Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best quilting related garage sale or market find--

Blog Entries
    Just last weekend I got Jinny Beyers Quilter's Album of Blocks and Borders for $1. Amazon search sells for over $35. It's a classic book for sure!

New searger in box with reciept for $5.00.

Quote Originally Posted by sewgirls
    what is a featherweight i know i sound dumb i
    Hi - it is a vintage Singer sewing machine, lightweight so sewers and quilters love it to take to classes, retreats, etc.
    very pricey - $400 or so - great to find one at a yard sale!!

Blog Entries
    My best buy came off of CL. I found a Phaff 221 in one of the tables still made today for over 800.00 dollars. The machine sets down inside and pulls up. Bought it from the original owner,they bought it in Germany. Came with everything including the original key. She used it to make baby clothes,I use it all the time.

Blog Entries
    Got my featherweight in the green and white case at garage sale for $25. She didn't know what she had either. I have my mom's black one, so I knew what I was getting.

My Find?

Three weekends ago, I had a taupe featherweight WALK-IN to MY garage sale!

My group was collecting donations for scholarship fundraising.

The featherweight was dropped off for sale.

I went into shock but managed to buy it immediately from my own garage. I have cleaned and tuned it up, but it is waiting for its first project.

Aardie.

I think you get the prize for that story....priceless! I am sitting here laughing with envy!

My best finds were found by my husband. He bought 2 featherweights at 2 different garage sales, one was $40 and the other was $50. Both in working order. They both included the cases and all parts for the machine.

I got a box full of quilting magazines for $5.00 and then at a church sale got a box full of quilting books for $3.00. Can't beat those sales

a longarm quilter or a sew/quilt/embroidery machine. Don't tell me it is a longarm as I may just have to kill myself!

I thought getting a janome/kenmore 19006 table top machine was a good deal at 650.00

go figure. good job!

If you haven't tried SewBids.com penny auctions you are really missing out on the latest way to get top sewing merchandise at ridiculously cheap prices. I just won a bolt of Legacy batting worth $54.00 for an amazing $3.92 (four bids of .85 cents plus the final price of .52 cents). I also won 9 Accuquilt GO cutter dies worth $270 for an average of $5 each. Amazing. I lost a few auctions too but where else on earth can you take $20 and turn it into $300 worth of awesome quilting stuff. Right now there are 4 auctions open for your choice of Accuquilt dies. Check back often for loads of different items. I have no affiliation with SewBids.com, just one very happy customer. If you go and sign up please use my name Fireraven and earn us both free bids.
    Debi

Blog Entries
    I have been reading the wonderful finds at at yard sales. A couple of years ago my husband bought a vintage singer in a cabinet for $20 dollars. with lots of attachments. It is in wonerful condition and I am forever using it to repair grandsons jeans. my newer machine will not sew through denim. I love it. don;t know how to use all the attachments but am very happy with it.

I haven't had any finds at garage sale, but I was really stupid a couple years ago. I hadn't been quilting in a while and I must have had 100 magazine or more. So instead of throwing them away, I figured someone might buy them in a garage sale. $3.00...... now I could just kick myself. But some times you just have to clean house.And it gives me reason to buy more.

Does your huband have a brother??? Wow that is awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by CAJAMK
    I am just wondering. I love to go to sales every Sat I can. I have found so many wonderful items over the years. I truly feel blessed as this past weekend I found an embroidery machine for $50 in great working condition. A Brother PE 150. I know it is a bottom line but we all have to start somewhere. I have found wonderful fabrics & notions as well. But I feel this was probably my best quilt related bargain.
    Mine aren't garage sales, but freebie's. First one was from a PEO sister, who had an old machine in her garage for 20 years, and had lost the key to even get into it. She knew I sewed so she asked me if I wanted it. I told her yes and so I went and picked it up. Turned out it was a bentwood case with a Singer Centenial issue.
    The second one was a lady who judges dog shows came to me and said she needed a lining of a skirt shortened, and if I was interested, she had a sewing machine that she had gotten when she got married, and her Mother in law had bought it for her because she felt every household should have a sewing machine. This gal had never opened the machine up so it is off the showroom floor new. Probably a late 50's Singer. Not sure of the date or even how much either machine is worth. The last machine only needed a damp cloth to wipe the dust off and I oiled it, and the cover needed soap and water to clean it. Both are heavy weight machines to carry, but sew like a dream. Both have the boxes of about 12 attachments.

Years ago I went to an auction in PA and saw an old sewing machine cabinet with queen ann legs that matched some other furniture so I put a bid in on it of $10.00. (If had been quiet a little longer I am sure I could have gotten it for $5.00 as no one was interested.) As it turned out there was an old Singer machine in it and it worked so I did a little cleaning and repair work. That machine and I upholstered nearly all the furniture in the house plus all the wonderful finds for our Army tour that next year. (Movers are really hard on furniture and when you move every year or two it gets expensive!) I am still using it nearly 30 years later for all my tough sewing. I finally had to buy a new foot pedal this year. The lady who had owned it must have been a good sewer as there were all kinds of extra feet included in a little box. My most appreciated find!

Got a Singer 66 treadle for $1 on ebay. I was the only person that bid. It was in good condition and it works.

Blog Entries
    My best buys have been featherweights, one for $10 another for $20 and another for $50. Then there was the Giant Dahlia quilt, hand quilted for $13!!

I too got a featherweight for $10. I actually made the lady take $20 cause I know what they're worth. Don't know why $10 made me feel guilty but $20 didn't. :?

a TAN Singer 221 Featherweight !! for $45. needed some work, but I have been yearning for a tan in my collection. Singercraft rug making tool with vintage instructions with wonderful graphics.

Blog Entries
    I am always finding large batches of material and one good buy was a box of quilt magazines for 3.00 that turned out to be 90 when I got home and counte them. Once I got a popcorn tin full of DMC embroidery thread. since I cross stitch, I haven't had to buy thread since. I paid 1.00 for the tin and after I put them on cards and labled them, I have just about every color.

Hi there, I was looking for a small desk to squeeze into a corner of my tiny unit for my computer, and saw at a goodwill store one in a line of desks for $20, looked the right size but when I looked it was a Horn Sewing Cabinet - for $20 !!! So now, not only holds my computer, but also my sewing machine.

Now that is what i call utilizing space! smart move!

Power Poster
    Oh how we love those sales.

Bev
    The last "yard" sale I attended was put on by my guild. I got every kind and brand of rotary rulers for 50c each. Patterns, the expensive ones for quilts, at 5 for a dollar. Most never used. Fat quarters and fabric for practically nothing. I came home with two big shopping bags full after spending only about $15.00.
    The sale was for the guild's coffers, so no one felt the need to charge a whole lot for their stuff. They mostly just wanted to get rid of it, and get it into the hands of fellow quilters. 8-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast