Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Boom 22 Sign-ups open through January 18

First Group posting - subject to change

2 month group: 8 confirmed
    Cheesehead
    Jaba
    Joanelizbay
    Libster
    Mona G
    NanaKathy55
    Sewbizgirl
    Terriamn

Darcyshannon* awaiting email

3 month group: 20 confirmed
    AnnieQuilts
    Bibliostone
    Cheesehead
    Hav4boys
    Jaba
    Janice McC
    JayneW
    Kassaundra
    Klaws
    Libster
    Lstew2212
    Marcialee
    MJPEncinitas
    NanaKathy55
    PamelaOry
    Queenbarbiej
    Terriamn
    TheMerkleFamily
    Travelinggramma
    VikkiM

Those of you who have posted and are interested in joining, please send your emails as you are not "official" until you do and I reply. Everyone is added in the order in which emails come in.

As always, if anyone spots a mistake, such as me inadvertently adding you to the wrong group, please let me know asap so I can correct it. Thanks!
    Gallery: Boomerangswaps.weebly.com

People may not remember what you looked like or what you said but they will always remember how you made them feel! ~Joanelizbay

Just sent email. Looking forward to this.

Wooo hooo look at that Janice is joining in on the fun this time around!
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Quick newbie questions..

Is it helpful to send a complimentary second fabric if I wish to have multiple fabrics per block? And if so, what size should the second fabric cut be to allow for plenty of creative freedom?

Thanks!

Edited: And still be able to fit in the postage envelopes
    Last edited by TheMerkleFamily; 01-11-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

Working on last boom blocks today, moving a bit slow, it is dreary here today.

Name:  DSC_0085.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  234.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0087.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  178.4 KB
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Great question that leads to packing/shipping info

TMF, great question! You may send a complimentary second fabric however it must be small. I'd recommend if you want only certain colors in your block, that you make that part of your requests. A good way to do it is to add paint color chips or small pieces of your suggested complimentary fabrics along with a note to each baggie.

Oddly enough, as past Boomers are aware, this is not a fabric issue so much as a packaging/shipping issue. We've had problems with too much fabric being sent (2 and three pieces of fabric by several people) and suddenly what should have fit in a single mailing package now had to be packed in a much larger box at an unexpected substantial shipping cost increase to the person receiving it. Therefore, I'd ask that you not send anything larger than say 6 1/2 by 6 1/2 and be sure to pack everything in as small a ziplock style bag as you can find. I know it doesn't seem like it but the packing and the ziplock size bags can be the difference between me packing bags fairly easily and me ready to tear my hair out in frustration while mumbling lots of 4 letter words. All four letter words. And please, please, please everyone, no ziplock bags with hard zippers. Shortly, I'll take a pic of how I'd like to find fabrics when I open your packages. Stay tuned...

Also, the Gallery is up with your fabric selections so far. If anyone wants to change the one I've posted, just let me know. Check it out. URL is in my signature below.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
    Quick newbie questions..

Is it helpful to send a complimentary second fabric if I wish to have multiple fabrics per block? And if so, what size should the second fabric cut be to allow for plenty of creative freedom?

Thanks!

People may not remember what you looked like or what you said but they will always remember how you made them feel! ~Joanelizbay

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    I think I'd like to join. Is there someone that can sponsor me? I think I see some names of people I've participated in the last three charm square swaps.

I have a large stash, and it's all prewashed, so I should have no trouble matching colors no matter what I'm sent.
    YES! I will sponsor you! (Tho that isn't required for this swap.) So happy that you want to join us. I think with all the posts today, Janice overlooked yours, or she would have greeted you.... Welcome!

Cathy is the most amazing quiltmaker... she does awesome work! See if you can find pics of some of the quilts she's posted to the board. You will be blown away. She also knows everything about vintage sewing machines, if you happen to need advice in that department.

D. Henson, we will miss you so please lurk and chat!

Darcyshannon, yay that you are joining again.

Hey, Givio posted. Maybe we can reel her in again, too!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I figured there would (quickly) come a point of frustration with too much fabric for the postage envelopes and will keep to 6 1/2" for my complimentary fabric

If, for any reason, someone wanted extra of anything I would gladly send it to them directly anyway

Once I get through my freshmen BOOM I'm sure I'll have plenty of the tricks down!

Christine
    Christine

I only have 12 cuts of the vintage fabric I am using this time around, and have requests for a couple of side swaps, so if I double up I'll have to find another fabric. At least that won't be as boring for everyone as making two of the same fabric.... I'll think on it.
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html

Kass the browns quilt is looking good! All those pieced curves... yikes!

Name:  Boom 22 Kaffe Fabrics resized down.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  132.8 KB

Janice - an updated pic of my fabrics for the gallery - thanks!
    Christine

Quite a few people last time sent lots of fabric up to three pieces total. I think a small piece will fit easier if needed to work with your main fabric.

Sewbizgirl, Macybaby and I were in contact directly this morning. Iím taking care of my Boom business, no worries.

Kass the curves are going to make your quilt spactacular.

Love all the fabrics.

Janice you know I will be glad to double up. I’m sending assorted fabric so hopefully no one will get a double of the same fabric

Will change it out. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
    Name:  Boom 22 Kaffe Fabrics resized down.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  132.8 KB

Janice - an updated pic of my fabrics for the gallery - thanks!

I figured youíd go for it, Terriamn! Thanks. Iíll try to see nobody gets dupís if I can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
    Kass the curves are going to make your quilt spactacular.

Love all the fabrics.

Janice you know I will be glad to double up. Iím sending assorted fabric so hopefully no one will get a double of the same fabric

Here’s a sample of how I’d like your fabrics packed and a sample color request. (I just grabbed the only color chips I had and a leftover piece of fabri. This is not my real color request.)
    Name:  23A1A251-3515-472A-92EF-6B033BBE12AC.jpeg
Views: 72
Size:  102.2 KB Name:  10D202B8-E5A9-422B-9320-659A0856AC29.jpeg
Views: 69
Size:  109.4 KB
    The ziplock is smaller than a quart size. Inside is my F8 and my color requests. The outside is labeled with my name. My color request asks that cream on cream and/or the attached colors be used. I would hope people come close to the colors samples but I must remember that there will be variation and artistic license used. Once all the F8s are packaged, please make sure you remove as much air as possible and then pack them tightly inside a gallon size ziplock on which your real name and address is written and the group name. If you are in 2 groups, please pack each group in its own gallon sized ziplock. I will send your blocks back to you in the original ziplocks you send me.

Hope this is helpful for newbies.
    Last edited by Janice McC; 01-11-2019 at 03:16 PM.

I sent my email - now to pick out the fabric.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Macybaby, Sent you a return email.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    I sent my email - now to pick out the fabric.

Fixed the picture links. Sometimes posting pix from my cell doesn't work well. Should be ok now.

Ok, I'm getting push back on the smaller second piece of fabric. Some people want to send a second much larger piece than I recommend or possibly a third. This is strictly a shipping/packing issue. I'm sorry if some of you are disappointed but I'm sticking with the small 6.5 x 6.5 inch piece. Remember, it's supposed to be up to the block maker to make what she wants to make with your f8. Many of us have begun strictly directing the finished product with multiple fabrics and that's seriously infringing on my ability to ship easily. The harder it gets, the less I'm inclined to do it. My other option is to tell everyone I'm going to only use boxes to ship at over 14 bucks a pop. That's a lot of extra money. Anyway, until everyone says they're ok with nearly doubling the shipping costs, I'm saying "no" to larger second and third pieces. I hope you all understand. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I’m good with the limit Janice. I also appreciate the reminder that we want to keep things as open as possible for block making, to encourage creativity and that the block is from the blockmakers mind as well as her hands. (Does that make sense?)

Quote Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
    Ok, I'm getting push back on the smaller second piece of fabric. Some people want to send a second much larger piece than I recommend or possibly a third. This is strictly a shipping/packing issue. I'm sorry if some of you are disappointed but I'm sticking with the small 6.5 x 6.5 inch piece. Remember, it's supposed to be up to the block maker to make what she wants to make with your f8. Many of us have begun strictly directing the finished product with multiple fabrics and that's seriously infringing on my ability to ship easily. The harder it gets, the less I'm inclined to do it. My other option is to tell everyone I'm going to only use boxes to ship at over 14 bucks a pop. That's a lot of extra money. Anyway, until everyone says they're ok with nearly doubling the shipping costs, I'm saying "no" to larger second and third pieces. I hope you all understand. Thanks!
    ďBe the change you wish to see in the world.Ē
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Thanks, PamelaOry. (Yes, it does make sense!) Part of the problem is that while I want to keep things a bit simpler than they have been recently, I want everyone to have what they want. Cannot happen! LOL. I'm appreciative of everyone who is able to understand the rules and abide. Boomers are the best!
    Quote Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
    Iím good with the limit Janice. I also appreciate the reminder that we want to keep things as open as possible for block making, to encourage creativity and that the block is from the blockmakers mind as well as her hands. (Does that make sense?)

Janice, as always, I'm good for doubling up in the 2 month group. I'm also good with the smaller piece of a second fabric. My F8s are ready to head your way, $8.00 well hidden in an enclosed envelope for my return postage of my F8s to play with.

Sure is nice to see this many new Boomers playing this time! Welcome to you all.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

All of my fabrics are washed, dried and ironed. I just need to get paint chip samples and write a note for each. The little pieces of fabrics I had leftover from cutting my f8s I made 6 blocks so far to go into my quilt. This will help me tie all the blocks together since most of my group are getting different pieces.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast