Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wrong size strips

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Neanie, I absolutely fell in love with your quilt the minute I saw it. I cannot keep from looking at it. What is your secret? I noticed the B/W border really sets it off, but you also used a colonial mix of blues and golds and reds? Did you stay in one line of fabrics or use scraps?
    The outer border was my addition; the original pattern didn't use one. As for the blocks, I used scraps, mostly Civil War reproduction fabrics on the dark side and scraps from my considerable stash of neutrals. I pick up interesting neutrals every time I stop in a fabric shop - love them! Thanks for your kind words.

Every one I have is made is 1 1/2" strips, I would probably go a bit bigger for a kids quilt...........

Blog Entries
    My last finished quilt was log cabin barn raising.use what you have cut and you will be find.This pattern is so pretty. Good luck!

I think it will be wonderful!

It looks great to me. The smaller strips look so much more vintage and you get so much more contrast. I think you will be very happy with it! Please be sure to show us when you finish.

Go with it the way you already cut it. My first quilt, wall hanging had a block made from 4 log cabin squares made with 11/2 inch strips. Consider it serendipity.

You know, you can also make one side with the 1 1/2 inch strips and the other side with2 1/2 to 3 inch strips and you will have a curved log cabin. Those are gorgeous. Check out quilty website with Marianne Fons. She tells you how to do it and it is gorgeous.

A group of us made a King size log cabin for our retiring Elementary School Principal with 1-1/4" for 3/4" finshed strips. It came out beautifully. Go for it - you'll be happy with the results.
    Shannon

Blog Entries
    I made a log cabin with 1" finished and it looked great.

I like the look of 1-1/2" strips. Love log cabin and ready to make another one very soon. Good luclk.
    Gigi

The wider the strips, the less appeal the finished quilt would have. Mary Ellen Hopkins (teacher & former shop owner) prefers 1 1/4 strips. I did one and the previously sewn seam got in my way. The 1 1/2 are perfect. She also said if you use wider strips you need to go across the street to look back at it to get the effect. ha

Lu in TN

Hi Pat, if all the strips are the same size, your blocks will just come out smaller. I would go ahead and use the ones you have already cut. You will be the only one who will know that the strips are a different size than the pattern.

I make my log cabin quilts with 1 1/2" strips.

Quote Originally Posted by Neanie View Post
    This is a log cabin I made with 1 1/2 inch strips. It's from Judy Martin's log cabin book. I love the look of this quilt.
    Ooooh, that is so pretty. Thanks for sharing.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    This is one of mine with 1 and 1/4" strips!
    I've always felt that the more logs the block has, the better it looks when finished.

Jan in VA
    Jan, that is gorgeous!!!!
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Thanks for sharing the log cabin quilt pics, they were enjoyed. Look forward to pics of your finished quilt. I also prefer the pattern definition provided by the narrower strips.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I also use 1 1/2 in strips for log cabins.

I love your block! Your 1 1/2" strips look great!

Hi To all again. I have several blocks made for the scrapy Log Cabin in the Barn Raising setting. I am glad I listened to you all and use the 1.5" strips that I had cut. After I layed the blockes out on the floor I still wasnt that happy. I took a picture and looking at it on the screen and it made me feel much better. They are not trimmed or squared up but U can see what it might look like when its finished.Thank you all again for the advice and suggestions. I wont post anymore pictures until its done... maybe a year or two LOL
    Happy quilting.
    Pat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2