Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are your quilts for you? Or are they gifts? >

Are your quilts for you? Or are they gifts?

Are your quilts for you? Or are they gifts?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:28 PM

I have probably given away as many as I have kept. Running out of room here
though, so the next several will have to go lol!
Old 07-07-2010, 01:56 PM

I am sewing quilts for gifts plus making a quilt for my own bed. Still trying to make up my mind on a pattern and colors. My hubby warned me "NO" pinks or pastel colors.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:26 PM

I have one wallhanging that I've kept. Everything else has gone to various charities - battered woman's shelter, wounded soldiers, fire department, etc. I've never made one as a gift, but am thinking about it.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:40 PM

Any that I've finished have been gifts. Most of the UFOs/WIPs are also destined to be gifts.

My daughter has claimed the one I just finished the top for, but I really do want to keep that one, as it has come out really looking good.

Another one she told me should be for the friend who has commissioned one that I just can't get to come out like I want it to, but I'm going to eventually finish the commissioned one and have plans to do embellishment on the one DD says "looks like Jenny" and want to keep it as a large wall hanging.

Other than those two, most likely all will find their homes with the proper recipients...whether I know who they're for yet or not!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:09 PM

I have an oversized queen quilt that I made for me. I have made a couple of wall hangings that I have kept. One belongs to me and the other to my husband. His hangs in the livingroom and mine is in the sewing room. The rest I have given away to family and friends.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:53 AM

I keep,gift,and donate and even sell some.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:17 AM

Some are for me, some for family and friends, most for charities. For me the pleasure is in the making of the quilt. As soon as it's finished I usually lose interest in it.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:55 AM

I've kept a few for me, my daughter and granddaughter have many and my younger brother has 7....the rest of my family aren't really interested in them. I give scrappy block quilts to the homeless, I guess so far it's been 15 and I'm making 12 for this year. I give them to school where I brother teaches for the yearly fund raiser and I have shipped one to SC for a Catholic church there to raffle off...
Old 07-08-2010, 05:17 AM

I am making quilts for all my close family and friends and me. I have made 17 quilts so far. I have kept three: one for me and two on beds. The rest I have given to family and friends. I am making three quilts this year for my DS, DBIL, and DGS. That will finish immediate family. I also made one quilt to donate to CASA (Court-Appointed Special Advocates) Corridor of East Tennessee as a fundraiser. I love being able to share a lasting gift with family and friends. I have also made table runners and tote bags as gifts.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Just curious...

Have you kept most of the quilts you've made? Or do you sew them mostly for gifts?
Most of the quilts that I do I give away. Still have not made a double quilt for my self. Have made some for the DGK when they come and sleep over but that is all.