Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you mend my ****** >

Would you mend my ******

Would you mend my ******

Old 08-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Power Poster

Everyone brings their mending to me...and buttons...I have lost count of the number of total replacement "button jobs" I have done (you know, where they lose one button and the whole lot need replacing, 'cause there's not a matching one to be found). Thank goodness I have an enormous button stash..."The Button Collection" originally belonged to my G.Grandmother, then she passed it to my G.Mother, then she to Mum and as my mother is a minimalist and hates clutter,I am now the "keeper of the buttons".
Old 08-19-2010, 08:14 PM

Except for my immediate family I've learned to just say no!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
You know, I've only had one person ask if I took in sewing "from the public", so I do believe that he was willing to pay for it.

I do hem up my own and my husband's pants, and sew my own clothing. I don't do any other alterations, though. But every time I hem up a pair of pants (I'm short-legged, so basically anything not labeled "short" or "petite" is going to be two inches too long, or longer)I feel like I've outsmarted whoever it is that thinks we're all at least 5'6".
Oh Butterflyblue, I'm 5'7" w/33 inseam, have to go for talls if can be found, then shorten all others are high waters "yuk" guess their going for an aveage, haven't yet figured that out yet, Funny part is can buy mens pants waist and length ! Wonder why that is?? :-)
Old 08-19-2010, 08:40 PM

There is one thing I really don't like to do & that is mending for myself let alone others. I usually get out of it but then it depends on who it is for too.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:54 PM

I was a "sewer" before a "quilter" so everyone knows I know how to do it. I don't mind the change up every now and then! My mothers owns a laundry/pressing bussiness and she gets a lot of alterations. I often do them for her for a little extra cash!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Leota
I have a B.S. in apparel design. I use to have my own business custom sewing.... people want a designer gown for Walmart clearance price....
My favorite quote "I thought if I had it custom made it would be cheaper" ha ha.. ONLY if yo make it yourself
And then there was the time back in the day that I gave in and made the bridal party's dresses ---- not only did I not get paid for the fabric and notions and patterns, but nothing for my time either and they had the nerve to ask me to sew for the next wedding...I had what can only be described as a "laughing fit" so bad my DH thought I was having an asthma attack!! LOL To this day these people don't understand why I won't do sewing for hire!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:12 PM

I teach sewing in high school, I've had kids, teachers, district office personnel, the principal, the security people - all ask us to mend things for them. Oh, and let's not forget the parents - they send stuff with their kid to school and ask if we'll mend it. And the principal even asked one of the boys in my class to make him an apron - the principal is 6'7", so am I supposed to alter an existing pattern for him and what about the material??

We say no and in the case of the principal, we never mentioned it again and neither did he.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:10 PM

I read this somewhere.
Asking a quilter to mend
is like asking Pacaso (sp)to paint
your garage.
( Just not done)LOL
Old 08-20-2010, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

I only mend for a few people. My Sister is on disability, so I sew and mend for her and her little daughter.
I had a cousin that begged me for weeks to make her kids costumes. I told her I didnt have the time to do it, but she said, Oh, it will be quick and EASY!!!!!!!!
So, I said, then WHY DONT YOU make them, lol?????
Of course, she never did!
Old 08-20-2010, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I just tell them , sorry no I don't sew :wink: LOL

That's exactly what I say.