Birthday Swap 2020/2021

Old 03-31-2020, 01:27 PM

Hubby bought Big Boy bean chairs last summer & held them as my birthday present, his Christmas present from me was 2 outside chairs made out of barrels! So today cutting down the bean bags to fit into the barrel chairs! Life is funny!
Been making face masks for local 1st responders. All my quilting equipment is still in storage in Broken Arrow so it's slow going on the quilt I'm working on, got it sandwiched & basted & using handheld frame, yikes, been a while since using it.
Praying for this world to heal and hoping all of you are well & have all you need. Haven't been anywhere in 3 weeks!
hugs,
dj
Old 04-01-2020, 07:31 AM

So this week I started taking my bright and cheery candies from last year and making four squares which will be made into 16 squares with a simple sashing in between. Hopefully tomorrow I will have it at a better place to take a picture!

Honestly, I have not felt the "urge" to quilt. I finally had my husband help me get a signature quilt put together and ready for quilting for my friends 50th Birthday. I'm just not focused enough to start quilting it -I know I'll make mistakes! That's what got me playing with my candies. I think I just need a little more sunshine to start my mojo engines!
Old 04-01-2020, 04:08 PM

Default Black Diamonds

Here is the finished top that I posted in an unfinished state earlier. I am calling it Black Diamonds. It finished at 60 x 75. Not yet quilted but will go to my LA next week. The small black squares were from the 2019 Birthday Swap plus a few more I cut from my stash to complete the top. I was thrilled to find the light white with black cat print fabric for the outer sashing on hand but even more surprised to discover that it was a 108 wide-back! No need to make extra squares to stretch the back to be wide enough.

Now off to use the rest of my huge stash of 2.5 inch squares. I keep my stash filled with these little fellows by cutting scraps as I use fabric into 2.5's or just strips that are 2.5 wide for future use. My bin runneth over.

Attached Thumbnails black-diamonds-2.jpg  
Old 04-01-2020, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by IrishMom View Post
So this week I started taking my bright and cheery candies from last year and making four squares which will be made into 16 squares with a simple sashing in between. Hopefully tomorrow I will have it at a better place to take a picture!

Honestly, I have not felt the "urge" to quilt. I finally had my husband help me get a signature quilt put together and ready for quilting for my friends 50th Birthday. I'm just not focused enough to start quilting it -I know I'll make mistakes! That's what got me playing with my candies. I think I just need a little more sunshine to start my mojo engines!
Irishmom, we all get the quilting blues from time to time but a "little" project like your four patches can bring inspiration as you put them all to use and see the lovely results. I have a utility quilt that rides around in my car that is all small four patches just strung together. It has been to the beach, to soccer and baseball games, picnics and even a sleigh ride or two. One of my favorites. Just simple and easy. Quilt on, my dear!
Old 04-02-2020, 03:27 AM

I really like that quilt WMUTeach.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:31 AM

WMUTeach, your Black Diamonds turned out beautifully. Wonderful work!
Old 04-08-2020, 04:55 PM

WMUTeach....your quilt really turned out nice. I really like the different color background squares.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:04 PM

Hello everyone

Just checking in....how is everyone doing during this difficult time. In Michigan they say we have not hit our peak yet.... they (don't know who they are) say it will be end of April. I just want to check with everyone. Are you still wanting to continue on with this birthday swap? Do you feel comfortable sharing (mailing) your items and receiving them? Please let me know either here or a PM if you have any concerns. I have noticed that the thread has been very quiet. I have not had any motivation to quilt...and I have all this time!

So in the next message I am going to post what made me happy today... I would love to see everyone just post something that made you happy...it can be just one word, one sentence or one thought. There is a lot of sadness out there but there are many things to make us happy and thankful to be alive!

Old 04-08-2020, 05:11 PM

April 8th.....What made me happy today........................

I am fostering two little dogs during the covid-19 virus. (hopefully I get to adopt them)

Today I filled plastic easter eggs with their kibble and placed them all over the living room. At first them just sniffed them, so I opened one up a little bit. They played with them batting them around like little puppies. they had so much fun. And they were so smart they learned really fast to take the egg off the hard wood floor and put it on the rug and it will not move all around to bite them open. We had so much fun we did the same thing outside in my courtyard ....and yes it was 71 degrees in Michigan today!

Barb

What made you happy today?
Old 04-08-2020, 06:25 PM

Hi Barb and all!
I enjoyed Barb's Easter egg hunt story. It sounds like a delightful time. As far as the question of continuing the swap, I vote- keep those addresses coming! From what I've read, the virus doesn't have any significant staying power on fabric or paper. If in doubt, give it a quick spritz of Lysol when you receive it, or let it sit on a side table for a few days.
Take care of yourselves, my friends!