Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: The worst mistake you ever made{quilting}?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura3
    Maybe not the worst, but frustrating....I traced my applique designs carefully on freezer paper and cut out my fabric pieces. As I started to iron I realized that I had used the new Pilot Friction Pen and as soon as I began ironing all the lines disappeared!! Never even thought about it, just grabbed the pen!! So I had to retrace all of my lines....
    Isn't it something when you want some to go away they don't and when they are to stay they don't. Did you finish and it all come out right?

Quote Originally Posted by kem77
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura3
    Maybe not the worst, but frustrating....I traced my applique designs carefully on freezer paper and cut out my fabric pieces. As I started to iron I realized that I had used the new Pilot Friction Pen and as soon as I began ironing all the lines disappeared!! Never even thought about it, just grabbed the pen!! So I had to retrace all of my lines....
    Isn't it something when you want some to go away they don't and when they are to stay they don't. Did you finish and it all come out right?
    I just retraced all the lines on the freezer paper with a permanent pen and then pressed them to the fabric. Its just frustrating to do the tracing all over again!! Not too bad....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjoan
    You have been stitching about the same way for many, many quilts, therefore, your mind wanders as you are stitching. You are so experienced nothing can go wrong. Right!!! Girls, love yourselves and rip out your mistakes and have a good, good laugh! Love, Quilting Joan
    Very inspirational reply , my mind wanders on many occasions. I am going to have to put a rope around the seam ripper if i do any by machine. Thank you for your rally on!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kem77
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjoan
    You have been stitching about the same way for many, many quilts, therefore, your mind wanders as you are stitching. You are so experienced nothing can go wrong. Right!!! Girls, love yourselves and rip out your mistakes and have a good, good laugh! Love, Quilting Joan
    Very inspirational reply , my mind wanders on many occasions. I am going to have to put a rope around the seam ripper if i do any by machine. Thank you for your rally on!!!!
    My ripper had a very annoying habit of hiding when I really needed it so I got some of those velcro dots that have a sticky back and put one on the machine, right above the backstitch button and the other on the ripper lid. Now it's always there and no longer being borrowed by the "Borrowers" that live in my walls. LoL!!

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I have sewn my clothes to a quilt. Now I sew int he nude!!
    ROFLMBO

My disasters are legion! But seemingly happen all in one block. I can go weeks without incident....but then you get a doozy of a day. Yesterday I accidentally ironed my fabric whilst it was on my cutting mat (note to self do not be lazy and put mat on ironing board)...repeatedly sewed the fabric wrong way about for a zippered back, put the wrong colour bobbin thread in the machine, not once but twice, forgot to switch needles and change stitch length between jobs....then had to unpick tiny stitches after wondering why the needle broke - twice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker
    My disasters are legion! But seemingly happen all in one block. I can go weeks without incident....but then you get a doozy of a day. Yesterday I accidentally ironed my fabric whilst it was on my cutting mat (note to self do not be lazy and put mat on ironing board)...repeatedly sewed the fabric wrong way about for a zippered back, put the wrong colour bobbin thread in the machine, not once but twice, forgot to switch needles and change stitch length between jobs....then had to unpick tiny stitches after wondering why the needle broke - twice.
    Oh my what a day that was.I would have had to get up and look at the calendar to see if it was friday the 13.Or if there was to be a full moon out that night. I am one that I would have to call it a night and to start fresh another day. I get to a point when I know it is not ment to be done that day. I left my cutting mat on the table one day, came back the next day and it was worped. {can't understand???} read the instructions I had saved .Why I never read. Do not leave or put near heat.Was to sunny of a day. Oh well that is now my Do Anything Mat!!!Love to have to rebuy supplies. Nothing to this sewing>hahaha :lol:

Snipping quilt while snipping thread? Did it last week-- but on the front of the block! I've done it all (except sewing my clothes to the quilt) lol

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I have sewn my clothes to a quilt. Now I sew int he nude!!
    I wish I could do that..but my knees chafe!

I had couple of glasses of wine then cut the backing out for a flannel/jean quilt (for football games), was off by about 6 inches all around, bad thing was I actually tried to attach the top and back before I realized what I did. Just cut a complimentary boarder out of a different flannel, no one knew but of course I told everyone!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogmom
    I had couple of glasses of wine then cut the backing out for a flannel/jean quilt (for football games), was off by about 6 inches all around, bad thing was I actually tried to attach the top and back before I realized what I did. Just cut a complimentary boarder out of a different flannel, no one knew but of course I told everyone!
    Good job!!I think that is why I have to stay away from the wine. If I dont want to do the same.I only have it once in awhile but ,love it and feel it after one glass sometimes. :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TXyankee
    Snipping quilt while snipping thread? Did it last week-- but on the front of the block! I've done it all (except sewing my clothes to the quilt) lol
    ouch!!!

The last quilt I did I sewed the blocks together and after sandwiching it together found that one whole row of blocks were upside down. I quilted up to the wrong blocks then unpicked the binding, sashing and blocks and turned it all around before finishing the quilt. I blame my grandkids for distracting my though patterns.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Oh Lord I have made my fair share of silly mistakes...but the one that tops the cake is when I got my very first sewing machine. I was determined to free motion quilt although I had no idea what free motion quilting was or how I would do it. I remembered seeing a tv show years ago that did something similar to it, telling my Mom, "Oh yeah, isn't it called crazy stitching or something like that?" At the time I was new to my machine and barely knew how to use it....

I made a baby quilt and I free motioned the CRAP out if it...but I failed to drop the feeds or change my foot!!! I just about burned the motor out of that machine with that little quilt, you could smell it smoking as I was jerking the pieces back and forth for a few hours!!! OH my gosh I just had no idea then. Lol*

Sew a lot in my night gown. I have pinched a part of my woman anatomy between the handles of the scissors when I went to cut. I didn't realize how much pressure you put on those handles to cut. Boy do I ever now. Did you get a smile out of that? Hope so, if not I'll have to send you one of my really bad jokes.
    Robin in TX

Now, that made me laugh out loud. I needed a laugh!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rob529
    Sew a lot in my night gown. I have pinched a part of my woman anatomy between the handles of the scissors when I went to cut. I didn't realize how much pressure you put on those handles to cut. Boy do I ever now. Did you get a smile out of that? Hope so, if not I'll have to send you one of my really bad jokes.
    Robin in TX
    That was awesome.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney
    Now, that made me laugh out loud. I needed a laugh!
    :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Doing to many projects that someone else has started!!!!I think it is time to re-think which one to work on now.

My worse mistake was cutting up the only pair of jeans I could fit in while making my jean quilt. I really miss those jeans! :cry:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
    My worse mistake was cutting up the only pair of jeans I could fit in while making my jean quilt. I really miss those jeans! :cry:
    How did the quilt come out? A keeper?!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7