Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2020 June through November Round Robin >

2020 June through November Round Robin

2020 June through November Round Robin

Old 08-23-2020, 02:53 AM

I'm another that loves to get up and sew for a bit before DH gets up. DH is the main meal preparer, so when he gets up it's breakfast time. He's siding the shed this weekend so I've been helping out here and there with the large peices.

I got distracted yesterday by the tote of scraps from mask making, so I started cutting curves and sewing them together. Ended up with (finished) 4 - 12x12. 6 - 9x9, 13 - 6x6 , 2 - 6x12, 2 - 3x9, 2 - 3x6 and 35 - 3x3. I think I'm going to use narrow black sashing so I'll need to do some trimming to get them to fit together. The fun part will be figuring out a layout, glad I have EQ for that.

I'll start working on Carrie's quilt when I've got a longer stretch of time to work on it. It's nice to be working on something scrappy when you have to keep taking breaks to run outside and help lift a sheet of plywood into place.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:06 AM

I got a lot done yesterday and I'm still feeling really good about what I'm doing. Oh, I always have my doubts... I'm adding/changing colors a bit. Before the top got to me I was pretty certain that I was going to be turning it on point and it would be bright red and blue and pops of yellow. That's not what is happening now, not the on point and not the bright colors.

Have one last set of sub-units to connect with spacers this morning, then I'll have to wait until tomorrow (and hubby back at work) to layout what I have so far and figure out the corners. Still have a bunch of flexibility/design decisions on layout. Think I'll have a progress photo by the end of the week.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:41 AM

Group #2 - we are all ahead - all our second rounds are done and moved on to next miracle quilter. Great job everyone.

I have Carrie's and was supper inspired when I only had to go to two stores to find matching fabric! I had taken out a few books of borders from library and found one that is working very well (I have impressed myself really!!)

I actually went through my stash containers and ironed/refolded them. Took out anything less than a FQ and put them aside. What a feeling having it in order. When the boomerang starts I am ready!
Have a great Sunday!
Old 08-23-2020, 07:17 AM

I was also bit by the cleaning/organizing bug! I completely flipped my sewing room. I moved my sewing machine our from under a large window.... morning sun was always in my face. I have 2 rolling 48x60" shelving units and my cutting tables.... both with wheels... love wheels! Now I have a whole open wall for a design board! Hubby has it on his todo list to pick up foam boards!

I plan to order graph flannel for the design wall. Has anyone used it? Recommendations?
Attached Thumbnails grids.jpg  
Old 08-24-2020, 07:35 AM

Hubby's back at work and it looks like he'll be working some serious overtime until our trip, the third shift person that is in his group has transferred to a different facility. Hubby and the other guy will be working 12s until someone is hired and/or they train the replacement and/or our trip date arrives. It will be sort of nice to have the chance to miss him a bit before the trip

Yesterday we went up north about an hour and visited my cousin and my aunt at my cousin's horse facility. She retired from Boeing around 60-ish and bought a boarding facility 2 years ago and this was our first time out there. Her last place was quite a nice house with a barn -- this is a quite a nice barn with a house Although they have more stalls available she feels she doesn't have enough acreage or time to hand more than the six boarded horses and her two.

Her daughter did dressage when she was younger and they have a nice covered arena attached to the main barn. Outside there is a circular lunge pen and some holding pens for going outside a bit in the winter. The separated paddocks are a bit further down. Our little dogs did fine with the horses, but the chickens scared Harley...

It was a nice day to be outside and maintain separation distances. It is hard to be a hugger in a year of no hugs
Old 08-24-2020, 08:56 AM

It's gonna be hot and sticky this week so I'll be spending lots of time sewing as my sewing area is in the basement.
I sorted all my small scraps into 4 different lengths and started sewing 10.5 wonky log cabin blocks. I'm slowing witling down my stash, even if my husband can't see it shrinking.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:19 PM

I am in Group 1. This is round 4? I think? Anyway, sewbizgirl, I hope you like it. The idea just popped into my head the minute I got your center. I drew it out on graph paper and it just came together easily. I added a house in each corner with a heart on it for the door to tie in the other rounds. I will sit on it for a while until it is closer to the mailing date.

Thanks to my DH who held this up so I could take pictures. He is my design wall.
Attached Thumbnails 2020082495165453.jpg   2020082495165544.jpg  
Old 08-24-2020, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

Wow Mary! I love that!!! What a creative design popped out of your head. Wish I had a head like that. It looks so gorgeous. You killed it, Thank you.

This is Round 3, btw....
Old 08-24-2020, 04:18 PM

Wonderful Mary! So bright and colorful!
Old 08-24-2020, 04:33 PM

Bugaroo--my design wall isn't so fancy but sometimes I wish it was. I have foam insulation and then covered it with flannel backed table cloth material (flannel side out so fabric will stick to it).

Mary--your border is great!! Way to tie all the elements together.

I might get to the quilt shop Thursday, but probably not until next week. My idea is coming together for jaba's next round...once I have all the fabrics I'll do some test blocks...

Cortisone shot Wednesday in my thumb...not sure how long it will take for it to start working...