Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares) >

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

Old 01-17-2023, 05:54 AM

Someone on the main board posted a link to a new BH pattern "unchained". She used a vintage quilt for inspiration. This looks like a great pattern to use up 2.5" squares. From looking at her instructions, it appears she's going with a smaller size square, so going with candy size would mean making less rows.

I've been so on the fence about joining this year, as my candy stash large enough already. So I'm actively working on pattern that will get them used.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:19 AM

Macybaby, I saw Unchained yesterday and had the same thought. Someone here might like it. https://quiltville.com/shop.html#!/U...egory=13038426. And it’s currently on sale.

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Someone on the main board posted a link to a new BH pattern "unchained". She used a vintage quilt for inspiration. This looks like a great pattern to use up 2.5" squares. From looking at her instructions, it appears she's going with a smaller size square, so going with candy size would mean making less rows.

I've been so on the fence about joining this year, as my candy stash large enough already. So I'm actively working on pattern that will get them used.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

Cool pattern but most definitely not for me!
Old 01-17-2023, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rebaquilts View Post
Hi everyone and thanks for all of the tips for cutting and mailing. That has been most helpful to a newbie. The six piles and oversize birthday card is a great tip, as is the 5x7 envelope tip. Since this is also my first swap, feel free to send the old ones my way too. I love batiks, my go-to fabric for just about everything unless I fall in love with a precut. My avatar was made with a $5 clearance precut. Does anyone else cut up precuts for the swap? I have extra layer cake fabrics from the Merry Mayhem quilt this year that I am going to love to send.

Hugs all and thanks for letting me join with all of you!
Feel free to use any fabric you have. Cutting up a layer cake is good use of fabric in your hand. Go for it.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:47 PM

I recall the first few years of doing this swap I cleaned out so many scraps and “less than a quarter yard” stash. I now cut my leftovers into 5” squares that I can cut into candy. Helps me to keep organized. Especially when on the road.
Last year I went to a Amish/Mennonite auction sale and found precut candy!!! Some were singles others 50 of each. So you all will be getting different batches.
I used “my” 50 to start another scrappy!

Old 01-18-2023, 07:15 PM

Only 2 days for the first b-day. Ohh, ohh. I’m excited.

Gotta get ready.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:55 AM

I used the pic of the original quilt that BH used and drafted it to use 2.5" squares. I'm changing the solid square in a square to use an hourglass set on point for the inner square, using more candies. Bonnie is using much smaller pieces in her quilt.

It's going to use 82 yellow and 82 red for the hourglass blocks, and then 800 assorted dark squares for the chain part. I went through my two totes and pulled what I want to use, and even after pulling almost 1,000 squares out, they are still full, just not packed full. I'm going with one fabric for the background.
Old 01-19-2023, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Only 2 days for the first b-day. Ohh, ohh. I’m excited.

Gotta get ready.
Well you got my heart racing - I thought I missed sending something out this month!! But next month - the one who was always last is now first!!
Old 01-19-2023, 03:42 PM

Wonder who it could be? 😀😀😀
Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
Well you got my heart racing - I thought I missed sending something out this month!! But next month - the one who was always last is now first!!
Old 01-19-2023, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
Wonder who it could be? 😀😀😀
Wink, Wink! Tee-Hee-Hee