Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you buy a Featherweight needing work? >

Would you buy a Featherweight needing work?

Would you buy a Featherweight needing work?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 PM

I would buy it! They are very very easy to get to work and you can clean and maintain them easily. If you want to use and enjoy it, who cares if some of the decals are worn off. I found mine at the curb.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-173205.jpe  
Old 03-22-2011, 03:53 AM

For that price I certainly would buy it. It wouldn't cost all that much to have it humming along. Featherweights are so popular that the prices are still quite high especially for a so called mint condition one. Course there are the few lucky people that have found them for virtually nothing but for most of us don't find those.

Basically it just depends on your available funds and the ability to have it tuned up, electrical cords checked, etc. But if you've wanted one forever, then I'd go for it. Quite possibly the needle isn't placed in the machine properly and their may be minor issues that are easily fixed. Finding the belt isn't a problem at all. The are easily available. Did you try to post this to Billy our expert on vintage machines? Any concerns you have would be addressed honestly and accurately by him. Plus all the other people on the board that have them and have faced the same issues you are concerned about. Post on the Vintage Sewing topic area and you'd be amazed at the help you'd find there.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:09 AM

I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:15 AM

I don't think you can get hurt on this. They can be pretty high and probably it might just need a good cleaning and new belt and some TLC it sounds like. I think you would be happy with the end result.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:18 AM

we have a little quilt shop/vac center that repairs machines. I'd buy it fix it up and then you have a sturdy little forever machine.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:20 AM

Me too but would offer less and see if they would take it because of the condition. You may be surprised. I would not be afraid of the condition, those machines never quit. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:30 AM

I would go for it. My repairman says the only thing that breaks down is the motor will eventually wear out and can replace for a little over $100. I would have mine replaced in a heartbeat. Ive replaced my belt for $10 and put it on myself.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mamatron
I was wondering if you would buy a Featherweight that was in poor condition? The one i speak of is scratched up, missing some of the gold detail, and the biggest concern is that the belt has almost totally disintegrated and may or may not have gunked up the motor? It powers on and you can see the "thingy" spin but due to the belt's condition is does not move. Is $95 too much?
I am not sewing machine savvy other than knowing that this is a great sewing machine with metal parts so there is definitely value in it. It’s a simple machine. My DH compares it to working on an older car, they were easy to fix in comparison to today’s cars. You could post this question here http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm and check with your sewing machine repair person to get their input. So many on here have gotten FW’s that weren’t working and brought them back to working condition and were very happy. It could be something simple that is an easy fix. Here is another link about FW’s you might find helpful
http://singerfeatherweight221.blogsp...herweight.html I got my 1st FW in January of this year and am very happy with her. I paid $225 and she was in great shape. Had my sewing machine repairman take a look at her and she was just fine :) She purrs like a kitten and sews a beautiful straight stitch. I wouldn’t let a couple scratches on her or missing gold detail stop me from getting her.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
I would buy it! They are very very easy to get to work and you can clean and maintain them easily. If you want to use and enjoy it, who cares if some of the decals are worn off. I found mine at the curb.
I can't believe someone kicked her to the curb! Glad you found her.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:13 AM

If you decide not to buy it, I would be happy to.