Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Your honest opinions on batting

Blog Entries
    Hobbs wool and Quilters Dream Wool

Quote Originally Posted by darlenec View Post
    I would like to invite y'all to post your honest opinions - pro & con - on the batting that you use. I do sell batting, that is a given. Please name the brand and type [fiber content & manufacutring method; needle punched, needled onto scrim, resin bonded, thermal bonded...] and why you like it. And if you have had a bad experience, share why it was negative.

I hope that we can all learn from your comments. Pellon/Legacy is always trying to improve products that we all use in our work. Please talk about any brand and type and tell us all what sort of work you do; hand quilting, long arm, etc. New quilters to the highly experienced can learn from your input.

You can have input into the products that you use in your quilts.

Darlene Christopherson
    Did you get enough info from us? If so what was the results?
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I just opened a package of Hobbs Thermore - it is soooo thin! I guess it would be nice for hand quilting, but I am going to double it for a table runner and keep the rest for wall hangings or clothing. It is poly and non-bearding according to the package.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Quilter Dream Battings get my vote. Especially their wool batting and the Dream Orient a great blend of bamboo, silk, botanic tencel (eucalyptus) and cotton. It has to be felt to be truly appreciated. My daughter in California says its warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I am a long armer and use almost exclusively Warm and Natural or Warm and White. I have used Hobbs wool (loved it, too warm for me but wonderful for DD who is stationed in South Dakota!), the green recycled bottle batt (soft, nice, have not seen it much in my area) and Hobbs Poly Down (loved it, going to use it as my go to for charity and kids quilts, a bit puffier and shows off the quilting better). Just bought a package of Quilters Dream Poly in the mid loft. Was kinda disappointed it was so flat. I guess I got it mixed up with the Poly Down.
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I, too, love wool batting. I like the "puff" it gets after you quilt it and I love how warm the quilt is. The cotton batting doesn't seem to make my quilts warm at all. I've never tried any poly. But I sure do love the wool batting. That's all I use except for wall hangings and table runners. Then I use cotton batting so it lays flat. For me, anyway.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I have purchased the pellon batting because it was the only black that Joann's had. I'm really glad I was able to use a 50% coupon because the batting is pure junk. It has a weird fuzzy appearance for starters. There were funny gray lines running through it. It was very wrinkled so I put it in a warm dryer for a few minutes to relax it. It filled my dryer lint screen to capacity. Sandwiching the quilt was a lint producing chore. I think I'll donate it to a dog bed making charity.

I only use warm and natural.
    Lynn

I use Warm and Natural on all my quilts. It seems to work better then some of the others I have tired and on small projects I do not have to pin as heavily since it seems to stay in place very well.
    Juliebelle

Blog Entries
    No question, Warm and Natural, if I want thicker batting I just use two pieces bonded together with "505".

My favorite battings are the Hobbs, 80/20, 100% cotton and the wool. I find the Hobbs much easier to hand quilt and I that the quilting shows up much more than with the Warm and Natural. I also love the drape of the quilt when finished. I find the Warm and Natural to be stiff and not as cuddly to wrap up in.

I have used both warm and natural and warm and white and also used Quilters Dream Cotton and liked them a lot, but from reading here, I also want to try the Hobbs 80/20. I had been wanting to try it before but so many love it here that I think it will be my next one to experiment with.

Blog Entries
    Warm and natural and warm and white is my batting of choice. Someone suggested to me to purchase Quilter's Dream batting for table clothes that you want some body for because it has excellent drapability.
    Desiderata (Max Ehrmann) - Walk placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

My favorite is Quilter's Dream Cotton - next would be Warm & Natural. I like them because they are so much easier for me to handle loading on my frame and they quilt up nicely. I tend to have a little trouble with the Hobbs bunching up.

Blog Entries
    I have a question I hope someone can answer. In the past I have only used Warm products, and love them. I bought some Hobbs 80/20 on sale on Craftsy and am in the process of quilting a very large lap (more like twin, or double) on my DSM. When I was handling the batting, i accidentally put my thumb through the batting, which would never have happened with warm and natural. I used a serpentine stitch to repair it, and am quilting it as per usual. Has anyone else had that happen? Will it be ok, repaired in this way? Why did that happen, when I have never had anything like this happen wit Warm products?

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I agree this would not have happened with Warm batting. But the two, Hobbs and Warm are processed differently and that makes the difference. I personally don't care for the warm products for my quilts because they are heavier than I like and don't drape as softly. I used Hobbs products for the first 25 years or so of my quilting life because i was living in Texas where Hobbs is located and they were very proactive in the state quilting circles. I still have Hobbs cotton battings on my shelf.
    But I now prefer The Quilters Dream cottons and wool for the way they come out of the package more ready to use with fewer wrinkles and for their beautiful softness and drape. it doesn't hurt that they are made in Virginia where I now happen to live, LOL! But that is actually just a coincidence.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    I only use wool batting. The wool is great for hand quilting & machine quilting. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer, needles wonderfully, & shrinks the right amount to make my quilts look crinkly.
    Since I've never used wool batting I'd appreciate your suggestions on brands and your experience. I'm specifically looking for natural products. No blends. I'm uncertain if that's the case for batting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    IBut I now prefer The Quilters Dream cottons and wool for the way they come out of the package more ready to use with fewer wrinkles and for their beautiful softness and drape.
    Jan, thanks for the feedback on The Quilters Dream. I noticed that their products come in specific sizes. Have you found them to be adequate for the suggested project or is sizing up a necessity? I'm particularly interested in the wool and natural cotton products.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I long arm and purchase by the roll (although not always wool--rather pricey!). My fav is Hobbs wool--but again, price! I use it, often doubled with Hobbs 80/20 on the bottom, if the quilt is going to be heavily quilted and or a wall hanging. But mostly I use Hobbs 80/20 because I like the loft better than Warm & Natural and had used a Pellon (Legacy??) on charitable quilts that I found very linty. (although it seemed very stable and thick) I don't like poly and try not to use it if I can--some wallhangings it works ok. One thing I like about wool is it doesn't crease as much when folded.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahBethie View Post
    Jan, thanks for the feedback on The Quilters Dream. I noticed that their products come in specific sizes. Have you found them to be adequate for the suggested project or is sizing up a necessity? I'm particularly interested in the wool and natural cotton products.
    I generally find them to be true to size. Realize that quilts are not meant to be bedspreads (according to batting sizes), if you need lots of overhang, size up your purchase.

Quilters Dream makes ALL cotton and cotton blends. I believe their wool may have a "scrim" which you will want as it makes dealing with the handling and quilting distance much easier.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I usually use Hobbs heirloom. I don't like their Tuskany (SP?) near as well. I bought something off the roll at Handcocks (before they went outta business) but don't know what brand it is. I liked it too.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I generally find them to be true to size. Realize that quilts are not meant to be bedspreads (according to batting sizes), if you need lots of overhang, size up your purchase.
    I always assumed that they were for practical or decorative purposes. I think I'll keep them true to size until I get the hang of things. Thanks again.

I am a hand quilter and I started out using W & N because I took a quilt class and that is what the teacher said to use. I thought at the time it was the best thing. But when I joined this board and started reading what several people were saying about it I decided to try other things. I like wool but I have to order it on line and lots of time I am excited to get my stuff in and ready for sandwiching so I buy 80/20 and I like it. I have used Dream Cotton and it is okay. There is one cotton that I bought that tore apart easily but I can't remember which cotton that was. I now really like wool, or 80/20 the best. I did buy some 100% poly but for some reason I haven't used it. The older I get the more I want a batting that is easy to get my needle through and W & N is hard to quilt for me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4