Birthday Swap 2020/2021

Old 03-05-2020, 04:18 PM

WMUTeach - since we're the sellers there is not near as much to sign with this closing. We closed on our new house back in December and that was a lot to sign!

Oops, I forgot about that, Macybaby. When I closed on my house, we did both the closing and the purchase on two homes in one meeting. Lots of signatures. My move was about two years before retirement and with the sale, purchase and a good deal, I walked away with the new home paid for and a check to deposit in my retirement savings. A wonderful free and expansive feeling all the way around. .
Old 03-05-2020, 08:37 PM

NZquilter, I put your package of candy in the mail today. So watch for it next week. I'm sure it will take a few business days to arrive.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:33 AM

I got all my candies packed up and ready to send off as the birthdays come up.

Yesterday DH and I got to meet the buyers and go over some of the things in the house and on the property. We really like them and they have a lot of ideas of what they'd like to do in the future. DH is going back on Saturday to go over more of the equipment that they are getting with the purchase.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:30 PM

Hello everyone hope everyone is doing well. I am just coming up for air! Working at a tax accounting firm and yep we are really busy already!

I work everyday except for Wednesday (my moms day) and Sunday.

Sunday here in Michigan is suppose to be up to 58 degrees!!!

Hope ever stays healthy and away from the coronavirus. They (media and the government) are making it sound very scary. I hope this will soon be over but I am afraid this is just the beginning.

take care all,

Barb
Old 03-07-2020, 06:55 AM

Hello from sunny Arizona. I would like to introduce myself, and am asking everyone to do the same. My avatar is my home on wheels. Since 2003 DH and I have been living in it almost full time and traveling around the country. We do own a small place in Prescott AZ where we are now, caregiving my 92 yo mother.
I am self taught quilter - started when we became full time RVers . I love scrappy quilts and because of multiple concussions do not follow patterns very well - so putting together these candies is my therapy. We have a rescue 13 yo goldendoodle. I have two children, and 6 grandchildren ages 5 to15 who we either travel to see, or bring them on the road with us. We love having them travel and learn about our country for a few weeks a year.
So ladies and gentleman - whats your story?
Old 03-07-2020, 10:02 AM

I am Crispy_Frog. My screen name comes from the breakfast cereal. I think it was called Crispy Treats. It had a frog on the box. I live in Garland, Tx. I got here by way of corporate moves from my home town Detroit, Mi, to Minneapolis, to San Diego to Dallas. I started quilting 12 years ago when I took a little quilt sampler class. I am still at a beginner level. I am better at shopping for and hoarding fabric than anything else. Have been a member of this swap now for 3 or 4 years. I love my candies and will make a quilt with them someday!
Old 03-07-2020, 05:08 PM

Hello everyone. I am hav4boys, AKA Kathy McCloud. I had four sons the majority of my parenting life but was blessed three years ago to add a daughter by choice when I married her dad. Our kids are 28, 27, 24, 22, and 20. The girl is the youngest. I have two grandsons, Hyde was three February 4 and Hendrix was one March 1. They are the light of my life.

I had surgery in January because my spinal chord was being compressed. Ended up having a pulmonary embolism and am still recovering. I have numb fingers that makes things tough.

I love participating in the swap. I work full time at the California Department of Finance. I am responsible for the CHP's statewide budget. I love what I do but look forward to August 1, 2025. I will be retiring that day.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:38 PM

Well all, I am WMUTeach. I chose the name because that is what I did/do. I am retired faculty at Western Michigan University in Family Science. I continue to teach a class or two per semester as needed.I love teaching about children to those who want to work with children and families.

I have been at a sewing machine since I was about 7 and made primarily garments for myself, prom dress to maturity clothes and then dressed my girls on the cheap by making their clothing until they entered their teens. Life happened and I became a single parent of three and I returned to college and began to teach preschool. To make ends meet, I worked part-time at home for a company making futons. They have unbelievably long zippers and I wore out a machine but paid for lots of music lessons, athletic shoes and marching band trips.

In 2000 my sister-in-law, a master quilter, died and I took her whole sewing room: fabric, tools, books, machine and UFO's. I took on her mantle of quilting and have moved from beginner to intermediate and love scrappy! Still using her fabric, what a stash, and finished her last UFO just about 6 weeks ago. I make quilts for my family, donation and for those the good Lord says needs the comfort of a quilt. I have been with the Birthday Swap since, creation I think. I found a photo, posted below, that was made with birthday treats. They would have come from the 2013 swap. I think it is time to use the pattern again!

Attached Thumbnails 2014-birthday-swap-quilt-resized.jpg  
Old 03-07-2020, 07:00 PM

WMUTeach - that is a great quilt!

I began quilting about 7 years ago, though spent about half of that only making quilts for my dogs before I felt like I could make anything human-worthy. I work full time in health care (more than full time it feels like...), so my time available for quilting is rather minimal and my skill progression has been slow as a result. I enjoy it when I do get the time and am very lucky to have a husband that supports me hiding away in my quilt room at times and going to quilt retreats, etc (He even hand built me my sewing/cutting table!). I have recently started exploring more modern-esque styles of quilting. I think I am drawn to that simply because I am not good about following rules and since I am self taught, I never really learned the rules anyway. so it all works out!

After putting together all the birthday packs, I have gone a little overboard in cutting additional squares for my collection, so I will have quite a selection once August rolls around! Looking forward to it.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:28 AM

WMUTeach- Love that quilt! What is the pattern called?

By the way, correction, My screen name comes from Kellog's Honey Smack's cereal.
And, Keep these bios coming!