Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 14 - March, 2 month group >

Boom 14 - March, 2 month group

Boom 14 - March, 2 month group

Old 01-23-2015, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
Libster, I'm a little uncertain about your color request. I know you want WOW for the background but are you also requesting the lighter blue as well or may we do 2 fabric blocks, your f8 and the WOW only?
Janice, I would like WOW for the background and if someone wants to add another fabric to their block, I would love the lighter blue in my fabric. That's just a suggestion though, the maker is free to use what she prefers. I only expect one block from each lady. I'm sorry I've confused you.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:39 PM

Thanks, that's what I thought you meant but I'm glad I asked. I planned to use the blue also but my blues aren't quite right and my LQS didn't have the right color either. :-(
Originally Posted by Libster View Post
Janice, I would like WOW for the background and if someone wants to add another fabric to their block, I would love the lighter blue in my fabric. That's just a suggestion though, the maker is free to use what she prefers. I only expect one block from each lady. I'm sorry I've confused you.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:51 PM

Just WOW would be okay.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:33 PM

This block is for Billi......called Carolyn's Star from Quilter's Cache. I had passed it over often when searching for new patterns....but this time....I thought ....why not? It's complicated, however worth it....and its trimmed to an exact 12 1/2 inch square. I was very happy with the finished block. Hope you like it! I love the block you made for me.

Bee

[ATTACH=CONFIG]507355[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails boomerang-14-block-made-billi.jpg  
Old 01-23-2015, 06:40 PM

Note: Sorry about the color distortion. My Sony digital camera doesn't want to play well with others. Still working on reducing the actual screen size of the photo. I save it 25% of original size in my Microsoft Paint program, but when I copy it over to QB it pops up giant as you see here. I have been successful in reducing the resolution...just won't save the actual size. Will try something else tomorrow.

Thanks,
Bee
Old 01-23-2015, 06:52 PM

Love the block bee! Seen it but never had the nerve to try it! Looks great.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bee Beatty View Post
This block is for Billi......called Carolyn's Star from Quilter's Cache. I had passed it over often when searching for new patterns....but this time....I thought ....why not? It's complicated, however worth it....and its trimmed to an exact 12 1/2 inch square. I was very happy with the finished block. Hope you like it! I love the block you made for me.

Bee

[ATTACH=CONFIG]507355[/ATTACH]
Bee it's beautiful you are much braver than I am.....thank you I am honored to be the one you decided to be brave with to try it.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:37 AM

Bee very pretty block and it showcases Billi's beautiful fabric. Terriamn
Old 01-24-2015, 05:37 AM

Billi post pictures in your facebook account then just copy paste here and it works great. no need to resize. I couldn't get them here any other way!

2 blocks to go! Janices and oh heck one more. pulled fabrics yesterday. yahoo!

that block within a block is wonderful. wow. you were indeed very brave! good for you!
Old 01-24-2015, 08:57 AM

Thanks for all the nice comments on Billi's block. I am especially happy that you like it Billi. Sometimes I start a block thinking its going to be a snap.....and whamo!...it makes me want to run away from the sewing room and go take a walk.

For this one...I was expecting the worst.....so I paid careful attention to the directions...and followed them step-by-step......with exception to the size of the original cut. I have learned something very helpful. Anytime I head into a complicated block with half and quarter square triangles or many small squares and rectangles - I now do two things:

1. I cut the original square of fabric 1/2 inch bigger than required in the pattern instructions. for example 2-7/8" unfinished square becomes 3-3/8". Using the 3-3/8" square, I cut on the diagonal in half and in quarters to make either half or quarter square triangles.

2. I cut the original squares and rectangles required in the pattern instructions 1/8" larger on the left and top side of the square than required in the pattern instructions, for example a 3-1/2" unfinished square would be cut at 3-5/8" x 3-5/8" to finish at 3 inches.

In short, I add 1/2 inch to each cut to make quarter and half square triangles and 1/4 inch to each cut to make squares and rectangles. I press and square-up after each assembly of any two pieces before going on.

Believe me, I am no expert and sometimes if I am really lucky, a complicated block turns out good....like this one. But I want to learn to make the more difficult ones, too. Thanks to all of you who have taught me so much!

Buzzy Bee for sure today