Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 22 Sign-ups open through January 18 >

Boom 22 Sign-ups open through January 18

Boom 22 Sign-ups open through January 18

Old 01-16-2019, 06:59 PM

Jaba - hugs to you. I'm so happy you are back booming again.

MJP - same! My last boom quilt was sadly missing an MJP block. (You know how connected I was to those elf feet!)

Kass - will you send a closeup of the center of your quilt? I'm not sure I understand exactly what you did with the bias binding.

I'm sure looking forward to a long weekend and some quality time with my new machine!
Old 01-16-2019, 07:05 PM

I top stitched it (appliqued) in place.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606886[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by JayneW View Post
Jaba - hugs to you. I'm so happy you are back booming again.

MJP - same! My last boom quilt was sadly missing an MJP block. (You know how connected I was to those elf feet!)

Kass - will you send a closeup of the center of your quilt? I'm not sure I understand exactly what you did with the bias binding.

I'm sure looking forward to a long weekend and some quality time with my new machine!
Attached Thumbnails img_0660.jpg  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

That bias binding looks great! You got the 4 corner curves all symmetrical and perfectly matched. And... I see my block!

Glad the chickens are warm for the winter....
Old 01-17-2019, 05:28 AM

Jaba welcome back. Sorry for all the chemo after effects.

Sewbiz I have a handcrank, bought it years ago on EBay. Also have a FW but have never enjoyed using it. Think I am just to tall, the leaning over kills my back and shoulders.

MJP love your block, I missed not having one of your special blocks
Old 01-17-2019, 05:52 AM

Thank you, JEB.
Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
I will round up Janice.
Thanks, Mona G. And when you get a chance, post a pic of your new fabrics and I’ll add it to the gallery.
Originally Posted by Mona G View Post
Janice, I plan to round up also. I have changed my mind on what I am sending, decided to do another fall colors quilt so will be sending out various fabrics and asking for fall colors to be added.
Macybaby. Wow! Just, wow.
Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Like terriamn said, FW is Featherweight and LA is for my HQ Fusion 24" long arm

So the biggest with the smallest!
Most of these don't work - because they've not been cleaned up and oiled. I'm very confident near all of them could be made to work again with a bit of TLC. I may not have time to do much until I retire, but what is a few more years to a machine that is already near or over 100. At least now they are in a climate controlled environment and not sitting in a damp basement or up in the attic.
Since I was out with my camera, here are a few of my favorites.
This is a later Singer 12 (low arm). It's one of my oldest (1890's) as I don't collect machines much older than that. I have a friend that collects the very early ones, lots of those taht look very different than what we think of as a sewing machine now.
This one is made by White, and is in between the size of a FW and what is referred to as a 3/4 size machine (like Singer 99). Also 1890's era
And an early Singer 24 (chain stitch). Only one I've ever seen with an embossed stitch plate.
MJP, I’m glad you are having fun! Stunning Dresden! re: pics, make sure you shoot them head on, not from an angle. And then use your editing software to crop and shrink. The editing software is key.
Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
I love the sewing machine museum. Not only the machines but the display setup too.

I am having preboom fun. I hope y’all have as much fun with the fabric as I’m having.

I forgot how how hard it is to get square photos.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606878[/ATTACH]
Jaba, I replied...twice! lol.
Originally Posted by jaba View Post
Janice, I will round up also. I can send in 18 fabric pieces, long story I miss cut apparently my last piece, it ended up being 9 3/4” x 22”. Can’t even stretch it enough.
I have been lurking and reading posts everyday so I have checked in sort of.....still going through a lot of side effects from chemo and radiation and new ones too. Seems everyday is a “wonder what will happen today” kind of day. Each day is new so I’m just trying to think positive and do one day at a time. Sending you a pm for your opinion on something
Old 01-17-2019, 05:59 AM

I've got my fabric cut and ready to label and send. I have almost a full bolt, but it wasn't wide enough after cutting off the selvages so I cut WOF 11" and then cut that in half so I have about 11x19 chunks. I've run into so much fabric now that you don't get a full 40" of usable WOF. And too many older patterns that expect you'll have 42" usable fabric.

One recent quilt along, one of the directions called for cutting 10 strips at 2.5" wide, and a later step called for subcutting them at 10.5". This assumed you'd get 4 cut per WOF, and I could only get three. So I needed to either cut 3 more WOF and have 13 9" strips left, or piece the short strips.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:44 AM

Default Sign-ups close Friday night! Rounding info. Group names???

Sign-ups close tomorrow night 11:59pm EST. Is there anyone out there still deciding on the 2 month group? (The 3 month group is full with one waiting.) If so, is there anything I can say or do to convince you to join us? If you are concerned about the shorter length of time, remember you may make only one block per other member, or you may round up to 19. Today, with 12 confirmed members, those not rounding up to 19 will be making 11 blocks, one for every other group member. With each person who joins, that number will go up one. That's not a lot of blocks to make in 2 months. Think about it! We'd love for you to come join us and give the Booms a try.

In the meantime...

2 month group: 12 confirmed

Cheesehead
Darcyshannon
Hav4boys
Jaba
Joanelizbay
Libster
Macybaby

Mona G
NanaKathy55
Sewbizgirl
Terriamn

Zozee

Right now, there are 9 who will definitely round-up. I've highlighted those people's names. You will be sending me 19 F8s. Based on today's count, the remaining 3 will send me 11 F8s unless you decide to round up in which case, you will also send me 19 F8s. Did I miss anyone? If anyone else joins, the number for non-rounders will go up one with each new person. Final tally on this won't come until groups settle out over the weekend.

And by the way, I'm flat out of names for groups. Any suggestions???

Last edited by Janice McC; 01-17-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:03 AM

Janice, go ahead and move me to the 2 month group and I will round up. Let the person waiting go to the 3 month group.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:58 AM

QBJ, that’s kind of you. Thank you! I’ve emailed Darcyshannon to make sure she still wants the spot. As soon as I hear back, I’ll make the change “official”.
Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej View Post
Janice, go ahead and move me to the 2 month group and I will round up. Let the person waiting go to the 3 month group.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:07 AM

Well if you are flat out of names how about flat and fluffy. VBG