Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: APRIL CIVIL WAR REPRODUCTION D4P swap

Glad you got my blocks. I just finished doing the batiks and black for July. I have them on the design wall. Because of the colors of batiks that I got, they look like dark chocolate creams. i am reminded of a big box of chocolates. I will start on the Asians next. I am holding off on the cherry chocolate ones until we definitely decide on what design we are using. I do have my fabric though. Such fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Lover Grandma View Post
    I am holding off on the cherry chocolate ones until we definitely decide on what design we are using. I do have my fabric though. Such fun!
    You're so funny! Please take a look at the Feb/Valentines thread - last pages. Has pics and explanation.

Jane
    Jane

Oh, Jane! That's a new thing, to have a variety of blocks per set. It helps people who are using up stash or 'scraps'-- where they might have two 5" square charms to complete a block, but not more of the same fabric to complete a set.

Before I commit, have a question. I know I see shirting as fabric description on many bolts and I think I have a some, but I have collected allot of shirts (men's-100 cotton-saving to make a quilt). Which most if not all are just like new. If it's light, would it be okay to use them if I see where it coordinates with my dominant fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by givio View Post
    Oh, Jane! That's a new thing, to have a variety of blocks per set. It helps people who are using up stash or 'scraps'-- where they might have two 5" square charms to complete a block, but not more of the same fabric to complete a set.

Ditto, like this idea.

Check out www.quiltshops.com and type 'shirting faric' in the search window. You'll find lots of examples of shirting fabrics. Hancocks of Paducah is another great resource.

Jane
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jane

It would be wonderful if more ladies signed up. The blocks are so much fun to get and promise lots of good quilts.

CRO
    How many do we have signed up? I am very excited for this swap!

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    Finished my Asian blocks today so will show all of you what I'm sending in. Hope you like themName:  DSCF2027.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  1.25 MBName:  DSCF2028.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  1.23 MBName:  DSCF2029.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  1.22 MB

Blog Entries
    Jane, I have one question, was going to start the pink and brown so just did 2 blocks and want to make sure they are right. Please advise when you have timeName:  DSCF2023.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  1.19 MBName:  DSCF2024.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  1.20 MBName:  DSCF2025.JPG
Views: 68
Size:  1.18 MBName:  DSCF2026.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  1.23 MBYou had said neutral and showed white so that's what I used. Please let me know. Thanks

CRO
    Jaba love your Asian fabric!! I didn't know how big print would look so didn't use any. Now I am sad I didn't.

Blog Entries
    CRO just picked them purely by color choice. Didn't know it was going to be black when I bought them. Bought all the tone on tone for each print also, going to have to make more blocks to use up some fabric and just put a little spin to it. Not sure I'm happy with this pink and brown choice, just kind of looks "plain" to me, like too much white or something. Maybe because I just did the Asian.

Wow! I am still finishing up the Patriotic one. Getting there. Is there a thread started for the Asian one? Is the solid Kona black? These blocks look really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by jaba View Post
    Finished my Asian blocks today so will show all of you what I'm sending in. Hope you like themName:  DSCF2027.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  1.25 MBName:  DSCF2028.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  1.23 MBName:  DSCF2029.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  1.22 MB
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    I don't think a brand was stated Anna, just solid black but that's what I normally use. I had ordered some Moda black to see the difference but don't think I will buy it again. Sure is a thinner weight fabric than Kona and found after doing these blocks I'd rather sew with Kona cotton. Lesson learned for me. Did the same thing with the white and don't like it as well either. Going to go to the Craftsy site today and order both colors while they have the 4 yd. cuts on sale.

Nice Asians! I have two more sets to make, The brown and pink confuse me also. I have the fabric but I am waiting to cut them out.

Blog Entries
    QLG post pics when you're done, love those pics. I'm sure Janice will answer soon, I'm waiting but her job has her out of town a lot.

Good morning all!

I've been away from the thread. Busy busy busy - - -

Cro - at the moment we have 6 signed up for the CW swap.

Jaba, my friend - - your Asian blocks and the layout for your CCC blocks ((how about that for an abbreviation??)) are great. Were you in sales and marketing in a previous life?? Perfect promotion for upcoming blocks. Interesting about your experience w/ Moda black. My personal favorite is Kona.

In the CCC swap, we will be using a lighter 'blender' neutral but not muslin (and not white).

Anne - for the Asian style blocks we're using a solid black - no particular brand. I will post for the Asian D4P May 1st. Hope you decide to jump in!

QLG - what questions do have about the CCC swap? Let me know how I can help!

You gals are awesome!!!

Jane
    Jane

Blog Entries
    Jane for the CCC, I need to ditch the white then? Not understanding what a lighter blender neutral is.....I need some assistance on that one so I can sew. Could you send my old eyes a pic please?? or two

Thank you Janice for answering back. I would have used a high quality muslin in the CCC blocks. I really like muslin if it is a high quality type. Anyway....this is how I understand the CCC block....Make a four patch of a brown and the neutral only and one of the pink and neutral only and cut as usual. Sew back together again with the SAME color little squares. Is that right?

I got your name wrong...this is not a good day. A very dear friend of mine, we were roommates in nursing school, attended each other when we gave birth ( 7 times between us) is critically ill. It would be a miracle if she lived...she has a massive brain bleed. So I am very distracted, the world will not benefit if she dies. Anyway, I was looking at neutrals and they are showing those that have a tannish hue and those with a gray hue and I am supposing that we are choosing the tan one. Am I correct?

Blog Entries
    QLG I am so sorry, she must be like a sister to you. I know there is always a reason for everything, just wish it was easier to figure out why or what good can come of it. You truly will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Jane, I thought we we're support to use the shirting fabrics with the civil war blocks?
    PMarch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by letsquilt View Post
    Jane, I thought we we're support to use the shirting fabrics with the civil war blocks?
    You are letsquilt, I am asking about the pink and brown or chocolate covered cherries (CCC) as they have been nick named. Didn't mean to confuse you, I just do them ahead when I have time and am caught up on my other sewing.

Jaba thanks for those prayers, they are welcome. My friend is now in a coma and there is no treatment. Her family just wants her to feel their love as she passes. I know dying is a part of living and natural but she is a very dear friend to me. And I feel concern for her family. She has a grandson who is a young man now who has angelman's syndrome and i don't know how much he will understand. I appreciate your interest.

Sorry gals. I haven't checked in with this thread lately. Apologies. For the CW D4P, please use a light shirting type fabric.

For the Chocolate Covered Cherries (CCC), which will be in June, please use a light ecru, off white, ivory or light tan.

Jane

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast