Boom 17 - OPAL

Old 08-10-2016, 02:14 PM

I do so hope everyone has a good time. We're "this close" to really starting!
Originally Posted by Lstew2212 View Post
Yay me, I'm so excited. I think I'm going to love boom's. This is a great group.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:19 PM

My daughter got those nasty chiggers. OMG she was so miserable! They just don't want to go away either, or it so it feels. I feel so sorry for you Janice.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
Summer cold or allergies? No such luck. I have over a dozen chigger bites that are driving me nuts. If you don't know about them or have never experienced them, count your lucky stars! They make mosquito bites seem like a picnic. And for me the itching won't stop for about a week. Horrid itching! The only thing that calms them down is antihistamines which make me sleepy.
if you have a Walgreens, the have an antihistamine called Walfinate. Taken it for more than 20 years & it doesn't make me sleepy like the rest of them do!
Old 08-10-2016, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lstew2212 View Post
Yay me, I'm so excited. I think I'm going to love boom's. This is a great group.
Boom swaps are the best and Boomers are even better then the swap itself.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:34 PM

Summer cold or allergies? No such luck. I have over a dozen chigger bites that are driving me nuts. If you don't know about them or have never experienced them, count your lucky stars! They make mosquito bites seem like a picnic. And for me the itching won't stop for about a week. Horrid itching! The only thing that calms them down is antihistamines which make me sleepy.
Oh man chiggers are evil, sorry.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:36 PM

For those of you northerners not as familiar w/ chiggers, even worse then the insane itch is where they bite. There favorite locations are in elastic bands (tight spots) places you might get arrested for scratching in public!!!!
Old 08-10-2016, 02:49 PM

Oh, Janice! You have my sympathy. In SC, we always called them redbugs. They absolutely LOVE getting into decidedly inconvenient places to bite too. Stay away from pine straw, they love it. I never found anything but time to get rid of them. Heat and humidity are not your friend during that trying time.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:10 PM

I refrained from comments about where I've been bitten. I will continue to do so. Where ARE my antihistamines????
Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
For those of you northerners not as familiar w/ chiggers, even worse then the insane itch is where they bite. There favorite locations are in elastic bands (tight spots) places you might get arrested for scratching in public!!!!
Old 08-10-2016, 03:14 PM

I wonder if they have a gross on hand?
Originally Posted by GramE View Post
if you have a Walgreens, the have an antihistamine called Walfinate. Taken it for more than 20 years & it doesn't make me sleepy like the rest of them do!
Old 08-10-2016, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

Yup... chigger/redbug expert here too. I live in the woods in Mississippi! They burrow into the skin and those tight undie and bra bands give them a head start on getting down in your skin. Once you kill them (with your favorite poison-- alcohol, bleach, whatever...) then you will still itch for about a week while their little dead bodies disintegrate down in your pores. It's much better to wear bug spray when you go outside (YUCK!) than to deal with chiggers for a week after if you don't.

They aren't bad here this year, for some reason. Usually you can't go outside without picking up some. And FORGET sitting on the ground for any reason.

The joys of summertime....