Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wool Batting

Blog Entries

Wool Batting

I just made my first quilt with wool batting, using Hobbs wool batting. I use Elmers school glue to baste, and I had some pieces of fabric glued to batting that I cut away when I trimmed the quilt. I soaked them in water to remove the glue, and the batting smelled like a barnyard when it was wet. When it dried, it didn't smell any more. Then when the quilt was finished, I laundered it and, again, when it was wet it smelled; not as bad as the unwashed wool, but very noticeable--by husband noticed the smell when the quilt was lying on a bed, drying. Have other people had this experience as well? It doesn't smell now that it's dry, so I guess it's not a problem, and it is from an animal, so the smell makes sense, but I've never smelled anything like that when I've washed wool sweaters.

Never have tried the Hobbs wool batting that is washable. I have a very old Hobbs wool batting that I have never used because I thought it wasn't washable.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    The new Hobbs batting says you can wash it in delicate cycle in cold water. I don't know about the older stuff, but you can call them and ask; they're very helpful.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    My favorite bed quilt has Hobbs wool batting. I use this quilt every night and sometimes even sleep under just it, no sheet, all night. It is washed a lot. On regular cycle, with cold water detergent, spin dry; in the dryer until nearly dry.
    This quilt has not shrunk, does not smell, has not come apart, is soft and warm and absolutely "MY BLANKY"!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    I have just about the same quilt as Jan in VA! I wash mine in warm water through and dry it in the dryer - I would say I have done this about 12 times in 4 years and it never stinks. I love wool batting for many reasons and have used it frequently and it has never had an odor.
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Did you try JUST some wool scraps? I had some fabric once that was stinky...and it RAN..Guess where the rest of THAT fabric ended up!?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
    Did you try JUST some wool scraps? I had some fabric once that was stinky...and it RAN..Guess where the rest of THAT fabric ended up!?
    It was the wool scraps. But I think that after a few washings it will not smell any more. I was just wondering if others had had that experience.