Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 5" Charm Swap - August Theme: Browns/Tans

5" Charm Swap - August Theme: Browns/Tans

***The Theme for this monthís Swap is Brown/Tans!***

1. You may swap up to 12 bags with 15 different 5" square charms in each bag. Send the kind you hope to receive. Only send 100% quilting cotton squares!

Do Not Send: thin fabrics, homespuns, dotted swiss, denim, flannel, polyester or polyester blends, eyelet, wool, linen, fleece, knit, broadcloth, seersucker, Etc. Only send 100% quilting cotton, please.

2. Take your time cutting and be sure you have correctly cut 5Ē squares. No one wants wonky squares! Iíve done this by mistake, too. It happens, but try to be careful 😊

Cutting/Packaging Method:
    We will be sending 15 Different fabrics in each bag we swap. All your bags can have the same mixture in them, or different, but you cannot repeat fabrics in any one bag. We will be swapping bag for bag, so there must be 15 different fabrics in each bag. Please put your board name & location on every bag you are swapping. For instance, "Redstilettos, West Bend, WI".

3. Put all your swap bags in one big ziplock then affix a tag on it that includes your name and mailing address, as well as your board name. That will keep them together in your package and if it happens to get torn open in shipment - your address will be there for the P.O. to return to you. Padded flat rate envelopes are the best shipping method, the paper ones have a tendency to break open. You can order the padded flat rate envelops from the post office online, in packages of 10, and they are free. The cardboard type seams to rip too often for them to be reliable.

4. Postage: It costs $7.25 to ship the padded flat rate envelop. Please include a USPS Money Order for $7.25 in your big ziplock to pay to return ship to you. Very well hidden cash or stamps are okay as well. I cannot ship back to you until I receive payment. No personal or company checks, please. Also, Please put your board name on the outside of your package. I don't open these until I am ready to distribute, and having your board name on the outside allows me to keep track of any I may be missing, or allow me to give feedback to you when your package has arrived.

5. Sign-Ups end August 15th. All charms need to be in my hands by August 23rd, with final distribution by August 28th. Packages arriving late will be returned unswapped.

If I receive All swaps early, distribution back to swappers will be early, too!
    Letís aim to be early! If I do not receive early, distribution happen by August 28th.

Iím looking forward to having you!

If you have questions, please PM me,
    Thank you!
    Red

Oh how clever of you to now add the dirt to our garden! I'm in for browns and tans this month.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
    Oh how clever of you to now add the dirt to our garden! I'm in for browns and tans this month.
    LOL! Mary, your comment cracked me up! Yes~! Our florals need dirt!~ And water, but then, we've already done blue
    LOL

cute!

In for 12. Do I need to PM you? All my info is the same. Thanks!

I did the dot swap and it was so much fun I want to try again. I don't think I did every thing right the first time (the feedback, I think I really messed up). A question though - Is it totally brown or can it be brown with a color in it as well? Like Brown and gold or brown and turquoise or brown and orange. Let me know. Thanks.
    I will do 12.

Welcome Batik! I'm sure Red will be replying to your question soon but, if you want an immediate answer, the charms should be predominantly some shade of brown or tan. I judge my choices by standing 5 - 10 feet away from the fabric or group of fabrics, squint my eyes and then name the color I see most. Others may have a different method or methods of determining their selection of fabrics that could be helpful to you. This group has been great to help me along as I grow in my quilting skills and I've learned so much from them.

Well folks, we are off to a slow start, which is something I worried about when doing brown.

So far we have:
    Mary Mo
    Moonrise
    Batik 54
    Redstilettos.

What are your thoughts? Mine are to wait a few more days and see if we get more participants, and if not we can either just swap 3-4 sets, or cancel altogether. Input would be great!

Batik, I don't recall major issues, so just follow the directions and ask away for clarification. MaryMo was right in her response. You can certainly have other colors in your tans/browns. It just has to be a 80% predominantly tan/brown color. I like her idea of stepping back and squinting. It really does work! If that fails, post a pic and everyone will chime in, I'm sure. We've all done that with various fabrics.

Hi Red …. I like your idea of waiting a few days before making a decision. Browns can be boring but the best things are brown …... chocolate, coffee, ……. . Hopefully others will join in.

I plan on joining - just have a lot going on this weekend so was going to wait until Monday to jump in.

I have a lot of browns/tans to share. I don't think they are boring at all!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    I’m holding back due to life events around here, we have a Havanese just now going into labor so I’m afraid to take on anything more with puppies on the way.
    ďBe the change you wish to see in the world.Ē
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Iím in for another 12 if we have enough participants. I had so much fun with the florals I canít wait to see what browns we get! Do you still need my info?

Pamela, good luck with the puppers!

Sheryllyn, not yet, let's wait a few more and see how many we have

I am in for 12!
    Choose to focus your time, energy and conversation around people who inspire you, support you and help you to grow you into your happiest, strongest, wisest self.~Karen Salmansohn

Yea! The second PO I stopped at had some flat rate padded envelopes.

And - DH are going out of town this weekend and have plans to stop at a fabric store that is going out of business. It's the sister store to the one we have locally(also closing) and they just lowered the prices to 75% off everything. I'm going to load of on backing and what ever else that I like. Good thing I'm taking the van!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Hey! I'm in for 12. I found enough before I singed up. Plus a shop near me has 20% off some great tans and browns. These trades are lots of fun.
    If we do not have enough people, Let us know on the day after closing how many to send, or just trade all the packages. I would rather have 2 of someone elses than receive my own back.
    Last edited by trish b; 08-09-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Oh, macybaby, my husband wouldnít even stop while traveling even if I had to go to the bathroom so bad my knuckles were white!
    You have a keeper there. we just got back from a short out of state trip to his family 𝑃𝑟𝑜𝑝𝑒𝑟𝑡𝑦 and when he saw I had packed my extra sewing machine I am going to have to repaint the walls because the paint is now pealing from the four letter words he was screaming at me. 😣. Maybe one day, no never mind I wonít finish that thought.
    When I grow old I will wear Red and Purple, and imagine a world where fabric is free and Quilting makes you thin !

Hi Red- Put me down. I'm good for 12.

Great!

So far we have
    MaryMo
    Moonrise

Batik 54

Macy Baby

Sheryllyn
    Hav4boys

Trish
    Dsenters
    Crispy

And I have NO idea why I'm getting spaces between names. I think my laptop has gremlins!

With me that's 10. So unless we get a few more participants, we may be getting duplicates. Is that okay? Otherwise just sent less than 10 packages and then , voila! No duplicates.

Hopefully a few more will sign up

Well, unless things change, I'm in for 9. If anybody else decides to join, I'll add more sets. Hope I can find my fudge fabric for extra charms …..

Iím good for 9 and like MaryMo said Iíll just add more sets if needed.

Okay, here's a little ha ha for everyone: I was contemplating cleaning out the spare room (did not get much farther than the contemplation). I had my bag of padded envelopes in there.

Well one of the dogs (shih tzu) went in there and must have been rummaging around. She must have been playing with the strips that holds the adhesive tape. She had two envelopes stuck to her paws when she tried coming out. You should have seen her trying to walk. She was very confused trying to shake the envelopes off. LOL

Ah well....it's the little things that crack me up I guess!

I'll be cutting up fabric soon and getting it in the mail as soon as we have a "for sure" count.

I spent double what I had planned at the "going out of business" sale on Friday. Came home with about 140 yards of regular cotton fabric at about 2.50 a yard, and 50 yards of extra wide backing at 4.50 a yard, plus a handful of bag hardware (hooks, rings, zippers) and 220 yards of lace at 5 cents a yard. But on a good note, I gave away about 40 quilts at the reunion, so that is probably over 300 yards of fabric (front and back) so I can justify that I was only replenishing what I'd used up!

Rationalization is such a nice thing LOL.

So I am assuming that I need to get 9 in the mail to you instead of 12.
    It will still be fun and I can't wait to see what arrives.

Just a few thoughts:

For those of you that want to do 9 sets, it's understandable if you want all your charms different. But if you are going for a quilt that is scrappy-- over the size of a bed quilt, it's hardly noticeable if there are two charms the same here and there, when most of the charms are different.

Plus, there are lots and lots of block patterns that use eight 2 1/2" candies, or four triangles. You can cut two charms into candies or triangles, so it can be very useful to have two charms of the same print if you plan to make blocks.

Plus, it's a better deal for the cost of postage to go to the top limit of charms.

Macy baby, I remember you saying you were doing the quilts for your reunion, but I had NO idea you were doing that many! Kudos to you! I bet they loved seeing you walk in! Now to organize it all. I'd love to see a picture of your bounty once you do!

givio had a good point. If you don't mind a few repeats, doing 10 or 12 makes the most sense from a postage standpoint. I don't mind having a few repeats, because...well. Hi. My name is Chris and I'm a fabric hoarder.
    LOL

And like trish stated earlier, I'd rather have a duplicate of someone else's fabrics than a duplicate of my own.

It's all good, though, how ever many you decide to swap.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast