Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: AUGUST - Scrappy Block Swap SCRAPPY TRIPS

Sheri - Missouri Star has a video demonstrating the technique and Jenny uses 4 2 1/2" strips. I don't know the size of the finished block in that demo. I think 9 1/2" unfinished but not sure. There are many other variables/decisions/choices to be made which is why I'd like some input from the group.

Jane
    Jane

Here are some of my block. Hope this is what they are supposed to look like. Having fun and getting to use a lot of my 2 1/2" strip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Juanita Bean, they look great.

Fabulous!!! Yes, that's exactly what they're supposed to look like. So long as they measure up 12 1/2" unfinished, you're golden.

Jane
    Jane

JB- great blocks!!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Yes they are 12 1/2" going to try to get more done.

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    Sewed on these today, I have 1 more set to go to make 6 sets of 4. Jane I tried to find the link for Sept. but couldn't find what you were talking about or some pics to show. Do you have a link I can go to??? Would appreciate it when you have the time.

Not sure if I will get to join you or not since I will be out of pocket a good deal the next few weeks. However in case I do get to do this, I want to be sure that it would be ok for each block in a set to be different fabrics from the others in the set. I think that's what you indicated, but I wanted to verify.
    This looks like a lot of fun and a great way to use up those bits and pieces that are left over.

Mom 6 - yes, each block is different. Hope you decide to jump in!

Jaba - I haven't 'officially' started the September swap. Was just discussing different options, etc. To see the block though, please Google 'Three Dudes quilt block' and you'll find loads of pictures and a Youtube video from Missouri Star demo-ing the block. I'm still working out several details but that will give you a good idea. It's really a cool block.

Here's our update. We have new swappers joining in so please make them feel welcome!

1. SheriR
    2. Purplecat 6 sets
    3. Janice McC 4 (maybe more) sets

4. Juanita Bean 6 sets
    5. Grannyrosie 6 sets
    6. Jaba 6? Sets
    7. Mariposa
    8. Havplenty - ? sets

9. Quiltlovergrandma 6 sets
    10. Glasqlts 4 sets
    11. Kaitlinedowns 1 set

Jane
    Jane

Blog Entries
    Found it, now I remember watching the video when she 1st showed it. I think it would look really nice with the blocks made in the same color family shades. Have 1 block ready to sew the strips together, then 3 more to go and I'll have 6 sets for the August scrappy. They will be coming your way soon...

I saw that video a while back too and those blocks are terrific and on my short list to make. Good heavens, I think I'm going to be very busy piecing for a couple of months now!

Quote Originally Posted by jaba View Post
    Found it, now I remember watching the video when she 1st showed it. I think it would look really nice with the blocks made in the same color family shades. Have 1 block ready to sew the strips together, then 3 more to go and I'll have 6 sets for the August scrappy. They will be coming your way soon...

Wish I could join in the fun, but I'm leaving for the Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival and won't have time to get them done before I leave and most likely wont be back until the end of September. The camper I'm going to be staying in is quite small so I'm only taking my crocheting. Y'all have fun!

Blog Entries
    Finished my other set yesterday, have them all labeled and ready to send. They'll be in the mail today or Monday.
    I played with the "3 dudes" too. My strips came out at 8 1/2". Then I put the 2 blocks together, cut them (X) and sewed, the block measured 11" x 11". This is the start of a fall table runner Name:  DSCF2276.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  118.9 KB

Jaba - that's terrific. I've been playing with mock up blocks trying to find the right size for the swap. So if 4 2 1/2" strips yield an 11" unfinished block, using 5 2 1/2" strips should give us a 12 1/2" unfinished block but I'm not positive. Anyone - - - please feel free to experiment and report back. I'll be doing the same.

Question: what size block do we want for the Three Dudes block? I'm certainly open to suggestions so please speak up.

Jane
    Jane

Here is a baby quilt I made with the Three Dudes block. I like it enough but honestly if I were swapping scrappy blocks I'd just want the small single unit, the one you get when you cut the strip block into diagonals.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Blog Entries
    Jane playing more today so FYI only:
    5- 2 1/2" strips when all done gets you a 13 1/2" block
    5- 2 1/4" strips " " 12" block
    5- 2 3/8" strips tada 12 1/2" block
    Here's my examples Name:  DSCF2277.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  116.7 KB5 colors
    This is light and dark batiks with white, the unsewn 1 is the pattern just by opening up the squares. The sewn 1 , I turned 2 of the blocks, all of these measure 12 1/2"Name:  DSCF2279.JPG
Views: 133
Size:  114.5 KBName:  DSCF2278.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  111.4 KBThe advantage of this block cut at 2 3/8" strips is you get 4 pieces or 2 blocks when complete from your WOF strips with only about 3" left. Not much "wasted" fabric. Just giving you some examples of what my adventure today turned out to be.
    Needless to say I didn't mail the scrappy blocks but will on Monday.

I just love my R & D department. So productive and helpful. Thanks, Jaba.

SheriR - that's an interesting idea. Hadn't thought of that! What does everyone think?? Swapping the units after the diagonal cuts? We would, of course have to decide on a size, color, etc. but please share your thoughts.

Jane
    Jane

Blog Entries
    Don't know about productive and helpful just was in the mood to play. I was dreaming about what size would fit, finally got up about 3a.m. and started cutting strips. I sure slept good last night Stupid things us quilter's do huh??

But ah so helpful!

I've been observing from the side lines, this month. I just wanted to let you know I like all of the blocks everyone has created. Very pretty. This was a block I have been wanting to start in the near future. Maybe in a few months, after I get a few other swap completed I will start working on this project. Anyway have fun and happy sewing.

Blog Entries
    My practice blocks did not go to waste...made 2 runners and 1 table mat today. Got them quilted and the binding is sewn on, just need to do the hand sewing now. I'm ready for autumn or to send to my secret pal next month. All in all, a very good day!

hadn't been on in a few days. I like the 3D's block. Yes, I'm tired of blacks. I like the white Jaba did, and I agree with Sherri, single units. However, I was thinking of a gray solid or cream solid. Just a thought. It really doesn't bother me as long as it's not black. As far as size, whatever ya'll feel is a comfortable size.

Here's what I'm thinking but not final as I want input/feedback. How about if we do Batiks alternating with a white?

Here's one I made for a Boom swap and, although it happens to be in black, it's shows what I'm talking about:

Name:  boom 13 sunrise450.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  148.0 KB

We would be making ours with, say white strips. Or maybe the alternate strips could be a watercolor Batik strip, i.e., Hoffman 1895's. Lots of fabric manufacturers make something like that; a 'blender' Batik. That way, we could use a Batik print with a Batik blender in a color that would compliment/coordinate with it to make the block. Hope that makes sense. ((it makes sense in my head but I'm only on my first cup of coffee)).

Let me know!!

Jane
    Jane

Blog Entries
    It would be beautiful to use blender batiks but we'd have to order a blender for each batik set that we made, unless you already have them. Wouldn't it be harder to put a quilt together with all those colors? If you went with just white or cream or gray you would have 1 color pulling the whole quilt together. That could be a regular cotton or batik blender as long as we knew which one to use. I guess that would be more of a controlled scrappy huh?

I agree with Jaba, I have been ordering Batiks when I see on sale, cause one day I want a just Batik quilt. I don't think I have a Batik blender for my Darker Batiks. I really don't want white, sorry, or black. But I like the light grey or cream idea, which would blend with all I would think. IMHO only, since you asked.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast