Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: you've come a long way baby!

great story!

I love your story, comical at times. Makes me think, my first quilt was a quillo, or whatever you want to call it. Puff quilt. I visited a John Wayne museum and there was one on one of the beds. I fell in love with it. I looked at it, went home to find info about how to make them. Did not understand at first, but, like you went out and got fabric and for the next few months I cut and sewed and stuffed all the blocks. I did mine by hand too. I have the one on my avatar. It is quite a job, but, I am very happy with it. It was for my granddaugter. Blocks have been torn since that time, by the german shepherd they have. He finds it quite a nice soft spot to sleep. I can't repair it, because I don't have enough of the fabric and I am afraid if I take these blocks out, well, I don't exactly know to, but, I am afraid the dog would tear them again

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing your story. Was a great memory that needed others to share it with for our daily smile. We all have stories like that.
    Cindy

I'm laughing about this. So many of us started out somewhat the same way. I didn't know either - use two different colors the teacher said - nothing about value. So I picked green and blue. The quilt was so blah! But, like you, I finished it!
    Thanks for your story.

Blog Entries
    yEARS AGO i MADE A QUILT SIMILAR TO THAT BUT STUFFed EACH square with a nylon stocking. Some lady won it but said she had a hard time keeping it on the bed. It always liked to slide off. Live and learn.

I'm sure we all have similar stories to tell. Mine is that I made a king size quilt that probably was big enough to cover half a football field before it was done. Lots of yardage in that one. lol - such memories

Power Poster
    What a cute story.

Quote Originally Posted by leaha
    sorry no pictures, I didn't have a camera back them, and as far as the quilt, well a DN wanted it so bad it went off to Alaska with him, LOL
    See - the quilt was destined for Alaska from the moment you started it!
    :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Enjoyed your narrative. Tell us more. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Enjoyed your narrative. Tell us more. :thumbup:

But you learned a lot of 'what not to do", right? I am exactly the same way! Sometimes I think the real fun of quilting is fixing my mistakes - or is it seam ripping? I do an awful lot of that!

Blog Entries
    That's a cute story!!! Let's hear the rest!

I have never taken a quilting class.

I made my first two quilts over 30 years and then didn't quilt again until about 10 years ago. Things have really changed in the quilting world since I first started!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xsquilter
    Oh Leaha, that's too funny! I'm kind of the "jump right in" type of person at times, but certainly not like you did! What a wonderful story!
    Maureen
    Me to, I jump right in, then I just sort of stop!

WhoooHooo!! That was just too funny! Thank you for a good laugh!!! I too would be interested in stories 2 and 3!

I have a few funny stories bec I jumped right in feet first to make quilts. My rational is that I slept under the quilt my Granny made and every nite and every morning I would look at it till I convinced myself .."I can do this" :-) That was over 20 yrs ago and I have learned a lot. My Granny would be proud!!!

That is such a great story. I am laughing with memories of my "mistakes".

Blog Entries
    I have about 600 of them little 4" pillows all sewed, turned some stuffed in a bin and some day I will finish them they are made out of fall prints.

I would love to see the quilt too.

Sounds to me like you could write and book about your quilts! Make some money to make more quilts.

Blog Entries
    Show us the quilt please!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Wow, what a great story! Thanks for the laugh - and who knows, maybe it could be used for a mattress!

Blog Entries
    Oh, this is so embarrassing! I hate to admit it but I did something very similar. One of my first quilts was a nylon tricot comforter (remember those?) for my second daughter when she got married. It was beautiful ..... purple on one side, lavender on the other. She wanted it "really puffy, Mom." I started out with one nice high-loft batt, but that wasn't puffy enough. Added another. And another. That thing ended up with five batts in it! It bent the needles when you tried to quilt it, but I finally got it finished.

I don't know what happened to it. All I know is they said it was too heavy and too hot to sleep under! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Would like to see it!

Maybe we've live the same life! I was 15, Grandpa gave me her machine after she died. I saw a beautiful $150 quilt with individual puffs in a department store.That was alot of money in 1971. I would try to make it. I didn't buy enough fabric as I had no idea how much was needed. Long story short: 5 different yellows, 16 lbs. of "stuffing" later, I had made a double. I got married in 1980; we have never used it, as we've lived in AZ, CA & NV (southern areas of each) & it's light yellows! We could get that dirty just from dust in about 1 week! My husband made a beautiful wooden chest in which it has "lived" for about 30 years!HA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast