Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Are you going to the stores tonight/tomorrow for sales?

I did really great on both of my outings.. I went out last evening to Walmart and was waiting in front of the video games to get one for my boys that they really wanted and one for me... I went online to Amazon's site and found one of them for exactly the same price and the other for cheaper so I called hubby and had him order those... so then I went across the store to get the other video game I was on the hunt for. The woman behind the electronics counter told me I could take one from a display case if there was one over there and then I would not have to wait for it. Sweet So I was done and back in my car by 8:05. I had to wait about 40 minutes to check out that video game but it was worth it for what I paid for it - and I was hanging out with a friend so I was having a great social time... went home, got some sleep, and left about 5am to go to Hancocks...
    I met a friend at Hancocks' and I got what I went for - my wheelie case. Here she is...
    Name:  machine case.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  54.9 KB

and with my Juki inside...

Name:  machine case1.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  39.9 KB

I also got a few yards of fabric.. no lines, no stress... then over to Joann's and picked up a king sized batting and some butterfly pins.. again no lines or stress.. then off to guitar center where I purchased a drum set for my husband (long story) then out to Lowe's and Walgreens then met up with another friend and we did a few more stores that she wanted to do since I was done and my first friend and I were just along for the ride and company.. had lunch at Cheddar's and then went to pick up the drum set and go to another Big Lots to see if they had the Ninjabreadman cookie cutter set (which they did so we were able to get her a cutter set - I had already gotten mine earlier this week)
    I had a great day
    Tomorrow I sew... and Sunday I sew... then Monday it's back to work lol

I was at Joanns at 0400 and had a ball chatting with everyone in line!! The store opened and altho there was a bit of a rush, no one was trambled. The flannel was being sold by the yard or precut into 8 yard lenghts and packed with a special wrapper and was sold by the bolt....NO CUTTING....unless you wanted a yard or yard and a half, then you went to a different place in the store to find that!! The lines were much shorter, IMO, doing it like this but there were still a lot of people buying a yard of this and that....me too!! I found the fall fabric and the Halloween fabrics marked down 60% off and bought several yards for next year but my all time BEST deal was the Fiskers rotary cutting 45mm blades marked 60%off. The doorbuster flannel was not inclulded in the additional 25% off your total order but everything else in my blasket was discounted....I saved a small fortune, but then I also spent a small fortune!! but it is still cheaper than a therapist.....or so I tell myself! Black Friday is always in my future......hopefully, for a long long time!!

I went to Walmart last night to just pick up some of the BF movies for my daughter for Christmas and dragged by hubby along for company. We ended up leaving at 11pm because he wanted 2 of the $148 TV's (one is for my sewing room - woo hoo!), some plastic food containers (I'm never sure how we buy so much but never have any when you need them!), some glass Pyrex with lids, and a gel mattress topper for the bed. Lines weren't too bad and it was probably the most organized I'd ever seen Walmart on Black Friday!

This morning I went to Joann's - got there at 6:30am and the store was SO quiet! I was able to buy everything I had wanted to get (and more of course LOL) The lines were SO short I kept wondering if I was in the wrong store. Except for the flannel everything else was an additional 25% off so I also saved a small fortune I was really happy to see the staff constantly restocking; the first time I went to grab some rotary blades they were gone but when I wandered back 1/2 hour later she was restocking - score!! Also save a TON of money on the remnants (I love remnants lol) - after the 75% off then another 25% off, I was paying 30 cents or less for each one, so I stocked up.

So Saturday and Sunday I will sew and then I go back to work on Monday....

Ah, I thought I was getting brave and headed to JoAnn's about 10 minutes before opening -- not too big a line, but the wind made it rather cold. Picked up 3 sewing machine carts (w/wheels), one craft cart, a small Ott light and some thread. I use the machine carts to pack sewing machines when I work w/ladies who aren't fortunate to have one when I help them learn to sew via quilting. The craft cart is to hold the tools I use to fix the machines (bought really cheap) for them and when I teach machine maintenance at a local shop. All in all, I spent $140, but saved $364. It was busy but not crazy, didn't wait in line to check out either. I haven't done this for years, expected the worst and it wasn't! Tomorrow and Sunday are scheduled for sewing!!

No Way, No How. I avoid crowds. I would rather pay a little more or go without than fight a hundred people for an item or stand in line for hours.
    Just me. I am not a shopper, I hate crowds, I don't like it when people fight over things.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

I must be the crazy one. I love to go out on BF. Went to bed at 2:15 am and got up at 5 am. Went to Comp USA for around 5:45 am. Long line , but it wasn't "too" bad except for the fact that I was extremely tired. Went home, had breakfast and then headed out to Joanns. I did some "me gifting"...Got myself a HV Topaz 20. Been looking at the Topaz and the Sapphire for a few months. Also, got some flannel for $1.74 a yard. Then went to Home Depot with my daughter to get supplies to make a big black board. Very tired now.

As much as I did not want to go out today, I did go with my daughters. The parking lots were full and the stores were packed. Tried to look at boots at Penney's and the shoe dept was so busy, I did not bother. When walking thru the middle of the mall, loaded down with bags, I nearly knocked a boy over. In my defense, he was walking along and playing a game on an iPad type device and, all of a sudden, he just stopped...oblivious to the fact that he was in the middle of a busy aisle. About 3 pm we went in to kohls...we left when we discovered the line to check out was an hour's wait. I was so glad to finally get home! Then we get home and DD insists we out up the tree and start decorating the house. That would be fine except for the fact that tomorrow we will have DH's family here (25 adults) here for dinner at 1. And, I had hoped to sneak out to visit an LQS in the morning for small town business day. I am soooo tired tonight!

I avoid the stores on Black Friday, being around pushy,greedy shoppers isn't my idea of fun. So I stayed home and sewed and spent time with my family.

I went instead to a thrift store and found a new suede vest, husband found 3 new polo shirts, and a new cream wool blanket. Pennies on the dollar.

Waited until 3 to go use a coupon at the LQS and it was a pleasant experience. Actually got to talk to the cashier.

Saturday we are checking Joanns for thread and then going to a handmade craft show.

No electronics and no new clothes (unless thrift). Any crowds and we are outa there.

Blog Entries
    I went to the outlet mall in Concord NC around 11:30am got me a parking space 4 th from door. And I really couldn't say it was crowded. I just need a down pillow for Husband at Number bed had a $100 coupon . And it still cost me $20 more. He better sleep real good on this .. When I left about 2 it was getting busier.

Blog Entries
    Leave the comfort and peace of my home??? No way!

Blog Entries
    No way - don't like those crowds - there will be good sales later for holiday shopping.

Sandy, I feel exactly the same way - it IS A CIRCUS!! There's nothing I need THAT much that I would put myself through such madness for. I stayed home on Thanksgiving because my dh was sick with a terrible cold - we didn't even have turkey. He rested, I quilted...he rested, I did some online shopping and got 8 gifts out of the way. Half of them have already been delivered!! Now THAT's good service!! Happy and PEACEFUL Holidays to us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    No Black Friday for me. I'm not ready to join the circus, even if some of the stores in our area are opening on Thanksgiving day

Pam, check out 6pm.com - they have AMAZING prices on boots!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam B View Post
    As much as I did not want to go out today, I did go with my daughters. The parking lots were full and the stores were packed. Tried to look at boots at Penney's and the shoe dept was so busy, I did not bother. When walking thru the middle of the mall, loaded down with bags, I nearly knocked a boy over. In my defense, he was walking along and playing a game on an iPad type device and, all of a sudden, he just stopped...oblivious to the fact that he was in the middle of a busy aisle. About 3 pm we went in to kohls...we left when we discovered the line to check out was an hour's wait. I was so glad to finally get home! Then we get home and DD insists we out up the tree and start decorating the house. That would be fine except for the fact that tomorrow we will have DH's family here (25 adults) here for dinner at 1. And, I had hoped to sneak out to visit an LQS in the morning for small town business day. I am soooo tired tonight!

No Black Friday shopping for me either. In fact I do most of my shopping online. Too darned old and grumpy to fight the crowds, stand in line, or spend a fortune on anything (except my quilting..lol)
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

Quote Originally Posted by Sande View Post
    I agree 100% with Bneighbor! I don't understand why retail stores have to open at Midnight on Thanksging night! Why can't we return to appreciating Family values! I work in a Mall and the customers that show up at that hour are usually young people that don't go to shop they just want a place to hang out with their friends. And what are you really benefiting from? So you save $100 bucks on a big screen tv that is a cheap model designed just to go on sale on black Friday only! Customers are pushy and very self-centered and don't care about the sales staff! Can you tell I just got home from my 5 am Black Friday shift? I stay as far away from the Mall on my days off!
    I didn't go out of the house yesterday, but I did venture out this afternoon to Michael's to try to find some yarn I need for a scarf. I didn't last long. There were kids running through the store and their parents were oblivious. One little boy had pulled the spinner display that had baskets of yarn in it out into the middle of the aisle and was spinning it as fast as he could and watching the yarn fly out. He picked up a couple of skeins and tried to toss them back into the baskets while they were spinning. I headed for the door and called DH to tell him to pick me up next door at Office Depot. I had to get out of there before I said something I would regret. We stopped at Walmart thinking they might have the yarn. They didn't. Before I could get back to the front of the store, some guy came barreling down one of the aisles and crashed into me with his cart. It hit my right wrist. It is swelling a little, so I came home and iced it. I decided that, if I can't order what I need online, I don't need it! Nothing will get me out with those crazy shoppers between now and Christmas!

I boycotted the Black Friday nonsense intentionally. I'm with Bneighbor on moving Christmas back to Christmas. I did find rotating cutting mats for a good price on joann.com but the crowd was great in my computer corner! That's the extent of my weekend shopping. Now I'm going to have a bit of wine to toast myself on my wisdom of staying home!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4