Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online? >

Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online?

Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:55 AM

I buy where I can find what I like. With two kids under 5 it is really hard to go to lqs and shop around. So i usually prowel the internet. I wish the lqs was a little more kid friendly, but it is what it is. They do have a fab batik selection.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:05 PM

I do shop at my local shops more than online. I am always a little sceptical that the fabric online will match when I'm needing a background or just an additional fabric to what I already. I like my shops and usually find something that will work, but I see lots of deals online and may eventually do more buying there.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:07 PM

I buy online and for several reasons.
1.Driving is difficult for me even though there are 3 local shops pretty close to me.
2.They are not the friendliest. I have taken classes from each of them. I guess I don't feel that they are open to the newbie. They also seem to resent it if you get ANYTHING else from another place AND they seem to resnt it if you ask for help on something other then what the class is teaching. They feel that they are giving free advise and are opposed to that. I get more help here and youtube.
3.I have more of a selection online and can take my time making decisions. Sometimes it takes me days to decide.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:25 PM

im fairly loyal i have a LQS that has realy good prices and a good selection only 5 min from my house so i do most off my shopping there and i have another more expensive one about 15 min away that i go to ocasionaly. i dont buy mutch online since shipping to canada can be very expensive and my LQS is priced in the $ 9-13 range so shopping out off country isent realy necessary. and right now she has a realy great sale on 50% off clearance fabric so i have been getting alot off fabric lately.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:33 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

We have 2 LQS in my town as well as a new Super JoAnns and a Hancocks. One of the LQS is about a 5 minute walk if that long from my house so I am in and out several times a month when I am home. Both LQS carry different from the other so alot will depend on what I am in need of as to which one I go to. I also order on line on occasion when that is the only place I find what I want. I have ordered often from Hancock of Paducha as well as other LQS that have an online business.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:33 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Don't forget that even the online shops are generally SOMEBODY's LQS.

Whether online or local-brick-and-mortar, both stores still employ real workers and put money into their local economies.

Though we sell online, we are open for local customers to shop in person, and we even get visitors from across the border in Canada. And for our online customers, they know that they can always call us and ask whether the fabrics they're considering work well together. We're very good at giving friendly color advice!
Old 12-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

i have 2 locally i try and support others are ok just not friendly !
Old 12-20-2011, 12:37 PM

I do a mix although I am buying more online--for the first time more than 50%. I have many great LQS around me but you cant turn down alot of the online pricing plus you dont have to drive from one store to another if they dont have what you want. I dont expect them to carry 6000-12000 bolts like an online store.

Clicking is a whole lot easier and cheaper than driving. I try to spend for "unique" items or for classes at my LQS. For basics like notions/threads, etc, probably Joann's online because the local store is a nightmare. For alot of fabric, online fabric stores.

Kind of like our local bookstore that is having difficulties because of Kindles and Nooks. I do appreciate her shop but she really just can't compete for my business since I now have a Kindle.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:55 PM

Love my LQS and spend as much there as possible - mainly sales. The owner is very business-like as she must be, but her staff is the people part of the store! Wonderful combination.

I do buy online when the "deal" is more than I can pass up. I usually buy kits or bundles online - that way I know they go together. What the owner needs to "get" is those outside purchases bring me into her shop. Get bundle online? Then I'll need backing from her shop.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:57 PM

As much as I'd love to say I only shop at my LQS, the reality is that I can't afford her prices. The new fabrics coming in are $12-13/yd. I do buy there occasionally if I am in a crunch for time or need thread or patterns. I shop at many online shops, and have only had an occasional issue. I can get 2x as much fabric for the money, so it's worth it to me to shop around. I've shopped at many that had very good customer service, and I always make a point to email them to let them know how pleased I am.