Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Yard sale find

Yard sale find

I found this at yard sale . I think it is called chicken scratch. How do I quilt it? Does it have to be hand quilted. It also has the batting stitched in so do I add another batting? It must be a throw because it is square. Can I rip out one side and add to bottom and make a twin quilt? So many questions and so little time. lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yard sale find

Another picture of back side of quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    You can definitely take out one side and add to the bottom. I would do this a block at a time.

I don't understand how the batting is. Is there a backing fabric? Was the chicken scratch done through the top fabric and the batting?

Edit: Oh, I just saw your other post and photo of the back. It does look as if the chicken scratch was done through batting. I think what I would do, after changing the block arrangement, is simply add a backing fabric and hand or machine sew over all the block seam lines. The chicken scratch is already enough "quilting" to hold the batting together to the top fabric. I would just be very careful when washing and drying the quilt, and would also be sure the backing fabric is pre-shrunk before layering.

Lovely old quilt!
    Last edited by Prism99; 06-23-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness, what a find! It's beautiful!! Can't help you but wanted to let you know that I think you "SCORED"!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I love "chicken scratch" I have used it on childrens dresses and did make one quilt with it. Did white hearts on red gingham and then hand quilted each block around the hearts and along the stitch lines. Was just thinking about doing some blocks with it the other day...funny that it came up here now....
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

Blog Entries
    What a great find! My mother did one with strawberries on red and white check for my niece years ago. So sweet!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    beautiful quilt...what in the world is chicken scratch????

It is gorgeous!! Of course, I love anything with blue... I did Chicken Scratch yrs back.
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 3 cats, Callie, Buddy & Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

Quote Originally Posted by joym View Post
    Chicken scratch is a type of embroidery done on gingham material.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Your quilt is pretty. I love chicken scratch. I remember when everyone was doing it. We could'nt get enough of it. Looked everywhere for different patterns.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by joym View Post
    Chicken scratch is cross-stitch using the squares of gingham as the "even weave" for the design. Wish we could still find good gingham to do this. So many of the ginghams nowadays have too much polyester in them. I had a skirt with a design all around the bottom when I was in high school. I've kept it just for the work that was on it. Fill in the white squares with thread that matches whatever color is in the gingham as in this design. I remember doing an apron with roosters on it but, of course, it had extra colors.

Interesting that someone did the stitchery through the batting. Bet that was fun--not!! I'd be awfully tempted to put another layer of light batting under that when making the quilt but then I like puffy quilts.

I remember many pieces my Grandma did of this stich. It looks like the squares were worked and then joined. I would be tempted to take them all apart and insert more sashing, corner stones and maybe even some alternating blocks to increase the overall size/shape. You definitely have a lovely treasure there.

Score! If I had found this, I think I would take the blocks aparts, sash them and add borders to create the size I wanted. Until I held in my hand the item you found..not sure what I would do about batting and quilting, but believe I would add a layer of batting and backing and quilt only the sashing and borders, but maybe "tack" the blocks. Just suggestions cause it's difficult I'm sure to know just what to do. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    This reminds me of a thing called "Huck" stitching........you use HUCK toweling and follow a pattern, kinda like the way you follow the pattern for counted cross stiching

WOW! What a treasure you found. I think I would take all the blocks apart & add a white sashing around them. What ever you decide, it will be beautiful. I also would stitch around the stars when quilting it. IMO.

The person who did this stitching was VERY neat. When I was a child and learning to do embroidery the first thing my mother did was look at the back. If I tried to cheat how I moved the thread from one area to another, I had to take it out and do over, no matter how nice it looked from the front. Didn't take long for me to learn to do it right the first time.
    Kaye Jacobson Salverda

Thats beautiful. You have lots of great advice here. Just wanted to say congrats on your new find. I had not seen Chicken Scratch before.
    Kim

someone had something like this on the board before and I googled it and I go a whole bunch of chicken scratch patterns free. I also found a 100% cotton red checks at JoAnn's. I wish their other colors were 100%.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

My husband's aunt made one almost identical to this, but she did the chicken scratch only on the gingham. She then added batting and backing to each square and quilted, by hand, around the star. The back had to be finished sort of like a quilt-as-you-go. As she got older, her stitches got larger and larger. I ended up finishing it for her, bought a white lacy bed skirt, and made matching gingham pillow cases. It added a personol touch to her nursing home room!
    psumom

That is a beautiful quilt. Don't know enough to make suggest.

Blog Entries
    I believe i would iron it first. sometimes that just changes your perspective. and maybe cut a white strip or two, and lay them on tip between the blocks to get a feel for white between the blocks. it's really a personal choice. cause we all have different styles. great find.

That is a great find. I have not seen this technique in person. I would add a frame type boarder to make it the size you desire. I would then just quilt in the area of the gingham that is almost like a sashing between the blocks and around the stars and of course in the boarder you added. I would try to find batting similar to the weight in the blocks and just add that to the boarder.
    Lisa

I had never heard of Chicken Scratch. Very pretty!

I did a chicken scratch using navy blue gingham alternated with navy blue squares. I didn't sew the batting into the chicken scratch. I layered the batting and hand quilted around the stars. Still use on my bed in Texas (winters).
    Quiltlady

Lovely! Haven't seen or done chicken scratch in many years. I think I'd add a row on the bottom using some of the existing blocks and then add backing. Probably won't need any more batting unless you wanted it to be extra warm. Since the batting is already held down, it would probably look nice if you tied it.