Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.5” swap – Let’s Make “Charming Addition”! ***Sign up closes June 5, 2013***

Blog Entries
    @barri: I have space issues too and kids!

I have a flannel backed plastic table cover that I picked up from the $ store. I applied sticky backed Velcro to the plastic side and did the same thing to the top of a window sill (hidden from everyday view).

Normally, I use it (plastic side up) to keep the dust off of my fabric cutter. When I need a design wall, I Velcro it up. Voila!
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Fraew;

I have a flannel backed plastic table cover that I picked up from the $ store. I applied sticky backed Velcro to the plastic side and did the same thing to the top of a window sill (hidden from everyday view).

[/QUOTE]

I had planned to buy a cheap flannel top sheet to hang as a design board but a flannel backed tablecloth would have better stability.

I like the idea of putting up a flannel sheet, but think I might want to put it over the bed, as there will be more room on it.. I was also thinking of using scotch tape to put the squares on . I can't get to the window sill, as my cutting table is against it and the radiator is there. I don't care what people would think if they saw it hanging up in the bedroom, as this place looks like a grenade went off in a fabric store, and they have to take me for whom I am, and not that I don't clean well..

Sounds like a great swap! I'm in for 20 sets. Sending a PM.

Blog Entries
    berri1, what is it about sewing that makes it so hard to keep things neat. My sewing room looks like a grenade went off in it too. But I know where to find everything! LOL

I can think of a bunch of reasons why I can't keep it neat.. I'm a slob. I work over fifty hours a week. I have a dog that the snippets travel on his hair. I'm in a one bedroom apartment. I'm working on four of the same quilts for my staff. I don't like wasting fabric, and save my scraps for other quilting projects. I like buying quilting supplies when they are on sale. I have everything organized, so I don't have to look hard for anything, but .. If I am working on something, and have to stop to get ready for a swap, things get left out, and put on hold. I also have stuff that I am working on for work, that I alternate doing while I am cutting. I have fabric that gets ironed on my kitchen counter, as I don't want to leave an ironing board out. Of course I like to leave the ironed fabric out to dry a little before I cut it.. I can go on, but I'm thinking that I would love to buy a two bedroom apartment to have the freedom of containing everything..

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quilting supplies are like expanding foam insulation. They grow to fill every space available. Getting a bigger sewing room pretty much guarantees buying more quilting stuff and still being in a clutter.

Well I originally said 9 sets but I now have 25 lol. Been cutting away in between other projects. Now I don't feel like such a newbie . Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!
    Like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - yeah we all shine on.

Blog Entries
    Update...if I missed anything, please let me know:

1. Fraew - 30 sets
    2. SheriR - 30 sets
    3. creatfourpaws - 30 sets
    4. Grandma Di - 10 sets
    5. barri1 - 30 sets
    6. sustraley - 30 sets
    7. dottie dodge - 30
    8. moonrise - 30
    9. Yankeegirl - 25
    10. Darcene - 30
    11. jojo4 - 30
    12. jarenie - 30
    13. KayMarie - 16
    14. KatFish - 30
    15. nls - 30
    16. mollymunchkin - 16
    17. quiltinghere -
    18. JudyVA - 15
    19. benndm - 30
    20. Mamaskeeto - 10
    21. Lisa_wanna_b_quilter - 15
    22. quiltingdragon - 30
    23. nurse bonnie - 30
    24. Honchey - 30
    25. kele - 20
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski

I've not heard anybody mention batiks...I have started cutting a bunch of batiks, and wonder if "all batiks" is an option? I'm cutting myself a set as well, and think an all batik charming addition would be awesome. Let me know if anybody else thinks so, as I think when I sign up I'll do all batiks to send. Never been in one of these swaps before, but started cutting today...and could probably cut enough for all of you!! (too much fabric hanging around, and not enough hours in the day)

One more thing....if you have a String Quilt on your bucket list (google images of string quilts)? As long as you have that piece of fabric unfolded to cut a strip off for the charms, you might as well cut a couple of strips for a string quilt and set them aside in a basket...saves getting them all out again! String quilt strips can be anywhere from 3/4 to 2 inches wide...I usually do 1 inch up to 1 3/4 inchers...makes a good variety. That's the one thing about scrappy quilts..boy do I tend to make a mess getting out so many fabrics! FUN FUN FUN time though.

I'm almost finished cutting, and am having so much fun. Since I started cutting, it seems that the fabric has invaded all parts of the apartment.. Ughhh.. I am saving the pieces for a string quilt. I also came up with another idea.. Since I have been in a couple of swaps lately, I didn't know what to do with the bags that the squares came in. If they were in good shape, and I got the label off, they are going into this swap.. I hated to waste them.. If anyone objects. Please let me know..

I have 15 sets cut & packaged with fabric pressed and ready to cut for the rest...
    One of the members of another group here on the Board sent me a surprise....25 different sets of 5.....I mentioned that I was doing this swap with the quilt in mind and she wanted to help me out... That was so nice of her to do that...
    I now have around 75 sets...Anyone know offhand how many we need for the quilt???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow what a great Charming group we have! I'm just getting home from watching Princess golf at Nationals in Florida. We drove there Wednesday, hiked the course Thursday/Friday and driving home today. Whirlwind trip!! BUT (if I can brag) her team took 2nd in Division III NCAA!!! It was so pro! There was a guy following the girls with a score sign! AND out of some 120 players, my daughter took 7th and made AllAmerican!!! It's such a huge deal we are still pinching ourselves!

So now back to sewing and cutting and work, until Wednesday when my girls and I go to visit family in Idaho for a week!

Two questions I saw...Batiks! We all love them. A Charming Batik would be fabulous!

And-I looked back in the thread Fraew posted the link too. Ube Quilting used 343 different fabrics in her quilt and her finished flimsy is 80"x80".
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Blog Entries
    @HuskerQuilter: all batiks? Oh my that will be gorgeous when you finish.

Moonrise wins the Speedy Gonzales award! The package of 30 arrived today.
    Fraew

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    343 different fabrics?!?!?! We're going to need another round to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraew View Post
    @HuskerQuilter: all batiks? Oh my that will be gorgeous when you finish.

Moonrise wins the Speedy Gonzales award! The package of 30 arrived today.
    Yay! Glad they arrived safely. I liked to NEVER squeezed them all into that envelope! LOL!
    Have a wonderful day! If you need to contact me, please use the e-mail address on my profile page. Sometimes I don't get notifications that I have a PM here. Please note that I'm usually unavailable on weekends, but I'll get back to you on Monday.

OK, ladies. I've been contemplating joining this swap for about a week now. I've admired the Charming Addition quilt for some time now and I'm ready to take the first step. I'm in for 30 sets.

Blog Entries
    Welcome CyndyK!
    Fraew

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    343 different fabrics?!?!?! We're going to need another round to get there.

Another swap would put us close!

Nan
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

Congrats to Princess for 7th place!

I could do another round. 343 really isn't that much when you think about it. If you do 30 sets that's 150 different colors if you cut a set for yourself when you cut for the swap that would give you 300 different colors. I kow it sounds to easy.

Wow 343 different fabrics, will need to plan to cut from 60 different fabrics for a second round, so by cutting a set for myself the same time, wouldn't be too bad when we have another round.

I have about 50 fabrics washed, pressed, and ready to be cut down to the size needed for the accucutter not to have to deal with too much fabric there. I find if I cut them into 13 inch square it gives me little waste and plenty of squares for the swap. I haven't had time this weekend to get the the cutter, so I am hoping I can soon, if not this weekend will be next weekend after I finish a few other swaps that are due before this one.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Quote Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
    Yay! Glad they arrived safely. I liked to NEVER squeezed them all into that envelope! LOL!

WOW that was fast. What type of envelope did you use that that almost didn't fit into????
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by createfourpaws View Post
    WOW that was fast. What type of envelope did you use that that almost didn't fit into????
    Moonrise used a USPS flat rate envelope, taped really well. And it still arrived with 2 holes!

I recommend the USPS padded flat rate envelopes. Otherwise, tape really well, especially along the seams.
    Fraew

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast