Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wichita Dilemma >

Wichita Dilemma

Wichita Dilemma

Old 11-29-2015, 11:03 AM

Default Wichita Dilemma

This week we will be driving out to Wichita KS where we will stay for 4 months in a rental place near our daughter and her family. I will be joining Prairie Quilters, as I enjoyed a meeting there last June. Hope to make the afternoon Christmas party meeting on Dec. 8.
My dilemma is whether or not to bring my Sweet 16 sit-down quilting machine. There is room for it where we'll be staying, and I will be bringing my travel Janome for sewing and maybe take to a workshop or something while out there. I think we can pack the table it fits on and the machines, etc. in our Prius along with all our stuff.
Non quilters in the family think I'm crazy, friend from whom I bought the machine says, "Absolutely, bring it!" I don't know of anywhere out there that I could go to do quilting, as shops I've checked there only have long arms which I do not like. Don't want someone else to do quilting for me and my Jem is pretty small for quilting, though just fine for piecing. Daughter and family will be at school all day except for holiday break. Hubby will be watching football a lot when we are not out and about.

So am I crazy? Would you do it? Do you take a lot along on vacation?
Old 11-29-2015, 11:09 AM

If you can get it in the car then you go right ahead! Or you could just bring your DSM and whip out a ton of tops and quilt them later at home.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:18 AM

If it fits in the car why not? You said you have room in the rental place, so why sit there and wish you had it with you? When we go anywhere for any length of time and are driving I take a machine. My husband used to try and talk me out of it, am I really going to use it? Then he took his bike a couple places and never got on it, so never says anything about it because if I have time, I sew. My sewing is very relaxing for me and it sounds like that is the same for you.

My only concern would be, since you are driving, it is going to take a few days to get there. Do you want to lug it into a hotel every night?
Old 11-29-2015, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

personally, i would take the dsm and do a lot of piecing. then quilt everything when you get back. i took too much to my daughter's in Canada and will not take so much the next time. don't forget that there is wear and tear on your equipment in just the traveling with it.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:07 PM

Four months could fly by or drag on depending on how much you have on the agenda. If you think you will have that much time to justify lugging it along the definitly bring it. If do not take it and run out of stuff to do you can make a trip to the local quilt store for another project😜
Old 11-29-2015, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
personally, i would take the dsm and do a lot of piecing. then quilt everything when you get back.
I agree. I have taken my Bernina when I have gone on vacation but I wouldn't take a mid arm because there might not be the proper set up for it.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:19 PM

Hmm. Some good thoughts there. Will consider them carefully before I decide.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:22 PM

I am amazed that the Sweet 16 will fit in a Prius!?!
Old 11-29-2015, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

Have fun no matter what.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:26 PM

Wish I had your problem! Would love to have a Sweet 16 midarm some day! Have a great time, whichever way you decide.