Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a Featherweight needing work?

I just did a quick search for featherweight motors and found they can cost more than $100, also, the bobbin case (if missing) can cost close to $50.

I would not. If the machine has a lot of wear it might need a new bobbin house or other things. I made this mistake once. The same parts wear on antique machines so those are nearly unaffordable to buy. I would budget $200-350 and a get machine with a case that has light cosmetic damage, one that looks lightly used but not abused, but is in good working condition. I have two Feather weights in good condition and payed $100 black -$200 white/creme.

My husband sells waterslide decals as well as refubishes & paints them.

I would buy it for that price. Belts can be replaced and there is very little a good sewing machine repair man can't fix. These machines are very basic and not much goes wrong with them.

Brenda

Blog Entries
    If you do not want it
    SEND IT TO ME.
    J J

Karen, I have a large freeze and I plan on putting the case in there. Will let you know, if it works. Thanks for the info.
    :lol:

Glenda, Does your husband have handles for the cases. I have a black one and a white one that could use new handles. Especially, the white one, because it is has a piece of a belt on it.That machine I purchased on ebay. (Be careful on ebay because there are some sharks on there). This one was fine but the first one was not. Please let me know if he has any. The FW's are the best machines to work on and to travel with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda Holmes
    I would buy it fast. My husband deals in refurbishing & painting featherweights. & he would buy one in that condition. So would I. The ugliest one I ever had sewed like a dream, so to me it was gorgeous. There is no such a thing as an ugly featherweight to me.

yep sold..........

I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I have two which, although they weren't in bad shape, needed a cleaning and my grandma's needed a new electric cord. I bought the manual from featherweight221.com, took it apart, replaced my cracked belt and the electric cord, cleaned and oiled her and she just purrs. And it was simple, simple, simple. Thought I'd just mention that option. It's worth the price and you can do it yourself.

The conditions that you talk about are only superficial. Buy it. You should be able to get a belt from JoAnns for under $3? defintely under $5. and be able to put it on yourself you will also get a belt or ring for the bobbin winder and with a little coaxing and a little oil it should be good as new. I rescued one that sat under 3 feet of water during a flood and let it dry out and oiled it up and it purred right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamatron
    I was wondering if you would buy a Featherweight that was in poor condition? The one i speak of is scratched up, missing some of the gold detail, and the biggest concern is that the belt has almost totally disintegrated and may or may not have gunked up the motor? It powers on and you can see the "thingy" spin but due to the belt's condition is does not move. Is $95 too much?
    It sounds like all fixable things. the beauty of these machines lies in the "guts" and not too much can go wrong with that if a good person oils, etc. belts are easily replaced. don't see how the belt falling apart could affect
    the motor. at $95 I would grab it and run. get Dave McCallums book on 221's & fix it all yourself. also a DVD so you can see what to do. I'd buy it & pay the postage if you decide not to get it.

Blog Entries
    These little machines are a gem! Very easy to fix and not a big expense for parts. Can you post a picture?

If you've seen it and like it I would go ahead! If you are hesitant (spelling?) in any way-don't do it. There are plenty out there. I would definitely ask for a reduced price since it needs help. My centinenal she was asking 200. but after trying it out before I bought it I found some problems. I walked away paying 75 for it. She was fine with that and was not the least bit insulted. She wanted it to go to a good home so I assured her it would be very well taken care of. And it is! There are four other siblings. My husband fixed it and she works like a charm! I paid 220 for my first (I just had to have it!) but under 200 for my other Featherweights.

Mine was rode hard and put up wet, but I wouldn't part with her. She sings along and makes a perfect stitch. That is the important thing. He decals are wearing and she had surface damage and shows suffering, but that means nothing when she sews so sweetly. PS, she cost quite a bit more than the one you are speaking of.

I just bought one off e-bay last wk. pd. 265.00. I have not recieved it yet. But they are fairly expensive. I hope I got a good buy.

I'd buy it.

Sorry,no he does not have the handles. If you will contact Glenn Williams. Email address: [email protected]

Just make sure the bobbin case (the thingy that hold the bobbin in place) is there. That's the most expensive part to replace, but then replacement parts are available and if you don't mind putting a few dollars more in it, grab it quick. I bought a white one with lots of surface damage, had it painted and repaired and I do have quite a bit in it but don't regret a penny as it's such a sweet machine and wonderful to take to classes. Also have three black ones. Love the featherweights!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by libber
    What is it's birthdate and where was it made? FW's were/are designed as a very simple machine, to maintain and repair. Even I know how to do almost all of it.
    Most of the things you listed sound more cosmetic. You can even get replacement decals. Belts are easy. Get Dave McCallum's DVD. It is very good.
    i got this DVD he also has parts & tools to sell for fw

Yes, $95 is too much. Keep looking, you'll find a better buy.
    Pauline

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joannd
    How did you get the odor out? I have a white one and the case handle needs to be replaced but the odor comes and goes.
    Any suggestions? :)
    I keep a pair of Odoreaters brand charcoal shoe inserts in the case. They not only pad the machine, but the charcoal absorbs all the odor so the case never smells.

Thank you for the info on the Odoreaters. I like that idea. I will give it a try. Especially, where it takes out the odor and it also pads the machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    Quote Originally Posted by joannd
    How did you get the odor out? I have a white one and the case handle needs to be replaced but the odor comes and goes.
    Any suggestions? :)
    I keep a pair of Odoreaters brand charcoal shoe inserts in the case. They not only pad the machine, but the charcoal absorbs all the odor so the case never smells.

Thanks to all who replied. I had already bought "Ugly Betty" but my DH was not too pleased with the price, so I posted this thread so that we could see which of us was crazy. I wanted the responses to be honest and unbiased because I now we quilters have to back each other up LOL. I found out why he was irritated with me for buying it just a few days later, he had already bought me a FW on e-bay and didn't want to ruin the surprise. Sometimes he really surprises me! I haven't even had any time to mess with them but hope to get on it this week.

Is parts 221parts.com the best place to buy parts? Is there a tutorial specific to the FW on this board or is it the vintage machines in general? Thanks everyone, you are all so helpful.

OMG, That is so sweet! What a lovely man you have. So now you have two? They really are like potato chips.

I don't know what it is about them, they are just so dang cute, and functional too. My grand daughter is not even a year old yet and I am already looking for her first sewing machine, a Featherweight, of course. I would love to find a white one, but my husband said that if I found a banged up black one for a good price we would have it painted pink for her. My luck, she will be a tomboy and rather have a football then a sewing machine, but I can always hope.

Is parts 221parts.com the best place to buy parts? Is there a tutorial specific to the FW on this board or is it the vintage machines in general? Thanks everyone, you are all so helpful.[/quote]

I have numerous vintage machines, including 4 featherweights and when I'm in need of parts, the first place I check is Jenny at sew-classic.com and if she doesn't have them, I check elsewhere.

Most sewing machine repair places have parts for featherweights. They are all basic parts. easy to find.
    Pauline

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast