Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you want to have someone mention it to you?

Blog Entries
    i definitely appreciate being told!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I would definitely want to know.

I used to handquilt for an older lady with a small shop/business. Once she sent me a top that had all the same kind of blocks. It was a commission quilt and she said her daughter had pieced it for her. As I was quilting it, over 50% quilted, I noticed one block near the edge was significantly smaller than the others, causing distortion in the blocks around it. I felt awful that I had not seen it before (she did the basting) and went back and forth about whether to tell her about it. I felt bad that it was her daughters work, did not want to bad-mouth her daughter, but then I thought about the customer, knowing I would feel bad if I got that quality of work in a quilt I had paid for.
    I did tell her, and she said to just quilt over it. Not sure what happened when she got it back.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    There's definitely a nice way of pointing out what might be a glaring error that the maker hasn't noticed because she's too close to it. For instance, one could say "I like the way that the red block is really noticeable in the blue row" or "that block is really more noticeable since you didn't quilt it"
    You could maybe qualify for a job with the diplomatic corps!

Tell me, tell me, pleeeeease before it is quilted!

a couple of years ago my sister entered a quilt in a Quilt Show. She won first place. Later when I was out there on vacation she had it hanging in her sewing room. When I told her the yo yo's were sewn on back wards. She laughed so hard, she said oh no now everybody knows what a dummy I am. I said evidently not no one else noticed either. we had a good laugh!

I would want to know - then I can decide what I want to do. If not quilted fix it, if quilted - depends

Power Poster
    One can say something like - that block seems to be pointing in a different direction that the others - is that intentional?

I would definately want to know!

But of course I would then say.... oh that..... that was intentional - LOL LOL LOL!

Hugs

Caroline
    Caroline

Usually, I'm my own worst critic. I don't think I would point out a mistake to anyone, and I don't know I'd like to hear about mine...chances are I'll already know and tell you about it when I'm showing you my quilt. I have a baby quilt that my dear cousins and aunties made for one of my babies...the Z is backwards....and the only reason I know is because my mom's initials are in the top left and not the bottom right....LOVE IT! Mistakes make us human, how we deal with them make us unique.

I'd like to know!

Yes, tell me! Just say something like, "hey, how come that block is upside down?" Then I can say, "It put up a fight and wanted to show it's independence."

Oh yes! I would want to know. That way I could be sure to learn from it and do better next time.

YES!!!m tell me! I am not now and never will be perfect but I keep trying.

Yes...tell me, then I'd fix it. I have no problem with constructive comments and I like to think I make positive progress with each quilt I make. Seems like many others have the same point of view. What I do mind, not so much for myself (hide like a rhino) is that some people take great delight in pointing out another's errors in a less than polite fashion. Don't know that you'd describe them as Quilt Police....just ill-mannered.

Mistakes are what make a quilt custom! I would want to know but I always recommend taking a picture of a top before you quilt it you would be surprised as the difference of what you can see in the picture, I always take several while I'm planning the layout it's amazing. I have a deeper question....what if it's the quilting that makes that ruins the quilt?? Do you say anything especially when you know the quilter and you know they consider themselves a top notch professional? You know they produce beautiful work so image the shock when they leave 10inch un quilted which makes all the blocks puff out and look like a wrinkled mess, different colored bobbin on part by mistake but left and uneven quilting all over? Represented a group gift to another quilter....I'm still in shock from it and we said nothing because no one could find the words.
    *Rachel*

i would like to know and hopefully before quilting. after quilting, it just becomes "the bastard block" as we say in our circle of quilters. it is the block that keeps us humble.

Blog Entries
    Nope. I'm not blind. If there is an error, you can be sure I've seen it.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=bearisgray;5477087]If there was something glaringly different in a quilt top you were making - such as one block being placed differently than the rest -

Would you appreciate it if someone asked you about it?

I had a fellow quilter ask me if I was a perfectionist or not - I said no. She said that's OK because you have one corner on your border turned the wrong way. It was barely noticeable, but once she pointed it out I couldn't stand it. Ripped it off and redid it. I was not offended - really grateful it was caught before quilting!

Or would you consider the person a member of the dreaded 'quilt police'?

I would like to have someone mention it to me and ask if it was intentional? If not intentional, I'd like to be able to change/fix it before it's quilted.

I would definitely want to know, however, you can do it kindly or you can do it in a way that is strictly "mean" or with a superior attitude. But, I would definitely want to know before it was quilted rather than after and then someone point it out to me.

I would rather know while it could still be fixed. A lot depends on the attitude of the person doing the telling. It can be done nicely which is best.

If it isn't already quilted, I would say -- "Did you happen to notice that one block is . . . . or did you mean it to be that way?"

I don't know...sometimes it is nice to have direction when I'm not seeing the full picture. Most of the time I'm paying attention. If there's a block turned the wrong way and it's already quilted, I say it's my calling card - leave it at that.

Blog Entries
    I would want to know.....Even if already quilted.....The knowledge would prevent a similar mistake on the "next" quilt.

If it is something that can be fixed I would want to know..that gives me theoption to fix it..If it is too late, there is no purpose in telling

Blog Entries
    our guild had a raffle quilt ready to be sent to the quilter and we were looking at it and I asked "doesn't anyone else see that"....one block completely turned wrong... it was fixed in time but what if we hadn't seen it...WOW
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast