head out, I have learned to put the ironing board over the kitchen sink and I sew my little heart out all the time.

Blog Entries
    I would definitely take a DMS with supplies and lots of UFOs and projects that are on my "want to do someday". Your mid arm is a big investment and I would leave it home and do all the quilting when I return. This will save it from any travelling wear.

The other question to consider is your vacation " time". It will fly by very quickly and you may be busy doing projects for your daughter. I just spent 9 weeks visiting my DD and thought I would have time for lots of "my" sewing but have been helping her out with a multitude of projects that she had on her " please help" list. I had a great time and the time passed way too quickly!
    Deb

personally, i would take the dsm and do a lot of piecing. then quilt everything when you get back. i took too much to my daughter's in Canada and will not take so much the next time. don't forget that there is wear and tear on your equipment in just the traveling with it.
    This is what I am thinking also. If you are really in a pinch that little Janome does some awesome quilting and could handle some small projects.
    Anna Quilts

If you have room (and it sounds like you do) ... why not take it? The very worst that can happen is you not used it... doubt that will happen.

That would be my choice too. I always have great expectations of what I am going to get done at retreats, and never accomplish half of it. Make as many tops as you can and quilt them when you get home. I would be afraid of damage along the way.

Blog Entries
    I just take handwork to do in the car and when we get to our destination. Not that far along on machine quilting. For 4 mo. stay, I would take whatever you think you will work on.
    Mariah.
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

You know "Murphy's Law" You will miss it a 100 times if you don't take it. Happy quilting.
    with a passion for quilting and vintage machines..Singers: 99, 4 featherweights, Redeye 66, Lotus 66, Phoenix 27, 15-91, 301A -- Janome 6600P and Janome embroidery 350 machine.
    Colleen S.

Power Poster
    If it fits, I'd be tempted to go for it, although if it doesn't, you can do a lot of piecing and quilt your projects when you get home. Do what feels best for you.

I hope you enjoy Wichita. I grew up just south of there (Wellington). By all means if you have the room, take it. I love to visit my sister in Wichita. They had a great quilt show a couple of yeas ago. Several different quilt shops, take money. lol Enjoy

Four months is more than what I view as a vacation. If you have all day, I think I would want it. It may fit in a Thule hard case on top of your car that locks, so you wouldn't have to move it until you arrive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast