Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: August 2013 Secret Pal Swap Closes July 31st 4pm

Quote Originally Posted by SewsonSaturday View Post
    Sorry secret pal!!!!!! I ended up in the hospital. I was bitten by a spider then had a reaction to the meds they were giving me. My pals package is all put together ready to go but I'm on strickt bed rest for the next 2 weeks. My boyfriend is going to mail my package on wensday morning. Ive given him instructions to eithor express mail or over night it. So hopefully he listens and you'll get it with in the week.
    I hope you are feeling better!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    I found a tape measure at Big Lots for $3.99 a couple of months ago. I think it is only 12', but would make several of the bags you are discussing. Also, if you have a Harbour Freight nearby, they sometimes have them for as little as $1.99.
    Whoa! I have a Big Lots and a Harbour Freight pretty close. What about you Wonnie? Let me kow if you don't. I'll check them out for us.

Blog Entries
    I havent recieved my secret pal package yet...boohooo I guess I am impatient. Its too hot to sit outside waiting for the mailman..so around the time he is supposed to come..I look out the window a million times and every day mailman says..nothing today..maybe tomorrow..
    There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...Getting back up is LIVING...

Blog Entries
    I'm waiting patiently for my secret pal package. Maybe tomorrow.
    There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...Getting back up is LIVING...

Blog Entries
    Wow great packages! I love looking at the pictures so I can get an idea of what I can send to my next sp. I need to download the picture and post it of what I got from my sp this month, JuanitaBean. Will try to do it tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    My package was mailed a couple of days ago. I have sent to this pal before and it was very quick shipping, so I am hoping that will be the case this time. In my rush to get it in the mail, after "extra tape" due to the distance it has to travel, and printing postage, then one of my drivers agreed to drop it at the PO for me, and after he left, I found the letter I had written to put in the package. CRAP!!! I cannot tell you how many times I have done this!! When you receive, I will PM the note to you. I hope you like what I sent, I could not find the item I wanted to get you. Even looked at the Quilt Festival in Grand Rapids. Went there with 5 friends for 3 days. We had a ball.
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Blog Entries
    Oh Buslady that sounds like so much fun. I am going to Shipshewana tomorrow with 2 friends for the day. Wish we were staying over but it will be a lot of fun and laughter for sure. I love a "ladies day out"!!! No package here yet..Oh well..fun to wait.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    Fayser and Belfrybat......thanks for info on metal tape measure. Had to do a little research before I responded.
    Our Harbor Freight does have the metal tape measure starting in the $2 -$3 range but only in the 1" size. After rechecking the pattern it calls for 3/4" tape...bummer! Rechecked Home Depot but this time I searched for ,
    "3/4" metal tape measure" and came up with several but more in the price range of yesterday's post. But the pattern looks so easy (famous last words!) that I think it would be a great item for swaps and Christmas presents so it may be worth the price considering I probably have plenty of fabric left in my stash!! What say you?

I went and checked my tape measures and they are all 1" as well. Amazon has them for $5.-7.00 if you have Prime. If not, this one is free shipping with no extra purchase needed: http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Retracta...ing+tape+3%2F4
    It is metric, but that won't matter for your purposes, and you'd have enough to make five or six purses.
    I'd forgotten E-Bay. Here's one for about 5.00 with postage and it is mailed from the States, not China: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-1...item19d1d196ef
    And this one would be $4.50: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMC-S166CHRO...item5d39d3b21b
    Last edited by Belfrybat; 08-21-2013 at 07:55 AM.

tmw
    you can the tape measures at the dollar stores, cheap. if you don't find the right width, just measure and adjust the slide in hem for it to fit.
    Thelma

Hate to sound like an idiot here, but what do you mean by 1" & 3/4" tape measures? Are you referring to WIDTH?
    Teresa
    "I collect wind chimes."

Quote Originally Posted by mscupid804 View Post
    Hate to sound like an idiot here, but what do you mean by 1" & 3/4" tape measures? Are you referring to WIDTH?
    Yes -- the width of the metal tape. The 1" doesn't bend quite as easily as the 3/4", which is why I think that one is used.

Blog Entries
    Ok Wonnie, I'm the one with the dumb question. After you cut the metal tape, how do you keep it from retracting back into the holder? Guess I could cut a bunch at one time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
    Fayser and Belfrybat......thanks for info on metal tape measure. Had to do a little research before I responded.
    Our Harbor Freight does have the metal tape measure starting in the $2 -$3 range but only in the 1" size. After rechecking the pattern it calls for 3/4" tape...bummer! Rechecked Home Depot but this time I searched for ,
    "3/4" metal tape measure" and came up with several but more in the price range of yesterday's post. But the pattern looks so easy (famous last words!) that I think it would be a great item for swaps and Christmas presents so it may be worth the price considering I probably have plenty of fabric left in my stash!! What say you?
    I think you could use the 1" tape measure with a minor adjustment to the pattern. Just make the sleeve a little wider. Also, check with local builders or ask at the hardware, maybe someone has a broken one they would give you. If you pM me your address, I will send you a piece of mine, I'll never use it all. That would give you time to look!!
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Yes -- the width of the metal tape. The 1" doesn't bend quite as easily as the 3/4", which is why I think that one is used.
    OK, thx for that explanation, now what on earth are you ladies wanting to use it for?
    Teresa
    "I collect wind chimes."

Blog Entries
    Great suggestion TMW!.....and thanks for the research Belfrybat. As soon as I get two cube footstools recovered, the borders put on my Round Row Robin quilt that I just got back, finish marking and quilting the border on my granddaughters quilt and make the center for my new Round Robin I'll make several but I'll check out these sites and get one now just to be ready.

Blog Entries
    Gosh Fayser, I was waiting to hear how you did it !!! My guess, and this is STRICTLY a guess, would be to leave it extended by maybe 2 or 3" and wrap duck tape around it and secure the tape then to the plastic housing ..............whoa...wait a minute....there's a lock on it I believe....like when you pull it out you lock it in position so you can work with it. Why couldn't you pull out just maybe 3" more than you need, cut off what you need and lock it in position so you could just continue to pull it out the next time by pulling on the 3" you left extended? Ask your husband if I'm in the ballpark in my thinking. You could duck tape the lock maybe so it wouldn't accidentally move.
    What do the rest of you think?????

Blog Entries
    Mscupid 804...adorable avatar!!!! The patterns are called, "Sew Happy !" and "Sew Happy II". They require no snaps, buttons, velcro, magnetic clips, etc. to close. You simply insert the specified length of a 3/4" steel retractable tape measure into the top casings and the purse just "snaps" closed. Ingenious! One of those, "Now, why didn't I think of that?" moments.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Buslady for the suggestion. Yes, I can see where that would work but the smaller pattern has one purse that is just 5" x 4 1/4" so I think it would cut down on the inside usable area although probably not enough to make a difference. Will keep you in mind and thank you so much for the kind offer.

Blog Entries
    I used the left over slats from my mini-blinds...worked like a charm!!!!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
    Mscupid 804...adorable avatar!!!! The patterns are called, "Sew Happy !" and "Sew Happy II". They require no snaps, buttons, velcro, magnetic clips, etc. to close. You simply insert the specified length of a 3/4" steel retractable tape measure into the top casings and the purse just "snaps" closed. Ingenious! One of those, "Now, why didn't I think of that?" moments.
    TY Wonnie....the avatar is my newly born grandson (1st grand child), and ty for the explanation as well!
    Teresa
    "I collect wind chimes."

Power Poster
    Mscupid congrats on your grandson, just so special aren't they.

Blog Entries
    I have pictures of Gail ( Sweetwaterquilter's) SP package.. You will not believe this but Gail is my best friend and we live less then 20 minutes apart... We went to a meeting today and when we got back my husband had put her box right where she sits, so she had to read the note I had put on top.... She was overwhelmed so will post pictures and am sure she will be on here later....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rosemary

Hearing happens when the ears and the brain team up, but listening happens with the ears of the heart.

I collect Angels and homemade ornaments

Blog Entries
    Love the purse.............very nice SP package!

I can't believe Ladybug pulled this off. What a wonderful surprise! I even picked out some of the fabric in my beautiful purse I was with her when she got some of the items. You all can see what a wonderful package it was. She's not real good at keeping secrets so everybody knew but me. She is the BEST!!!!!!!! I know you knew too Mary.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast