Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Birthday Swap 2018/2019 New

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IceLeopard View Post
    I've heard that said, Jane, that if it's still ugly you just haven't cut it up small enough yet. However. . . I just turned up the World's Ugliest Fabric, hiding in one of my boxes. The only way this fabric would not be ugly is if you ran it through the crosscut paper shredder! Only the gods know where it came from, since I *know* I didn't buy it. Grab bag, maybe.

But it's a Hoffman print, so I cut all of it into squares and trashed the bits. I plan to roll the dice for each swapper to see if she escapes being a recipient!
    Now that is funny! I hope I get a hoffman sample.....

Are the notifications by PM or email? I've looked, but don't see it mentioned.
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    Both quilts and husbands help keep you warm,
    but quilts never grumble when you buy more fabric.

I love those fabrics. Hope I am a recipient.

I've heard that said, Jane, that if it's still ugly you just haven't cut it up small enough yet. However. . . I just turned up the World's Ugliest Fabric, hiding in one of my boxes. The only way this fabric would not be ugly is if you ran it through the crosscut paper shredder! Only the gods know where it came from, since I *know* I didn't buy it. Grab bag, maybe.

But it's a Hoffman print, so I cut all of it into squares and trashed the bits. I plan to roll the dice for each swapper to see if she escapes being a recipient!
    Choose to focus your time, energy and conversation around people who inspire you, support you and help you to grow you into your happiest, strongest, wisest self.~Karen Salmansohn

HI I am Trish(Patricia) and this is my 4th year in this swap. I am 74 and a life long sewer. I made my first quilt for my youngest daughters birth. Mostly I made clothing, toys, crafts of many kinds till 1976 when I took up quilting again. I have three daughters, 3 grandsons, 2 greatgrandsons and I am a widow. For the last 9 years my younger brother has shared my home and kept me company. The girls all live nearby and we have lots of fun together.
    I was a square dancer for over 22 years and then the knees gave out. Now I belong to Gone To Pieces Quilt Guild, I follow a couple of quilt alongs and have fun with all of you. I love bright colors and most of my projects are bright and cheerful. My candie squares are being used for a Round The World quilt which is about half done. I probably have enough squares for three or four quilts. Like every quilt I have ever seen and plan on making many more.

Hi Trish...would love to see a photo of .....Round the world quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by trish b View Post
    HI I am Trish(Patricia) and this is my 4th year in this swap. I am 74 and a life long sewer. I made my first quilt for my youngest daughters birth. Mostly I made clothing, toys, crafts of many kinds till 1976 when I took up quilting again. I have three daughters, 3 grandsons, 2 greatgrandsons and I am a widow. For the last 9 years my younger brother has shared my home and kept me company. The girls all live nearby and we have lots of fun together.
    I was a square dancer for over 22 years and then the knees gave out. Now I belong to Gone To Pieces Quilt Guild, I follow a couple of quilt alongs and have fun with all of you. I love bright colors and most of my projects are bright and cheerful. My candie squares are being used for a Round The World quilt which is about half done. I probably have enough squares for three or four quilts. Like every quilt I have ever seen and plan on making many more.
    "Queen B" of the "2017/18 2.5" Birthday Swap

Hi Trish. I would love to see the photo, also, of your scrappy Around the World quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
    rates went up about 4% on jan 21, 2018. So our birthday cards, flat, and not rigid, with candies evenly spread, is now 71 cents, (up from 70 cents) . Happy Birthday Ladies!
    I don't care how much the rates are. It's still a small price to pay for a year of fun and for the huge number of scrappy squares we get to collect for that price.

Do you have a lovely stash of candy? Check out the new Mystery Quilt #18 by paintmejudy. Instructions start today and feature lots of 2.5" squares!!
    Dotty in NYC

I am busy cutting my 2.5 candies for this swap and I was wondering, What is the size of the postage stamp block? I always like to cut and sort my scraps into blocks.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

Lstew, I've seen PSQs in 1.5, 2 & 2.5". I've finished a flimsy 2" (1.5" finished):
    Name:  DSCF1598.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  264.0 KB

Now, I'm collecting 1.5" squares for a 1" finished color wash PSQ.
    hugs,
    dj
    “Art is never finished, only abandoned.”
    ― Leonardo_da_Vinci

I like your quilt DJ

Quote Originally Posted by aborning View Post
    I don't care how much the rates are. It's still a small price to pay for a year of fun and for the huge number of scrappy squares we get to collect for that price.
    Halp ! I haven't seen anywhere *how* to package/mail My candies! Is there a specific way to indicate who they're from? Should they be in a plastic bag inside the envelope? Plain manila envelope? Bubble padded? Tyvek? I want to get the first few ready to go!
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    Both quilts and husbands help keep you warm,
    but quilts never grumble when you buy more fabric.

Blog Entries
    dear Ice, I sent you a PM on this. Let me know if you need more info. Jane

Quote Originally Posted by djmat View Post
    Lstew, I've seen PSQs in 1.5, 2 & 2.5". I've finished a flimsy 2" (1.5" finished):
    Name:  DSCF1598.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  264.0 KB

Now, I'm collecting 1.5" squares for a 1" finished color wash PSQ.
    hugs,
    dj

Beautiful quilt. I would love to make a quilt like this one day. I think I am going to cut the left overs into 2 inch squares and discard the rest of the scraps.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
    dear Ice, I sent you a PM on this. Let me know if you need more info. Jane
    I am new to the swap also can I get a PM also.

Halp ! I haven't seen anywhere *how* to package/mail My candies! Is there a specific way to indicate who they're from? Should they be in a plastic bag inside the envelope? Plain manila envelope? Bubble padded? Tyvek? I want to get the first few ready to go!
    I go to the dollar tree and purchase the .50 birthday cards. I then lay my candies in plastic wrap on top of the open card to one side, making sure they fit the card so I put the card in the envelope.
    Name:  IMG_1193 (2).jpg
Views: 206
Size:  80.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_1194 (2).jpg
Views: 204
Size:  88.9 KB
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.

Quote Originally Posted by Lstew2212 View Post
    I go to the dollar tree and purchase the .50 birthday cards. I then lay my candies in plastic wrap on top of the open card to one side, making sure they fit the card so I put the card in the envelope.
    Name:  IMG_1193 (2).jpg
Views: 206
Size:  80.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_1194 (2).jpg
Views: 204
Size:  88.9 KB
    LStew would it be ok to use snack or sandwich size baggies or do we have to use the plastic wrap. Do we need to put our name on the bags?

Quote Originally Posted by Armylady2012 View Post
    LStew would it be ok to use snack or sandwich size baggies or do we have to use the plastic wrap. Do we need to put our name on the bags?
    This is just how I have done my squares in the past. I've had squares mailed to me many different ways. Do what works best for you. I have had them mailed to me in sandwich bags and snack bags. I have always listed me name and board name on the package and on the card I send.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.

I buy 6" x 9" envelopes from an office supply store or Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use cheap manilla file folders as a base and cut them with my rotary cutter to 5.5" x 8.5" to fit inside the envelopes. I can get three of this size per manilla folder. I stack the candies evenly on the base. I get four stacks with eight per stack and two stacks with nine per stack to equal 50 candies. I cover the candies with plastic wrap and put them in the envelope with a greeting.

Doing it this way guarantees that it weighs less than two ounces. If it weighs a fraction over two ounces, the postage would cost more. If in doubt, doublecheck the weight with a digital kitchen scale. Stacking the candies too high could also make the postage cost more.

The envelope needs to have your "Board" name on the outside as well as your name and return address. Most people wait until their birthday to open the envelopes. If you only put your "Board" name inside the envelope, they wouldn't know who sent it unless they opened it.

I put my "Board" name on the front in the top left corner, but I put my return address on the back. Some people take pictures of the envelopes, and I don't want my name and address posted here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great tutorial on packing your candies ladies. Thanks to Jenn and Lstew.

All I can say is make it as thin as possible. This is where the post office can get you. So I make sure that all the air is out of the plastic wrap before I close the envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by barbarakibler23 View Post
    All I can say is make it as thin as possible. This is where the post office can get you. So I make sure that all the air is out of the plastic wrap before I close the envelope.
    I make sure that there is no extra air trapped inside of my packages by sticking a pin in the plastic wrap (or baggie) after I have placed it in the envelope. I can easily press all of the air out then.

I'm doing my packaging a little different this year, I'm using business envelopes, and instead of a birthday card, I'm printing a pattern with birthday greetings on an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper, and folding it around the stacked candies. Less than 2 oz, AND less than the 1/4" inch thickness that the post office requires for it to go through the machine at the 2 oz rate. I also had a good time embellishing the envelopes.....!
    Outside of a book, a dog is a man's best friend.
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read -- Groucho Marx

Love the ideas for packaging the candies ladies! Thanks for sharing!
    Collector of thimbles, owls and embroidery items.

I make up all my envelopes at once and stack them with a weight on top to press out the air. They stay that way until I need to mail them. Keeps them pretty flat.

Now that is smart Jenn.....

Quote Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
    I make sure that there is no extra air trapped inside of my packages by sticking a pin in the plastic wrap (or baggie) after I have placed it in the envelope. I can easily press all of the air out then.
    MizMelly..... Sounds like you have a good plan.

Oldcatlady.....I also make up my envelopes at one time......but the weights are a good idea!
    Last edited by barbarakibler23; 02-04-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 53 ... LastLast