Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you mend my ******

Asking a quilter to "mend" is like,
    Asking VanGogh to paint a "garage"!

Have this on a sweatshirt. Think it says it all!

Bev
    [quote=mytwopals
    Oh. Did I mention I'm a 50 year old male?] quote

LOVE IT!!!

8-)

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by SHayes
    I have heard asking a quilter to mend is like asking Michaelango to paint your house!
    I love this one too!!!

8-)

Blog Entries
    Mend and Sew requests:
    I tell them, No, I won't do it, but I will show you how.
    They don't care for that.

As to the quilting, the ones who ask me for a quilt fall into 2 categories:

Young adults (girls) in the generation from me, mostly neices, who have not taken care of the quilts that my mom/their grandmother made for them back when.

And people who want me to make them a quilt because I quilt.

To the first, I say No, but I will show you how to make your own quilts. Some of them like the idea, but some of them actually want a quilt made by me, the oldest of Mom's kids. Next best thing to herself, I think.
    But I've not seen one person in my generation nor the next one down take care of one of Mom's quilts. Why would I make them one??

To the second, I say, I guarantee you have no idea how much a quilt from me would cost you, really you don't.

My husband always wants me to hem his jeans, last time I told him to take them to the tailors as I broke 3 needles last time I did his hemming. Hopefully he won't ask me again. My son asks to patch his jeans, he doesn't really care how I do it just so the jeans are wearable for his work.

Quote Originally Posted by marymild
    Have you noticed when you tell people you quilt, they want to know if you will do their mending for them?
    Yes! One time a man called me, I had no idea who he was or how he got my # but he wanted me to make him some cushions for his camper. This was at Thanksgiving time and he wanted them just a couple of weeks before Christmas. I said no I can't do it. Anyway a lady I know called right after and said "I just wanted to help your business you didn't need to get mad!" I said I did not have a business and I wasn't mad I just couldn't do it at that time. Weird!!!

And then there is altering that people want me to do. I hate to alter. On guy just recently wants me to take his dad's jacket and make the sleeves and the body longer. I said noooo.

I'm glad you clarified "surrounded by monkeys." When you said you'd try to find the pattern, I thought you might have to fight off monkeys to get to it. :lol:

2manyprojects, I LOVE your avatar.

Just family and I always do it. The most fun one was a snowmobile cover that was heavy canvas that had gotten torn, hard to squish it under the needle, but the repair was a thing of beauty! My DSD is very petite and asks me to hem to jeans then never gets around to having me measure her inseam so I can hem them...works for me!!! Luckily they don't ask very often cuz I really don't enjoy it like I enjoy quilting.

I hate that, all my friends think that because I quilt and am a stay at home mom.. that I have all the time in the world to do their mending and hemming....haha if they only saw my own pile of things that need mended.. but sadly I have given in way to many times and did it for them... I need a backbone

I laugh and tell hem Don't trust me with mending or altering clothes. I tell them the I shortened a pair of jeans for my husband , I cut the same leg twice (true). They usually don't insist!

Blog Entries
    Tell them asking a quilter to mend is like asking Michaelangelo to paint a bathroom

I was a seamstress before I ever made my first quilt, so my family knows I can do mending. I just hate doing it!
    So now I say I'm sorry my sewing machine doesn't know how to
    mend, it only makes quilts. ROFLMAO
    I used to sell sewing machines inside a Joann's super store and people would ask if they could use our machines for just a minute. grrrr I would say they could rent them for $200 for 5 minutes; amazing how fast they went away. ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by marthe brault-hunt
    I laugh and tell hem Don't trust me with mending or altering clothes. I tell them the I shortened a pair of jeans for my husband , I cut the same leg twice (true). They usually don't insist!
    Hahaha....now THAT would be me, too! :D

Heres one rememdy for that, most machines have a blind hem stitch, whip it out in no time!
    That's the only way I hem things, I'm short and anymore the petite length is about 2-3" too long. My Viking has a wonderful
    blind hem stitch. I only hem my pants when I absolutely must.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have that happen all the time, I have to remind people that it really does hurt me to sew, and that I have to much to do. I do mend things for my boys and mom, but I have a friend that lives at the beach, that wanted me to shorten all her shirts. I had to tell her I just could not do it. She was upset with me, but I just had to be honest with her, because she is always wanting me to make something for her. Maybe that makes me bad, but I just don't want to be a seamstress, I want to learn to and make quilts. God bless.

Blog Entries
    ds in two weddings, altered pants, mended pants, altered skirts, etc. Now I work very slowly so I'm not asked to do to much anymore.[/quote]
    --------------------------------
    Hehehe...perfect way to cooperate and still not be asked so
    much!! Love it.

I have had at least 3 people ask me to make curtains for them. Two didn't even have a size needed - oh about yaaaaay big... The other one wanted the pleats for hooks and the works. While on unemployment my case worker tried to get me to go for a job interview for making draperies. I had to explain to her that is not the type of sewing/quilting I can do.

Power Poster
    If it is one of my three boys or my close friend Nancy I will do it but the boys come first and the others can wait as I am not will ing to be a mender.

Dee
    I just usually say, I don't have the patience for mending or alterations anymore. Especially when they have a sewing machine gathering dust or they can tell you exactly how to do it. At my age now I can say no and it isn't like when I was younger and couldn't say no. Now it doesn't even bother me.

I have had people ask me to make curtain for them, since I sew. I just tell them I quilt not sew

When we moved here the guy down the street found I can craft and quilt. Said his mom made dresses for his 3 girls and wanted me to make easter dresses for them(free and no materials to work with And his wife wanted a African theme quilt. I offered to help his wife and to teach his daughters the basics so they could make their own. Never heard from them again about it That was 3 years ago. Guess they really didn't want it bad enough to do it themselves. Tired of that attitude with people. If it isn't impotant enough for them to try or learn then why is it important for me to do. Especilly strangers you just meet? Now since I didn't do it they just stick their noses in the air and don't come around unless it was to ask for money. I can live without those kind of people just fine.

Too funny. I was just asked by a young lady at work if I could do a "simple" alteration to her brand new dress. I tried to explain that I haven't made clothing in over 30 yrs. I like to quilt because it's all about straight lines. Then she said she could do it but she didn't have a sewing machine. So I offered to loan her my old sewing machine!!

Blog Entries
    I don't get the mending question so much as "Oh, why don't you make a quilt for me?" I usually do 3-4 quilts a year, and I have plans for my next 50 quilts. I told my kids that when I die, they aren't getting anything from me because I already spent their inheiritance on fabric for my quilts.
    nanac

I hate mending including my own. I just pretend I didn't hear them. Sometimes I give them the name of the alteration lady I use. My girls sew and they can take care of their own family. My husband usually takes his alterations in to the store because he knows by the time I get motivated to do the mending he will have forgot he owned it. I am a petite and I have been altering my clothes all my life or making from scratch (which I Prefer)so mending and sewing for someone else doesn't even get to last place.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast