Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap >

2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

Old 02-12-2021, 04:35 AM

Love, I feel your pain. I also did some quilt ripping. I was so impressed with my efforts to do the spiral quilting on the Debby Brown January quilt. Impressed with myself that I had taken on the challenge and won. Then I turned over the quilt and nearly fell off my chair. Tucks, tucks, tucks all over the place. Picked out lots of the spiral, re-spray based the dickens out of it and now will go at it again this week-end. I agree that if we are not happy with our work we either never finish it or we regret not taking the time to make the correction. We can just chalk it up to lessons learned and not make those mistakes again.

Pass the word to your friends on or off the board about this swap and the QB. Your enthusiasm is contagious.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:12 AM

Hey Ya'll, we need to tell all our friends. I will post to my FB groups.

Can we post to the main board here? There's so many rules and I can't remember them all.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:48 AM

Some of you might be wondering about the "Debby Brown" challenge that WMUTeach has referred to. This is a "quilt a month" project and each month there is a new design that uses 4x4 candie blocks. You do need to sign up to get an account, but everything is free. Debby has said that she encourages people to play with her designs and come up with something more unique - and that's what I've been doing. The designs themselves are not difficult, and I'm using this as a learning experience playing with colors.

Here is my January and February designs. The are not quilted yet.

Attached Thumbnails imgp5276.jpg   imgp5296.jpg  
Old 02-12-2021, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Love, I feel your pain. I also did some quilt ripping. I was so impressed with my efforts to do the spiral quilting on the Debby Brown January quilt. Impressed with myself that I had taken on the challenge and won. Then I turned over the quilt and nearly fell off my chair. Tucks, tucks, tucks all over the place. Picked out lots of the spiral, re-spray based the dickens out of it and now will go at it again this week-end. I agree that if we are not happy with our work we either never finish it or we regret not taking the time to make the correction. We can just chalk it up to lessons learned and not make those mistakes again.

Pass the word to your friends on or off the board about this swap and the QB. Your enthusiasm is contagious.

Oh man, I think I would have fallen off my chair and beat on the floor for a bit... I'm so glad you are fixing it though. Yes, I've learned lots of lessons making quilts and quilting them. Lol! Hard lessons!

I will tell my quilting buddy about it and see if she wants to join. I might send out an email to my quilt guild and see if they want part of this as well. Thanks, I have to admit I'm pretty serious and enthusiastic when it comes to quilting.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:34 PM

Default Debby quilts

Macybaby, those quilts are beautiful! I'm kinda speechless at the moment. I didn't realize you could do that with different fabrics in the same color range. I feel silly now... The quilt and fabric stores get you to think that the fabrics have to be in their line or a layer cake or jelly roll. I have to start thinking outside of the box. I can learn a lot from you gals, I can already tell. I'm so happy! Thank you for sharing your quilts with us and telling us about the Debby Brown quilt challenge.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by WendyMcD View Post
Hey Ya'll, we need to tell all our friends. I will post to my FB groups.

Can we post to the main board here? There's so many rules and I can't remember them all.
Thanks for mentioning us to your FB groups. As far as posting to the the main board here, give it a try. I was thinking the same thing. If it breaks the rules, then the post would be deleted I guess. I have mentioned it in several of the threads on the QB, but it seems that there is a core group the read and post frequently. They already know about the swap and have chosen to not participate this year. I would love us to tap into the silent thousands who might be lurkers or occasional readers.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Loveofquilts View Post
Macybaby, those quilts are beautiful! I'm kinda speechless at the moment. I didn't realize you could do that with different fabrics in the same color range. I feel silly now... The quilt and fabric stores get you to think that the fabrics have to be in their line or a layer cake or jelly roll. I have to start thinking outside of the box. I can learn a lot from you gals, I can already tell. I'm so happy! Thank you for sharing your quilts with us and telling us about the Debby Brown quilt challenge.
LOL - I am not normally one who goes with the designer color combo - and love using my stash with a new piece. But my stash is plain and dull. So I picked up a jelly roll with different colors and designs that I would never have put together and made it up. I was amazed at it - and it was a favorite with my "artist" teen grandaughter.
so if I see a far out combo of jelly roll I will pick it up now. But rarely will I do so with a whole line!!
Thinking outside the box is what makes us all unique.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:50 AM

I am always tempted to get the bundles or Jolly Roll. Something about those yummy colors all rolled up is so inviting. I finally got one and was not happy about how similar the designs are. I plan to use them as boarder for some future quilt. I am used to the scrappy looks.

I started to cut the squares, my 5yrs old is so excited for the candies. I gave her a set. She is having fun arranging them.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:54 PM

Hi Birthday Candie Swappers. I'm going to join you this year. I don't have much time to sew so far this year but I can cut! Thank you for the hints regarding card size and envelope issue news with mailing the candies. I think a run to the post office at once to get them ready for mailing works for me. T

his swap sounds like a lot of fun and an easy way to build a quilt with lots of different fabrics. Maybe I can finish my millennium quilt! Consider me the UFO queen of the quiltingboard. One day I might resign my position. In the meantime, I am having fun with all the fabric and half finished projects. And that's my priority right now. The simple joy of petting my fabric and looking at what can be done with it should I ever have the time.

Great to meet you all. Juana
Old 02-13-2021, 04:22 PM

Default Pleased to meet you too Juana

I am so happy you are joining us. I am also a lover of fabric petting and dreaming about the things I can do with them. I have a bunch of UFOs to finish as well. I'm working on getting more organized so I can find out just how many I have to finish, lol! Baby steps, right?