Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wondering if Die-Cut quilting shapes would be of interest? >

Wondering if Die-Cut quilting shapes would be of interest?

Wondering if Die-Cut quilting shapes would be of interest?

Old 11-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Banned

Default Wondering if Die-Cut quilting shapes would be of interest?

I love old machines.
I love repairing old machines
I love putting old repaired machines back to work.

I have an "Ideal Clicker Model C" that was made in 1942

It's function in life is to stamp out shapes in materials using "dies"

The dies start out as 36" long 1" tall single edged knife blades which are bent into almost any shape and then the ends are welded shut. (Imagine a 900 pound cookie cutter) it hits with 15-20 tons of force allowing it to drive through a stack of up to 5/8" leather in a single "whump"!!

It will also cut other materials like cardboard, fabric, and even some plywood and veneers.

It will do STACKS of fabric. I have made a die shaped like a pennant flag for a buddy who runs a kids soccer program and we can cut through about 10 layers of nylon at one time. We made 500 flags in a couple hours of work. (using the "Clicker" and a serger)

The issue with these machines is that they will cut out in one hour enough leather for 2 months worth of projects and they need to keep in use to keep running smooth.

I am not looking to sell the beastie, but to find additional uses to keep it busy...

SO......

Does having quilting shapes mass produced sound like something that could be useful for Quilters?
(I am not one myself, but I have contributed to several others addictions...)

Steve
Old 11-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

I wonder if a fabric shop would like to cut their own layer cakes(10 inch squares), turnovers, honey buns etc.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:11 PM

I would love to see a pic of this thing. I love die cutting and I use only the GO cutter and going to get the sizzix pretty soon to cut more layers. So I think yes it would be useful for quilters especially when trying to find a cheaper price than the precuts.
Good luck
Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 PM

people sell squares of all sizes on ebay, as well as strips in different widths....so am thinking as long as you can make the dies, you could make money selling fabric pre-cuts!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Banned

Ok, Here it is...

The Red arrow points to the Clicker, the Green arrow points to a couple dies hanging on the wall.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]378689[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails clicker.jpg  
Old 11-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Banned

yep, I can make the dies.

This main idea of this unique device is that it will let yo do the HARD stuff easy.

i.e. If you are only making squares, buy em or cut them yourself, but imagine of you wanted "Stars" or " odd triangles" or such.

Thanks for all the feedback folks!
Steve
Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

Hi Steve, there's a site that sells steel rule dies for quilters:
http://www.accuquilt.com/studio-shop.html
They also sell a machine that will accept the dies (roller type), and make custom dies. The only difference I know of is that the accuquilt dies are fully foam covered. Most clicker/printer dies either have those small foam rectangles around the blade or no foam support at all. I've used 'used' steel rule printer dies in my roller type device.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 PM

I think what you are asking is if we quilters think cutting out fabrics in different shapes for applique would be a good and viable business idea? It could, but the problem I foresee is that most quilters might want shapes cut of specific fabrics that go with their quilt. For instance, you might cut out thousands of oak leaves, but if the fabrics you picked don't go with my quilt, then I wouldn't buy them.

Having said that, there IS a market of sorts out there for precut shapes. John Flynn has laser-cut quilt kits for sale, they feature pre-cut fabrics and all you have to do is sew it up. As long as you like the fabrics Flynn has picked out, you're good to go.
http://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/sho.../pre-cut-kits/

Keepsake Quilting sells groups of pre-cut shapes, including hearts, teddy bears, holiday shapes, etc.
http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod....L1/Shapes.htm
Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I think what you are asking is if we quilters think cutting out fabrics in different shapes for applique would be a good and viable business idea?
If you are looking to sell the pre-cut fabric shapes, my experience was that there was no interest, using their fabric or my own. Inquired with my quilting group, and there were no takers, except for the Winding Ways pattern. I have hundreds of dies, so quite the selection.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

I'll love to order stacks of pre cut batting squares !!!!!