Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 22, 3 month group - Later >

Boom 22, 3 month group - Later

Boom 22, 3 month group - Later

Old 02-18-2019, 05:25 PM

Terri, I’m using a gobig and am just getting ready to try a new block. I’m still doing a tester block first though as I’m pretty new with it still. So you’ve had good luck with coming out to 12 1/2 with the gobig?
Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
Kass love love my block. Yippee.

vikki are you using a hand crank Go. Or the Go big. I gave up using my Go for boom blocks till I bought the Go Big. Previous to the Go Big my blocks were also to small. Good luck
Old 02-18-2019, 05:47 PM

Vikki,

I have the Accuquilt Go Big. It was a surprise to find some of their tips in the instructions. They do work.

One is to feed the fabric through so the lengthwise grain is in the same direction as it goes through the rollers. That's because the lengthwise grain (parallel to he selvedges) stretches less than the cross grain (perpendicular to the selvages). The trip though he rollers puts enough pressure on the fabric to stretch it a bit.

Another trick I've found to improve stability is to line up the lengthwise grain with the metal cutting edges, not the die frame. The closer a cut edge is to the straight grain line, the less problems you'll have with the edges stretching.

I also stitch with the scant 1/4-inch seam the other ladies have described.

None of this is hard, but it takes a while to make it a habit. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2019, 05:50 PM

I had to move my needle from 3.5 to 4.2 to get a scant quarter inch. I watched a craftsy tutorial about precision piecing. They suggested to cut 1/2 inch strips very carefully. Sew them together with a 1/4 inch seam Then your finished strip should measure 1/2". This allowed me to make the adjustment after a few tries. I thought this was a lot of adjustment but it's what my machine needs. Now I have to remember to adjust that setting when I turn the machine on. I wrote in black marker on my machine to remind myself!
Old 02-18-2019, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
Amazing block Kass. AS someone who loves math, I love seeing what you come up with.

Darcy after I put the quilt together I realized I had those peas the wrong way. I decided to keep them that way. The Amish always make sure there is one mistake in their quilts. Something about only God being perfect. I decided that was my Amish mistake. The hundreds of other mistakes in the quilt were for the galloping horse method of quilting I use: It'll never be noticed on a galloping horse and that's the only kind I ride.
I agree. I assumed it was intentional and done for effect. However, it is what made me miss it at first glance because I had to be extra careful to keep the peas all going the same direction in the block. I actually bought the peas for that quilt because they were so little and cute. I hope you will ride your galloping horse a little faster when you are riding by my quilts.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:12 PM

lurking again. All the blocks are gorgeous as always !!
vikkim for what it's worth, I too in my first boom had trouble with the size of my blocks and 1/4 inch seam. Janice and everyone were so helpful, I ultimately resulted in buying a 1/4 inch seam foot for my machine. Did the trick for me.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:28 PM

Love your blocks TG, especially the star.

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
I got two more done today, and then went through stash. I only need the brown. Amazing how many orange, green and purples we have this round. But my neutral and browns are low. Oh well, we all know what that means.
I love making this star - especially with Christmas red and white. I just love how it came out.
PamelaO - My Grandson loves anything camouflage, and I had dark and lighter blue camouflage and tried my hand at this pattern. Hope it will work
Old 02-18-2019, 06:45 PM

Thanks Mjp,
I was finally able to find out how to move my needle settings. I'm still fussing with it but think I'm on the right path. I've really appreciated all of the suggestions and ideas!!
Vikki

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
I had to move my needle from 3.5 to 4.2 to get a scant quarter inch. I watched a craftsy tutorial about precision piecing. They suggested to cut 1/2 inch strips very carefully. Sew them together with a 1/4 inch seam Then your finished strip should measure 1/2". This allowed me to make the adjustment after a few tries. I thought this was a lot of adjustment but it's what my machine needs. Now I have to remember to adjust that setting when I turn the machine on. I wrote in black marker on my machine to remind myself!
Old 02-18-2019, 06:46 PM

Thanks Marietta! Nice to know I'm not the only one
Vikki

Originally Posted by marietta View Post
lurking again. All the blocks are gorgeous as always !!
vikkim for what it's worth, I too in my first boom had trouble with the size of my blocks and 1/4 inch seam. Janice and everyone were so helpful, I ultimately resulted in buying a 1/4 inch seam foot for my machine. Did the trick for me.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:48 PM

Thanks Annie! I appreciate all the support. Well then, PamO got a couple of texts and calls too! Like you said, I will get the habits down and it will all become easier.
Vikki

Originally Posted by AnnieQuilts View Post
Vikki,

I have the Accuquilt Go Big. It was a surprise to find some of their tips in the instructions. They do work.

One is to feed the fabric through so the lengthwise grain is in the same direction as it goes through the rollers. That's because the lengthwise grain (parallel to he selvedges) stretches less than the cross grain (perpendicular to the selvages). The trip though he rollers puts enough pressure on the fabric to stretch it a bit.

Another trick I've found to improve stability is to line up the lengthwise grain with the metal cutting edges, not the die frame. The closer a cut edge is to the straight grain line, the less problems you'll have with the edges stretching.

I also stitch with the scant 1/4-inch seam the other ladies have described.

None of this is hard, but it takes a while to make it a habit. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:04 PM

Ask and ye shall receive. When I was a child one of my favorite things about grocery shopping was to look for fancy produce stickers, when I would find one my Gma would buy that produce so I could have a fancy sticker for the collection (on the refrigerator), so your limes needed a fancy produce sticker.

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
Kass - loving both of your creations. Thinking my produce would look good through the slats of a fence? HMM
You are a true illusionist.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]608697[/ATTACH]

I wasn't sure about the huge difference in color from the very light to the very dark in the limes, I think they are a bit distracting in this block.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0109.jpg