Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: Yes, it does matter

I learned not to sew without shoes on rotary cutters can cut feet too Only three stitches and a husband who id quite angry that I would cut things with out shoes on I have promised to always wear shoes in sewing room

Quote Originally Posted by fishnlady
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat G
    Quote Originally Posted by Leota
    Feather Ticking is a densely woven fabric that prevents the quills of the feathers from poking through and sticking bodies.
    Bunting is a loosely woven fabric.
    Now that we're talking definitions, somebody in the grp. uses the word "squishy". I can't quite figure that out from the way it's used. Others use the word "wadding" which I think is Canadian for batting. (?) It's amazing the terms we all use depending on the areas we come from.
    While I'm at it, what does ROLF stand for. There are longer ones that i also can't figure out.
    Hi Pat, It's actually rofl. It means rolling on the floor laughing. Here is a web site that has a lot of the abbreviations. http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/t...viations.asp#r
    Thanks for the explanation. That is so funny. Now it makes sense. I did figure out LMAO. Also funny. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnlady
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat G
    Quote Originally Posted by Leota
    Feather Ticking is a densely woven fabric that prevents the quills of the feathers from poking through and sticking bodies.
    Bunting is a loosely woven fabric.
    Now that we're talking definitions, somebody in the grp. uses the word "squishy". I can't quite figure that out from the way it's used. Others use the word "wadding" which I think is Canadian for batting. (?) It's amazing the terms we all use depending on the areas we come from.
    While I'm at it, what does ROLF stand for. There are longer ones that i also can't figure out.
    Hi Pat, It's actually rofl. It means rolling on the floor laughing. Here is a web site that has a lot of the abbreviations. http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/t...viations.asp#r
    I ck'd this website. Good grief, we not only don't have to talk to ea. other in person anymore we don't even have to use words. Just letters.
    I know the teens are using a lot of that for short cuts for texting but I still can't quite go that far. I still like to spell most of my words out. I can understand using a shortcut for texting though.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jayelee
    I learned not to sew without shoes on rotary cutters can cut feet too Only three stitches and a husband who id quite angry that I would cut things with out shoes on I have promised to always wear shoes in sewing room
    Sorry to hear that. I always go in my sewing room in sock feet maybe I'll rethink that.

My husband put a big sign on sewing room door today says no shoes no sew lol

This is one of the best lessons taught to me when learning to type in school - if you make a mistake, walk away, refresh the mind and come back again - halfway through 1st typing exam and not one page completed, teacher marching up and down checking on us, said "your running out of time so might as well give up". I was so stubborn and determined that I went through all exercises in half the time allowed and achieved a 1st Class Pass!!! Lesson learned: Determination always wins (we hope!!)

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again :D I love all the lessons in the first post here and those following :thumbup:

I have a friend who has to race like a bull at a gate and then complains about every project she makes not being quite right, points out all her mistakes and embroidered quilt designs in squares not being central etc, but she must finish everything before someone else can think about doing the same project!! If things go terribly wrong she tosses the fabric or takes it to her club for someone else to rescue!! Some people will never learn :thumbdown:

Quote Originally Posted by jayelee
    Oh no! Thanks! I tend to be a barefoot sewer, so this got my attention. Yikes!

I found this site shortly after taking my first quilting class.......what have I learned???? That any question I need answered can be brought to this board and the question will be answered quickly and in a kind manner. Everyone is gracious and treats all level of quilters with patience. This site has been the greatest teaching tool and I am soooo glad I found you all :)

Today I found out Yes it is important to make you re-press your sashing properly before quilting, also especially when you QAYG sew them on starting from the same side of the quilt so it does not causes waves in the sashing. And I learned that friends are the best when they are willing to help you fix your problems even if it is too late to do any thing much about it. Thanks to ALL my friends. now I have to unpick some sewing and try it a different way.

I have learned- Patience is a vertue. Another words-Don't be in a hurry. If everything is going wrong, it is time to walk away. it will be better tomarrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ccthomas
    In addition to the marvelous Learning Advice presented on this post, I have learned:

Reading, watching YouTube, IS NOT the same as actual practice. PRACTICE, PRACTICE which is often the same as PATIENCE. I learn by doing and NEVER the FIRST time. I am a SLOW LEARNER and that is OKAY. SPEED is NOT my friend when I quilt.

I have learned PERFECT may not be ME and that is OKAY also.

I have learned that MUSIC calms me as I am quilting.

BREATHING is important when quilting.

I somehow missed the step on BUNTING and after so much FRUSTRATION and FIGHTING to get those perfect aligned joints, the importance of this one CRUCIAL step is a definite one to know.

Because I did not know this, I was told by a quilt shop owner, that I WAS NOT A QUILTER.

So I have learned TEARS are also OKAY, ENJOYMENT, FUN, the PROCESS, and a Quilt COMPLETED, gives me satisfaction.

May be someday I will be a QUILTER and I am still learning.
    :shock: That's a shame what a QS Owner told you, Not sure I'd be a customer!!

A Quilter is some one who is willing to make quilts whether it is one or more. What she should have said was that your were not an experienced quilter. I mean some one who had not been doing it for years. As far as I am concerned YOU ARE A QUILTER, :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by judylg
    Quote Originally Posted by BRenea
    If you keep making mistakes, or the same mistake over and over again, just walk away and take a break! This also works for me when I just can't figure something out.
    I agree with that one, works for me!
    Same here!

Quote Originally Posted by theresa.redington
    I've learned that following a patterns saves a lot of seam ripping.
    I've learned that that you should always bring the material you are with to match other materials with that patten.
    I've learned to mesure tqice and cut once.
    I've also taken an almost-completed quilt top to my LQS to purchase coordinated fabrics for my borders (top still not done - too darned hot/humid to sit as the machine!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    I learned that when I'm at my wits end with DH, I need to sew more... it lowers my blood pressure. and I'm learning to enjoy the process, not just the end results.
    I keep telling people the quilting is a stress buster! :-D

Blog Entries
    Yes! Iv'e learned not to force myself to finish a project I discovered I didn't like. Stop!!! put it aside. Find someone who would like it and give it away. Don't even think of it as a financial loss. life really is to short to waist time doing things we don't like and if it's our hobby and love, we should enjoy it totaly!

No, you have to cut that pretty fabric!!! I'm a collector and buy too much fabric ~ but if you don't get it when you see it, IT"S gone next time! I do need start cutting it though. Sandy in INDIANA

Quote Originally Posted by Illsa
    We are all quilters. As long as you are constructing fabric together it isn't always perfect but there is always someone who will enjoy your efforts and appreciate your time.
    You are a quilter. Don't let anyone say otherwise. :!:

My thoughts as well!

Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Quote Originally Posted by Annya
    I think bunting is the old fashioned fabric usually blue and white stripes that were used to make feather quilts or downs. You can still but it as my SIL gets it to make her feather quilts, but she hasn't done it for a few years now as she has no hens, ducks etc. Too many snakes around the house. I hope this helps you out Illsa.
    We call that blue and white striped fabric used for feather pillows "ticking." Don't know if it is a local term or not. Never really thought about it, and never heard it called anything else ...but then, how often does one talk to someone on another continent about feather pillows? :lol:
    Far as I know, it's still called 'ticking'. :-)

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Great tips!

Sorry about the TICKING not been well and my head is not clear at the moment. :oops:

1. Never use a rotary cutter quickly.

2. Life is too short to sew a quilt you don't like.

3. You won't hurt the quilt's feelings if you don't finish it.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7