Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The worst mistake you ever made{quilting}? >

The worst mistake you ever made{quilting}?

The worst mistake you ever made{quilting}?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
I have sewn my clothes to a quilt. Now I sew int he nude!!
Sew in the nude....I can't even walk across the carpet in my bare feet in my quilt studio!!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by kcferrel
Originally Posted by kwhite
I have sewn my clothes to a quilt. Now I sew int he nude!!
ha ha ha...... my husband will love this!
Mine liked that too. After 34 yrs. that is no new suprise.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:02 AM

Once I was making a baby quilt and it was a rush job....the block was the friendship star...an easy block and it went together like clockwork. I got the whole quilt top done....2 borders and all and after pressing it, held it up for my husband to see. His question was: Are all the blocks supposed to be stars? I had mis-placed the half square triangles in 3 of the blocks and because I was rushing never noticed. Have you ever taken the seam ripper to interior blocks...and then tried to get the block sewn back into the quilt correctly. I remember in the middle of it....tossing the quilt top to the floor, stomping on it and stomping out of the room.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ywoodruff5
I never make "mistakes" - just have "creative opportunities" ... and have had lots of them.....lol. Cut noticeable hole in Laurel Birch quilt I was making for fair.....so I did embroidered butterfly on top of it - worked great. On back of same quilt (which used hot ribbon applique on front) I had long, winding tuck.....I put hot ribbon over tuck and added leaves and a fish for label....looked like it was intentional. There is always a solution and sometimes we just need to walk away for a bit.
That is one reason I would have the Quilt in MN and live in CA
Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieF
Once I was making a baby quilt and it was a rush job....the block was the friendship star...an easy block and it went together like clockwork. I got the whole quilt top done....2 borders and all and after pressing it, held it up for my husband to see. His question was: Are all the blocks supposed to be stars? I had mis-placed the half square triangles in 3 of the blocks and because I was rushing never noticed. Have you ever taken the seam ripper to interior blocks...and then tried to get the block sewn back into the quilt correctly. I remember in the middle of it....tossing the quilt top to the floor, stomping on it and stomping out of the room.
Are you to say never Quilting again!!!! HaHa
Old 03-04-2011, 09:12 AM

LOL Well ladies it is not our mistakes that define us, it is our solutions. Thankfully I sew in the basement and there are no windows. My close friends know to call first before just stopping by. HAHAHAHA
Old 03-04-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by BJ SewKkrazzy
Crazy quilters don't make mistakes...we just cover them with embelishments...I once had an open spot in between two pieces of fabric when I got done sewing...emblished a piece of lace over and away I went....no one knows what we hide!!!!
LOL! Love it!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:36 AM

:thumbup: :oops:
Old 03-04-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by gmaybee
I teach quilting and also make samples for the store I work at. I finished a sample top and took it in to send it to the owner before they display it. I was teaching that day and all the students wanted to see the quilt. I unfolded it and held it up for the students to see and noticed that right in the middle of the quilt I had turned one of the blocks a 1/4 turn. I ended up spending my lunch taking it out and sewing it in the correct direction. I guess I showed my students that no matter how long you have been quilting you can still make mistakes.

I think it's the Amish that say every quilt should have one piece that doesn't follow the pattern, so the quilt isn't "perfect", 'cuz only God is perfect!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:47 AM

I'm admitting this only to make others feel better:
While making a full-size QAYG bedspread on a deadline for DGS, I patiently and diligently sewed the bottom to the end/foot of the top with a rather tight binding stitch (don't want grandma's quilts to fall apart). Only after finishing the entire seam did I realize that I had the batting on top instead of the middle! I quickly decided that the bedspread could just be 1.5" - 2" shorter and cut the seam off rather than rip out the stitching.
Now, don't you all feel better? ;D