Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Yes, it does matter

sometimes when I can't figure something out I call my neighbor and just talking it out with another person really helps. A lot of the time I just have to vocalize the problem only to find out that the answer was already in my subconscious, just needed a little nudge!

Quote Originally Posted by ksea
    I have learned that if I spend too much time on this board I don't get a lot of sewing done.
    Yes! How True!, But we do learn a lot!
    Blessings,
    MaryAnna

If you cut the pieces for a quilt and don't start it right away, measure the pieces for the blocks when you begin to sew so you don't end up sewing the wrong edges together. A piece 4x41/4 often looks square if you look quickly but the blocks don't fit if you join the wrong edges!

I have learned that YES you should read the WHOLE pattern and make sure that you can visualize it all and understand it before you start to cut anything.

I have learned that YES you need to put in a NEW sewing machine needle after 8 hours of sewing (or sooner).

I have learned that YES, good quality fabric really DOES matter.

I have learned that YES, it matters if I clean and maintain my sewing machine properly.

I have learned that YES, you need to seek out others who quilt. It really does make it much more fun. :)

Oh, and I have learned that YES, you need to budget yourself before you walk into a quilt shop and possibly even bring only cash and leave credit cards and check books at home! LOL

In addition to the marvelous Learning Advice presented on this post, I have learned:

Reading, watching YouTube, IS NOT the same as actual practice. PRACTICE, PRACTICE which is often the same as PATIENCE. I learn by doing and NEVER the FIRST time. I am a SLOW LEARNER and that is OKAY. SPEED is NOT my friend when I quilt.

I have learned PERFECT may not be ME and that is OKAY also.

I have learned that MUSIC calms me as I am quilting.

BREATHING is important when quilting.

I somehow missed the step on BUNTING and after so much FRUSTRATION and FIGHTING to get those perfect aligned joints, the importance of this one CRUCIAL step is a definite one to know.

Because I did not know this, I was told by a quilt shop owner, that I WAS NOT A QUILTER.

So I have learned TEARS are also OKAY, ENJOYMENT, FUN, the PROCESS, and a Quilt COMPLETED, gives me satisfaction.

May be someday I will be a QUILTER and I am still learning.

Yes, do not do anything in quilting in a hurry, it will surely bit you in the butt in the end and that really HURTS!

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What is bunting?

Well I am still learning too, hence my name

Maybe1day :lol:

Getting the quilt squared when rolling on the rods IS VITAL. If it rolls on crooked it comes off crooked.
    I now lay weights evenly distributed on the flat quilt to keep it rolling straight and even onto the rollers.
    Then I pin the sandwich and sew as close to the edge as possible.
    Then sew down the sides then begin the quilting.

Yes it does.

We are all quilters. As long as you are constructing fabric together it isn't always perfect but there is always someone who will enjoy your efforts and appreciate your time.
    You are a quilter. Don't let anyone say otherwise. :!:

I'm in the dark. What is bunting. I know about punting in football but bunting leaves me cold.

Happened to me also several times. I wish I had a neighbor who quilts or even makes sense. My neighbor is a middleaged bachelor suffering from Schizophrenia who lives alone and talks with his imaginary friends. I watch out for him and if he appears to be struggling with something I call his family. The other neighbors work.

I think bunting is the old fashioned fabric usually blue and white stripes that were used to make feather quilts or downs. You can still but it as my SIL gets it to make her feather quilts, but she hasn't done it for a few years now as she has no hens, ducks etc. Too many snakes around the house. I hope this helps you out Illsa.

Bunting. I guess that must be a wrong term.

The real term is "nesting" or locking together so that pins are not even necessary. I would really be a quilter if I could this.

On the latest Fons and Porter Series with her daughter, the daughter is constantly emphasizing this tip.

Somewhere I missed this special technique and now try to make it a habit to press my seams in opposite directions so they "nest, Lock, or Bunt" together. It is still a shock when I get it all going in opposite direction.

I still have trouble figuring out which direction to press besides the light versus dark.

Sorry for the bunting confusion. My husband would be so surprised if I was actually speaking football.

that is alright ccthomas, I was not sure what every one was meaning either. now it is sorted out, thank you for your help. :lol: :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by ccthomas
    Bunting. I guess that must be a wrong term.

The real term is "nesting" or locking together so that pins are not even necessary. I would really be a quilter if I could this.

On the latest Fons and Porter Series with her daughter, the daughter is constantly emphasizing this tip.

Somewhere I missed this special technique and now try to make it a habit to press my seams in opposite directions so they "nest, Lock, or Bunt" together. It is still a shock when I get it all going in opposite direction.

I still have trouble figuring out which direction to press besides the light versus dark.

Sorry for the bunting confusion. My husband would be so surprised if I was actually speaking football.
    I was taught the term "nesting" when I took a class 18 years ago so you really threw me off with the "bunting" ha ha.
    Now, for the "pressing" issue.... I was taught in clothing construction to press seams open; therefore, when I started quilting in 19bc (before class) I burned several fingers trying to hold that itty bitty seam open to press... then I learned to press to the dark side 90% of the time. As your block/quilt grows, you may have to press to the light side so that the seams will nest properly. bottom line... do what ever to get your points to match.
    Are you a quilter? YES! Are you a "Master Quilter" that depends on your skill level and confidence... it doens't matter here.... we are all quilters of varying skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by Annya
    I think bunting is the old fashioned fabric usually blue and white stripes that were used to make feather quilts or downs. You can still but it as my SIL gets it to make her feather quilts, but she hasn't done it for a few years now as she has no hens, ducks etc. Too many snakes around the house. I hope this helps you out Illsa.
    We call that blue and white striped fabric used for feather pillows "ticking." Don't know if it is a local term or not. Never really thought about it, and never heard it called anything else ...but then, how often does one talk to someone on another continent about feather pillows? :lol:

Blog Entries
    I've learned to enjoy patience when it comes to the beginning process.Running from shop to shop makes me nuts. I'll find/order the pattern I need, same with the fabric etc.It will all come together....& I save my last nerve :-)
    I've learned not to save every quilting blog on line.There's no time to read that many & my puter thanks me!
    I've learned to start every project with a new blade in the rotary cutter.I've learned to press every part of every block before sewing another seam....then sq up all sqs & all blocks.Then find a bit of leftover patience & enjoy the look, feel & satisfaction of making a quilt.

Okay now that someone has called it ticking I know what it is thats what we call it up here in NY

Feather Ticking is a densely woven fabric that prevents the quills of the feathers from poking through and sticking bodies.
    Bunting is a loosely woven fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Leota
    Feather Ticking is a densely woven fabric that prevents the quills of the feathers from poking through and sticking bodies.
    Now that we're talking definitions, somebody in the grp. uses the word "squishy". I can't quite figure that out from the way it's used. Others use the word "wadding" which I think is Canadian for batting. (?) It's amazing the terms we all use depending on the areas we come from.
    While I'm at it, what does ROLF stand for. There are longer ones that i also can't figure out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat G
    Quote Originally Posted by Leota
    Now that we're talking definitions, somebody in the grp. uses the word "squishy". I can't quite figure that out from the way it's used. Others use the word "wadding" which I think is Canadian for batting. (?) It's amazing the terms we all use depending on the areas we come from.
    While I'm at it, what does ROLF stand for. There are longer ones that i also can't figure out.
    Hi Pat, It's actually rofl. It means rolling on the floor laughing. Here is a web site that has a lot of the abbreviations. http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/t...viations.asp#r

Quote Originally Posted by mytwopals
    I've learned - Keep you fingers away from the rotary cutter blade!!!!
    A lesson learned by experience. Fortunately I did not even move the steel straight edge or bleed on the fabric. I now use a teflon glove or little finger guards.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast