Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool fabrics >

Wool fabrics

Wool fabrics

Old 07-18-2015, 06:10 PM

Default Wool fabrics

I have a quick pattern for a baby quilt that I am thinking of making for my brother/SIL who are expecting a little one in February.

It is a variation on this pattern: http://www.desireesdesigns.com/shop/Patterns/Baby-Patterns/p/Bees-Bunnies-and-Bears-x3160110.htm

I am taking a wool applique class at my LQS next month & am really excited to put my new skills to work. My only concern is whether the wool fabric will wash okay. I figure my best bet is to try & make the entire thing out of wool (piecing, applique, batting), but I honestly don't know. I know Hobb's has the washable wool batting that will hold up to the demands of a baby quilt. I'm just not sure about the fabrics. Does anyone have any experience with washing wool quilting fabrics? I think I would order Primitive Gatherings since their wools are colorfast and they are close enough for me to visit once. They even dye threads to match!

I really like that with cotton fabrics I can tell recipients that they can wash the quilt once a week for 20 years and it will hold up (based on cotton fabric studies involving the density of quilting I use). I know that in general wool fabric is hardier than cotton, but I worry about the laundering. I always recommend that recipients wash quilts in cold water on gentle/hand wash cycle, no bleach, tumble dry on low heat. If that would work with wool fabrics, I would be soooooo happy!

Please advise! Thanks!!!
Old 07-18-2015, 11:28 PM
Power Poster

I've made many wool applique quilts, they launder beautifully. I generally use wool on flannel for kids/baby quilts- makes for wonderful soft, cozy, snuggly quilts. I don't know that I would want a quilt all wool for a baby. Not because of laundering ( wool launders, wears and holds up better than cottons) but because people sometimes have reactions to wool & baby's skin is very tender/fragile. All wool would make a very heavy quilt. Hobbs and Dream wool battings are my absolute favorites! Lightweight, lofty and wonderful! That is a very cute pattern. I would use cozy, soft flannel for backgrounds and wool for the appliques... But that's just me.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:30 AM

Hmmm.... okay. Thanks!

I was thinking about that at one point -- how some babies don't like the feel of wool. But I've known others that really love it. I guess I figured it probably didn't matter too terribly much if s/he doesn't like the feel of it because I can always put a sleeve on it. The last quilt I made for their oldest child I spent 200 hours on, making sure to put in multiple redundancies so that it would wash well & be safe for a 1-year old. They decided it was "too pretty" for a baby to play with & that they are going to keep it for her when she's older. I have no idea why. What on earth is an older child going to do with a crib quilt? I'd rather the quilt get stains all over it than be packed away in plastic in a storage unit. So sad. Instead they got some $50 quilt from BuyBuy Baby that they use on a daily basis. I almost want to just tell them "no more quilts for your children until you start using them!".

I'll look for some coordinating flannels so it's nice and soft in the event they actually allow their youngest child to touch the quilt. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2015, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
What on earth is an older child going to do with a crib quilt? I'd rather the quilt get stains all over it than be packed away in plastic in a storage unit.
I would tell them this. I was in a similar situation - made a quilt for a friend's baby, and mom was scared to use it. I told her (gently but firmly) that she would offend me if she did NOT use it, and once the baby had outgrown/worn out the baby quilt, it would give me an excuse to make another quilt. She changed her mind and used the quilt daily.

Maywood Studios makes a line of flannel called "Woolies".

http://www.fatquartershop.com/maywoo...maywood-studio

Last edited by Peckish; 07-19-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:45 AM

I don't know anything about wool, but just wanted to say what a cute pattern!
Old 07-19-2015, 01:07 PM

Being deathly allergic to furry animals, I'd consider that the baby might be allergic to wool, but that's just me.