Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 22 - 2 month group - Sooner >

Boom 22 - 2 month group - Sooner

Boom 22 - 2 month group - Sooner

Old 04-11-2019, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

Repeat to join the next row. Then your "center" should be complete, like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]611483[/ATTACH]
You can bind your quilt at this point if you want to, but I think it looks more balanced if you add the same width border all around. To add the border, I used Marti Michell's "encased seam" technique. It's basically the same as putting on sashings, only you need to sew the batting strip onto the backing piece first. Cut the battings 2.5" and sew them on the backing part of the border, but 1/2" away from the joining seam. Then pin the border front and back to the edge of the quilt and sew with a 1/4" seam. When you press it open, the seam will be smooth with no bump and no gap. I do this on two opposite sides, and then the second two opposite sides. Then you have this, all ready to bind:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]611484[/ATTACH]

And here is the back view:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]611485[/ATTACH]

Don't forget to sew on top of the sashings, to hold the batting in place during washings. I like to do curlique lines, but straight lines or any other design is fine too. It doesn't take much. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails img_5016.jpg   img_5017.jpg   img_5018.jpg  
Old 04-11-2019, 02:39 PM

Wow, wow, wow!!! Thank you for the detailed tutorial and photos, Sewbizgirl! I ordered some batting as soon as Janice announced the blocks are ready to be mailed back, so hopefully I can start soon. Looking forward to starting!
Old 04-11-2019, 07:26 PM
Power Poster

You are welcome, NZ... I figured I'd take some pictures since I was in the middle of doing one anyway. Let me know how you like the method. Can't wait to see your quilt! The one I showed was small, but you can use that method for any size quilt. I'm sure you learned some good stuff from Marti Michell, too!

I got to use up a huge pile of batting scraps... Winner!

Hope some people see their blocks.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:14 AM

SBG, this is an excellent tut. I did only one with wide sashings and a wide border but I basically did the same thing as yours. I found it a bit fidgety but that was probably because it was my first one. NZ, this is a fine method and you should definitely give it a try. The pix are a huge help.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:10 AM

And the sooner packages have left the building!
Old 04-12-2019, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

Thank you! Love your new flower icon too.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:42 AM

Default Boom Biz - wrap up

Good morning, Sooners! All shipped packages are supposed to begin arriving today. Woo hoo! Please be sure to count the number in your packages before you start playing with them. Reminder, although you would normally receive the same number of blocks as you sent F8s, due to Joanelizbay's death, that number has been reduced for everyone. Cheesehead, Darcyshannon, Hav4boys, Jaba, Sewbizgirl and Terriamn, you will be receiving 17 as Joan had 2 of each of your F8s. Everyone else will be receiving 18. Obviously, this cannot be helped. In the event that one day your F8s are returned to me, I will mail them back to you but I don't believe this will ever happen. I've received no response to my inquiries. In the next week, I'll be contacting you with regard to the blocks you made for Joan and what we should do with them. In the meantime, please enjoy your new blocks. As always, I welcome constructive criticism of the swap and the blocks privately by pm or email. Please keep any comments about blocks concrete: size, wrong colors used, that kind of thing. This is not an opportunity to rag on a fellow swapper because you don't like the block chosen. You all understand I'm sure.

Thank you for your participation in Boom 22. I hope you enjoyed yourselves and will be happy with the blocks you receive.

Also: Nanakathy55, I still need to hear from you! Please check your pms and emails. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:11 AM

Note: I forgot that NZquilter and NanaKathy55 will receive 12 instead of 13 because they didn’t opt to round up. Oops on my part.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:14 AM

Yahoo my blocks are here. Need to see which print I will need to make a couple more blocks of

Thanks everyone
Old 04-15-2019, 10:39 AM

Yay! Thanks for posting - you’re the first!
Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
Yahoo my blocks are here. Need to see which print I will need to make a couple more blocks of

Thanks everyone