Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
yard sale fabric >

yard sale fabric

yard sale fabric

Old 05-16-2015, 03:18 AM
Power Poster

Default yard sale fabric

I have seen very little fabric at yard sales. Out of ten stops today, I saw three pieces at one stop.

Of about 30 stops a coupleof weeks ago, I saw fabric at only one stop for fabric of any kind.

So - I can not recommend yard sales as a reliable source for fabric.

I think men's dress shirts are the best source of - what I would consider for using for quilts - fabrics at yard sales.

It still bothers me to cut up a garment that shows no signs of wear, though.

I
Old 05-16-2015, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

I
But if it were your only source of cotton fabric, you wouldn't feel that way, I'll bet.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:16 AM

I do a search on Craigslist under yard sales for fabric, so I only go to yard sales that say they have fabric. Of course, sometimes it isn't for quilting. If I see an ad on Craigslist for fabric, I sometimes email and ask if it's 100% cotton. I don't always get a response, but sometimes I do, which is great because it saves me time if it's not the right stuff.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:17 AM

Thrift stores are also unreliable, but I still checked every time I went into one. It only takes one "jackpot" to make it all worth it. One time I spent about $100 but I bought BAGS of quilt shop quality fabric.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:18 AM

I think that there is a shortage of people who sew. All of the older ladies that made their own clothes have either passed away or have quit. Quilting is a dying art. We have to keep it going!!
Old 05-16-2015, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

I usually find poor quality out there so that I am careful where I buy.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:31 AM

Ya I have noticed that too, I will come up on some stuff but not very much fabric unless Its a known quilter that is weeding out there stash. Otherwise I try to get fabric online.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

Wow. That's why I go to yard, garage, estate and thrift stores. Rarely do I see actual pieces of fabric. But a men's shirt and women's blouses go along way with fabric. I walked away from a yard sale with 5-6 XXL shirts and same fo women's and couple large cotton house dresses and summer sun dresses. $15.00. The dresses had full skirts. That is a lot of yardage. They don't always donate these clothes because they need the money to help offset other costs. You can get some really nice cottons from kids clothes. Baby blankets are great for the flannel. little girls dresses are great too. Went to the SA near my house on a Saturday, everything 50% off of ticket price. Came across some large men's corduroy pants. Great with denim. Makes a heavy quilt but up north in the winter works great! You're passing up a lot of deals if you pass on the clothes. When I debone the shirts and dresses after washing them, I leave the button and zipper strips intact, but leave an 1-1/2 " on each side so you have something to work with if you want to use the strips on totes. They're already in place with the button holes. Same with cuffs on sleeves and pockets.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:19 AM

I had a garage sale a week ago and had tons of fabric for sale and I did sell some and the other I took to a Goodwill. I did put in the craigslist that there was fabric for sale. It does help a little. I think that some people are using fabric out of their stash because of the cost of good fabric. I really have to need the fabric if I pay $11 - $13 a yard. This is just my personal opinion. I love to quilt but I have so much fabric that I know I can't use it all up even if I live to be 100 yo.
I would love to know how to put pictures on the QB of nice fabric for sale but I don't have the knowledge.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I have seen very little fabric at yard sales. Out of ten stops today, I saw three pieces at one stop.

Of about 30 stops a coupleof weeks ago, I saw fabric at only one stop for fabric of any kind.

So - I can not recommend yard sales as a reliable source for fabric.

I think men's dress shirts are the best source of - what I would consider for using for quilts - fabrics at yard sales.

Please don't feel that way - there is SO much extra clothing in this country, ask any thrift shop. Not like good usable clothing is scarce. And all those "Planet Aid" yellow boxes that collect used clothing - most of that gets recycled, not used by other people.

I have done better at thrift shops than at garage sales.