Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wrapping/mailing a bridal shower gift quilt >

wrapping/mailing a bridal shower gift quilt

wrapping/mailing a bridal shower gift quilt

Old 07-20-2020, 05:13 PM

Default wrapping/mailing a bridal shower gift quilt

I am looking for ideas on how to wrap and mail the quilt I made for my niece for her wedding shower. I would like the label to show when she opens it. What is the best way to wrap and mail this so the presentation is perfect, yet it is going to be mailed? The shower is at a restaurant, in a few weeks, in Florida. We live in the northeast and unfortunately do not think it is safe to travel at this time otherwise we would have been there. The quilt is an oversized throw, almost twin sized. Also I am going to make a card telling her why I chose the fabrics that I did, (Kaffe Fassett! is my favorite), the name of the pattern (Sparkling Gemstones), and some interesting facts maybe about Kaffe. Any other suggestions? Thank you!! I tried to post a photo but was not successful.
Mary Ann
Old 07-20-2020, 05:25 PM

I would fold it on the diagonal like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-waYZSCyOA, then fold back the corner so the label is right on top when she opens it. Write your notations about the fabric and design inside a card, and tuck or pin the card under the fold so she sees that, also. Can you ship it to someone who will be attending the shower, so they can open the box and ensure the presentation of the quilt is as you want it? (Instead of opening the wrong end of the box, for instance)
When you ship the quilt, seal it in a giant ziplock-style bag. You can get 2 gallon ziplocks at restaurant supply stores, or if that's too small, use one of those vacuum storage bags.
This part is very important - make sure you put another label with her shipping address and your return address inside the bag, where it's visible. Sometimes the shipping box gets wet (and not just from rain!) or damaged and the shipper has to re-box it. My son works for UPS. Please take my advice.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:31 PM

When I gave a twin size quilt I folded it so the label would be the first thing you see when opened. It’s also nice to tie a ribbon around the quilt or use leftover fabric as the ribbon. I was lucky and found a nice large white box from Michaels. I think it’s also ok to use a nice cardboard box from Staples but decorate with tissue, wrapping paper etc on the inside. I’m sure someone will come along with some better ideas.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:02 PM

Also please have tracking on the box.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:34 AM

Two more things to consider, number one, put 'Handle With Extreme Care" on the outside of the box and number two, I would have it insured for the duration of the shipping process. Peckish is right about boxes becoming wet, but they can also become so damaged that the contents are damaged, too. Considering the amount of time, effort and love you put into the quilt, it would be shame if something were to happen and it not arrive in pristine condition. If you can, ship it via UPS, they are the best in the business when handling things like this. And definitely track it.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-21-2020 at 03:18 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-21-2020, 02:43 AM

Be sure to call it a "blanket" not a quilt, when it comes to the description. I learned the hard way.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:46 AM

I have sent quilts using UPS. Double boxing and extra packaging tape are used when I pack them. Remember accidents happen and you want to help your package arrive without damage.

Double box the quilt and use packing paper around the smaller box inside. Print two labels and tape well to each box. I put fragile labels on my packages. Be sure the recipient knows not to cut open the box but carefully slide through the tape to open.

I arranged to send the quilt to my brother in law first. He opened the boxes first to get rid of the packaging and then gave the wrapped quilt to his mother.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:02 AM

Thank you1
Old 07-21-2020, 05:24 AM

I would put the outer box in a plastic bag. You wouldn't what the quilt damaged by moisture getting in.

~ C
Old 07-21-2020, 06:03 AM

I would not put a detailed explanation about fabrics, etc. in the package -- it will get lost in the excitement of opening other packages. send a separate letter telling her how much you were thinking of her when you made it and why tou chose the fabrics. Then she will have time to really enjoy it and think about all thee love you put into it.

Mim