Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will not ship to Box number!

I noticed that some ebay sellers will not ship to postal boxes!They just lost my patronage. My shipping address in the states is a postal box as I live in Canada. Many sellers do not send to Canada due to shipping rates etc , so I have my purchases sent to a postal box in the states. We pick it up when we are down for business. I just ordered a large order from Connecting Threads . They sent to our postal box. So i don't get it as long as you are paid why not ship to a box??

Blog Entries
    It depends on how they ship. You can't ship UPS or FedEx to a PO box. Only USPS.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Katie must be right. I ship to Canada and po boxes but have only used USPS

That stinks!! I've noticed at my local shipping store has boxes for rent. I know they ship both Fed Ex and UPS. I wonder if a privately owned place like this one would accept delivery for you of UPS and Fed Ex packages?

It's also a security issue. People are known as having P.O. boxes to "front" illegal activities. Many online scammers use P.O. boxes to collect checks etc. so that when they start feeling any heat they close up shop and open a new P.O. box elsewhere.

I sell occasionally on ebay and will ship to P.O. boxes but I only use USPS and I make sure to check feedback and prior history before I do so. It's unfortunately, another added risk to doing business that some folks don't feel comfortable taking.

Blog Entries
    I know how that stinks. I live in an area that has no mail delivery only PO Boxes. When I get that- will not ship to PO boxes - I use my 911 address - then they try to tell me that is not a valid address. Oh well - that is the only other option. Just ship it - even the UPS/FEDEx guys here understand and still are able to deliver it. Believe me I sympathize with you.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Many shipping stores that have boxes for rent give you a "real" address so places that don't ship to P.O. boxes will ship to them.

Blog Entries
    For out of town orders, I have a post office box, just for this. Where I live I've lost way too many packages just left on the porch where way too many people can see them and they follow other people home.

Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    It depends on how they ship. You can't ship UPS or FedEx to a PO box. Only USPS.
    Interestingly - - I recently ordered some rotary cutter blades from Harbor Freight - - It was shipped FedEx - - it arrived from my rural route postal carrier ...

I believe this is due to their shipping method. They are using UPS or FedEx. If you call or email, they may be happy to send by the postal service, however some larger businesses may have no way to accomplish that.

Because if they require a signature for proof of delivery it can't be provided with a postal box.

There are many reasons. The actual shipping problems can be gotten around if the buyer uses a box with a real address or the seller doesn't ask for signature.

When I sold on ebay, the postal box people had a bad rap. Some prominent sellers had repeated issues with the box folks that had nothing to do with the shipping. Nasty communications and bad feedback mostly.

So, for many folks, it's just easier not to do it. Same with APO/FPO shipping. It's easy to me but slightly outside the norm for others. So, they don't do it.

The Shipper did not want a signature! It is disappointing that I can't buy from them but there are many others that I can buy from. I only use the box if they do not ship to Canada.

We use a Mailpost (like the ups store) that has mail boxes inside the store. This gives us a physical address not a PO Box for example 123 main street box 23 I no longer have to worry about my mail being stolen and can receive all my packages here.

I have a PO box, and I've received items at the box that were shipped via UPS. It's not unusual to see a UPS truck at the PO's loading dock.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorky Lvs2Quilt
    Because if they require a signature for proof of delivery it can't be provided with a postal box.
    I've sent items to PO boxes which require a signature (delivery confirmation). Also, I've received certified mail (which requires signature) at my PO box.

Blog Entries
    yep, sad but true.

Blog Entries
    Many of them have stopped because of bad experiences they have had.

Banned
    Oh that is soo wrong but I do understand why.

Banned
    Oh that is soo wrong but I do understand why. they dont want to pay a salery for some one to just come in when the ups or fedex trucks show up.

I'm like Gennynut. I have a P.O. Box in the US for my parcels. What really ticks me off is inaccurate information on their shipping policies....like shipping Fed Ex when it is stated in their policies that P.O. boxes are fine and USPS is used. Believe me shipping policies are a deal breaker for me when it comes to shopping.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dream56
    I know how that stinks. I live in an area that has no mail delivery only PO Boxes. When I get that- will not ship to PO boxes - I use my 911 address - then they try to tell me that is not a valid address. Oh well - that is the only other option. Just ship it - even the UPS/FEDEx guys here understand and still are able to deliver it. Believe me I sympathize with you.
    What is a 911 address? I also do not have mail service where I live and have to have a PO Box. Luckily, where we have our PO Box the woman that runs it accepts FedEx and UPS packages and usps packages.

A couple years ago, I purchased some items from Target online and when I put in my Po Box address, it wouldnt accept my order. I had to find someone that I trusted enough and ask them if I could have a package mailed to them for me. Whats the big deal, I don't understand, especially when you are paying for the merchandise up front.

Its sad really. Alot of companies are going to lose out on alot of money by not delivering to a PO Box. :(

Blog Entries
    It is an actual physical address with a house number to be used in case of an emergency. Our county emergency system gave these addresses for areas who did not have mail delivery. Our address is actually posted on the house(ex 123 Route 100 Hometown, PA), but when I've tried to use it for deliveries many times they tell me it is not a valid address since it is not in the postal computers. I get told they can not ship to a PO Box address(my only mail delivery available) and then - no you can not use this address either because it is not valid. So frustrating.

Used to live in small town that only had boxes at the tiny post office, no home delivery. We'd use the Post Office's street address for those kinds of delivery, never had a problem. Where there's a will, , , , there's a way (-;

Blog Entries
    My post office doesn't have an street address either. I know they can just overwrite it in their system and Fedex or UPS will deliver it, but some of them just won't do it. I live a small town rural area and on a main road only about 15 houses away from the post office. I just feel if they can't use either my po address or street address - I just cancel and order elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast