Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are you about 5'4"? Can you get out your measuring tape? Need information

Smile Are you about 5'4"? Can you get out your measuring tape? Need information

Hi.....I've been doing lots of sewing lately and that involves lots of pressing. I've got a big board ironing board that my husband made and I just had him heighten it. I am not sure if it needed to be higher or not...but my back was aching. I am 5'4" and would like to know if you are about 5'4" tall......what height is your ironing board or ironing surface from the floor? Right now, mine is heightened to 36" high. I always stand when pressing. If you stand when you press.........can you please measure your height and post it?

I know I need to take frequent breaks and I usually sew about 6-7 hours a day. So, instead of lessening my sewing time, I'm trying to get my stuff set-up for best ergonomics.

So, get out those tape measurers, measure 'em up and post the height. Meanwhile, I'll "rest" a bit.

Thanks everyone!

My big board sits on my ironing board, and I just measured it. Mine is 35.5" tall. It works well for me. I don't like having to look down too far. ( neck issues). And I am about 5'4".
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Sorry, I am not your height, however, ergonomically ..... you shouldn't be bending to iron/press.

The other factor is your arm should be slightly bent (not straight, and not a 90) bend while pressing.
    Too low, and you will tend to bend for the comfort of your arm and shoulder.
    Too high, and you will start scrunching your shoulders.

If you're looking for more comfort, consider an anti-fatigue mat where you stand.
    Or at the least carpeting.
    They can make a big difference towards comfort too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

bj
    I’m 5’2” and my board height is 34” from the floor. I get tired if I press too long at time. But I think it’s because I don’t like to do it much to begin with! (0:
    If I'm too busy to quilt, something else has to go.

I am 5'3" and my ironing board height is 36 inches.

Dina

thank you all for being so prompt! I think I'll keep it at 36" then since it looks like what you guys do. It just looks so high! Yes........I'm thinking about an anti-fatigue mat....that will hopefully also save the carpet from being matted down with my footprints! Thanks again everyone....happy sewing!

If it's comfortable and causing you less discomfort than in the past .... then it must be right.

If you want to try other heights, stand on a piece of plywood (or two) to see if there is a difference.
    Or try the ironing board on the plywood riser.
    Just be sure to stay safe ... not falling off your perch, or the ironing board tipping.

Just a slight difference of 1/2" can make quite a difference .... positively or negatively.

Also, are you consistent in the height of your footwear?
    That can throw off all the careful planning .........
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

If you are sewing 6 or 7 hours a day, that could be the culprit. No matter how ergonomically correct your tables/sewing machines/ironing boards are, you can only do one thing for a certain amount of time especially as you get older. My chiropractor suggests getting up and moving around as in walking up and down the hall a few times every 1/2 hour at least. I've found that helps me more than anything else. If I spend too much time in any one position, it can get uncomfortable and lead to problems. Just keep moving.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I have an anti-fatigue mat in front of my cutting table and one in front of my ironing table. It makes a World of difference.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-10-2018 at 11:50 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    I'm also 5'2" and my cutting and ironing surfaces are at 30". Just regular kitchen table height. I make sure not to spend more than 30 mins at a time doing either cutting or ironing .
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    I used to have some of those foam mats that click into each other. maybe got them from Home Depot. Now i have carpet in my sewing room so i let my son use them in the garage.

Do you have the room to sit and iron? If so, I can recommend it. My sewing machine and ironing table are at an L in the corner. When I am sewing, I simply swivel my chair to iron. My sewing table is a large kitchen table from the thrift store. It's 30" high. It's wood and I covered it with several layers of fabric to protect the surface from heat.

I am taller than you, don't know how tall my ironing board is. I cut a lot more than I press. I stand on a padded kitchen mat. Keeps my back from hurting. Table is the right size for me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I do not know if this helps you but I have a rolling chair and I adjust my ironing board low so I can roll to it from my sewing machine.
    Mary Jane Flikke

I used to be 5'-6" until my last physical. They claim that I'm 5'-4.5" now. Grrrr... if they hadn't said it out loud it wouldn't be true! LOL...

At any rate, my ironing surface is 35" from the floor. It's a comfortable height for me.

I'm 5'4". My cutting table that I also iron on is 35"

Quote Originally Posted by zozee View Post
    Do you have the room to sit and iron? If so, I can recommend it. My sewing machine and ironing table are at an L in the corner. When I am sewing, I simply swivel my chair to iron. My sewing table is a large kitchen table from the thrift store. It's 30" high. It's wood and I covered it with several layers of fabric to protect the surface from heat.
    I totally agree with sitting when pressing lots of blocks. I only stand when pressing a full top or doing regular laundry ironing. Find what works best for you.

I'm 5'5" and high waisted if that matters. My big board is 36.5" and my cutting table is 37" tall. I find for me as I have bad issues as well as feet issues to do short stints at the sewing machine, then pressing area, then cutting table and back to the sewing machine. This keeps me from having too many issues with my back and feet. I tried sitting once for 100 blocks, then went to press them for however long it took, then over to the cutting table to trim and my ankles swelled up like a balloon. Not to say my feet and back were screaming at me too. So I decided to separate my blocks into color groups so from 100 blocks to say 15-20 blocks at a time seemed to make it easier for me all around.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Check out this article in "Sew4Home" Keep Fit While You Sit: 10 Simple Exercises for Sewers
    https://sew4home.com/tips-resources/...ercises-sewers

I am 5'4" and I have a drop down ironing board; the type that mounts on a door but mine is built into a cabinet in my sewing room; I put the metal 36" ruler under it; it fits perfectly just under the edge so I figure the top of the board is about 36 1/2 from the floor. NO bending at all.

Blog Entries
    Please keep in mind that if you line up five different people who are all 54, and you will see they are all built different. (I come from a family of extremely short legs and long bodies) Just adjust yours to the best comfort you can. In your place, I would experiment with different things like can goods or plastic dishes, under the feet until you find your perfect fit. My ironing board is actually higher on one end to accomodate various back injuries over the course of my life. I iron on a slight downhill slope, and my iron has a iron shaped silicone cozy for it to lay on whether it is hot or cold, so no tipping problems on the slope.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    I am 5'7" and my ironing board is at 36 inches. and the board is about 4 inches below my waistline. now I"m long waisted so that may be neither here or there as far as exact measurements for you. I would think 36" too tall for you , but keep trying it and then try it lower. somewhere. then you will know what works. good luck.

I am almost 5'4", and my ironing board with the big board on top is 36" which works for me. I try to not do anything, standing or sitting, for an extended length of time!

I'm 5' 4". My cutting table is 35 3/4" tall and the over sized ironing board sits on top of a regular metal iron board. It's 35" tall.
    I'm just starting to move everything around for a better work triangle and will have a small pressing station next to my machine, at least that is the plan.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Don't forget how high your cutting surface is. My back problems went away when I added bed risers to my banquet cutting table. Now I can cut forever and it doesn't hurt.
    Ginger
    ~stitching one thread at a time~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast