Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Boomerang 8.0 RUBIES Group

Dropped off my entries to the local fair. I won a second place ribbon on my cookie basket last year. I will let you all know what happens Tuesday night. Cross your finger. Phannie

ctmhjenn - turned your F8 into something interesting - will let you find out as it will be going into mail tomorrow!
    Quilting as I go traveling down the road

Count your blessings, not your problems.

IT"S DONE!!!! It's done it's done it's done.. Finally. Buddy'sMom's block is done.. and I had to starch and press and stretch the darned embroidery and applique areas to make sure it got as close to 12.5" as I could. it's a tiny smidgeon off. Please don't send the quilt police. Good thing I recently watched a video on how to stretch blocks will learn next time... cut larger than needed....
    It's peekable.
    I'm so tired of being tired.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

I know with embroidery its called blocking Anastasia. Want to know what I do if my block is off kilter? I put a damp paper towel directly on top, put a hot iron on it for a few seconds, then take four pins and pin it to shape on the ironing board, press it one more time sans cloth and let it cool overnight. next day its square. blocking is similar with a damp tea cloth and it allows the fabric a bit of give to get things into shape. What did you do? curiosity makes me ask never seen a video just what momma taught me a hundred years ago.. ok 42 years ago. back when embroidery better look as good from the back as the front those olden days kiddo.

glad to see lots of blocks are coming and going. I am still pulling as they come except for one glitch. Today the box was upended on the floor aparently someone needed a nap on the table and well boxs heck no.. so I put them back but truly will have to read dates now to figure out whos first last so with so few left probably going to get them out as I pull them still. Shooting for Oct 31st and think that is an easy target. Crossing fingers it is!
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

I am back!! oh oh oh here is a bad pic of my halloween stuff I put out and behind it is a picture I made with fabric snippets of some cowboys racing through the snow.. just a bit of it is showing but hey no piece of fabric is too small when you love fabric right? I cant wait to see what everyone is going to do with their blocks. I love Jabas idea of place mats wish I had thought of it first .. now how to steal that idea for the next round.. no one tell her shhhh she is sure easy to keep secrets from.. lol AHHH JABA stop that.. she is picking on me again .. Marybeth, Anastasia, anyone HELP.. next thing you know she will pull out her huge potato.. I think she is making mutants that what I think. Bet there is a movie out there, MUTANT POTATO ATTACK.. staring JABAS POTATO PATCH KIDS oh oh I like garlic mashed potatoes those I would go for in a NY second maybe I will let them attack after all.

I am all for those fish and chips mind you but heck no to the vinegar on it. WHAT THE HECK KINDA IDEA was that? vinegar and fried fish.. blicko big time. He will be too tired to eat for the next 12 hours dear. I hope he brings home some pretty English fabric. I picked up a home made curtain today at the thrift store still had the selvege on it says Made in England.. a two yard piece by the way for.. .79c right in my price range.. a yellow tone on tone tada! won the jackpot and a poorly made apron with gorgeous fabric same price, uh do we hear cutter anywhere ? a couple seams out and that is one nice big piece of fabric that I havent seen before.. super tada.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
    I know with embroidery its called blocking Anastasia. Want to know what I do if my block is off kilter? I put a damp paper towel directly on top, put a hot iron on it for a few seconds, then take four pins and pin it to shape on the ironing board, press it one more time sans cloth and let it cool overnight. next day its square.
    Yes.. blocking.. well I washed it to get the glue out, then scrunched out some water, laid it on a white towel, laid another towel over it, and ironed it mostly dry.. then took the towel off and ironed it more dry, then starched it a few times and ironed that dry, then I took it to my cutting mat and my ruler and just tugged fairly strongly in the areas that were shrunked, and got it nearly back to the proper size then pressed it some more. hehe.
    The video does it with starch. The first one I watched was shrinking it down.. LOTS AND LOTS of starch.. then I watched one stretching it, starch but iron til dry so it stays in that spot.. hehe. I didn't need to stretch that much so it works I guess for my scenario to just tug it. I'll check it agian tomorrow when I know it's completely dry and make sure it's still the right size.

Mmmm Garlic mashed potatoes.

Started cutting another block.. is not in order.. I know.. I"m a slacker.. I don't want to sit on things too much so as soon as they tell me what they want to be I get them out of my hair.

I'm sure it's just super. I'll till love it no matter what, thanks so much.
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

idiot forgot to do the attachment.. here we go halloween inspiration get going.I still have to decide who goes in the cats mouth just picked that little kitty up a week ago, think the love bug here gets it.. poor Steve.. his fault for letting me take pictures all the time. good job at wacking down on your to do list. I was so tempted and wanted to join the Valentine block swap wish it wasnt funky but still wanted to do one, and that winter block swap but decided to finish these here first before I sign myself up.. boo hoooing sure wish I was faster. Today is my official clock count down. I will make my deadline of Oct 31st or you all can come kick my rear. (gentle please its kinda skinny right now).. ok tada! ghosts! skelletons, pumpkins and the best part that goofy halloween tree picked that up this summer at a tag sale for.. 2 dollars including the pumpkins hanging on it.. right up my alley. Those skeletons were $5 and are sure tinier than the tree. I am the queen of necessity bargain hunter. I love that crown too. lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linda

Here is a question for everyone I want to make these bowls for holiday gifts but no idea where to find a pattern to do such a thing and if you have made them are they hard to do? they look like they might be fairly simple..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat;
    Here is a question for everyone I want to make these bowls for holiday gifts but no idea where to find a pattern to do such a thing and if you have made them are they hard to do? they look like they might be fairly simple..
    This is similar but not quite the same ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJPWbss9sxY

Here's another one too
    http://cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.co...lted-bowl.html
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Hello my fellow Rubies
    I just wanted to pop in and let you know all is well. I am just over a week post op and things are going better than I had expected. IHope and pray that it will give me my life back and let me have it for longer than a few months
    I have received some lovely cards and I thank you ladies for that and thank you Judy for letting everyone know how I was.
    I only have a couple of blocks to finish for this group and then all of my side swap blocks but now that I am feeling better I think I can start grooving along again!
    Hope you are all well and Linda I love your Halloween decorations (I LOVE Halloween) but I must say I love the horsemen in the background much better. You did a beautiful job on that!
    Hugs
    April

Heheh.. I love the little tree.. (Because I'm too lazy to look) Whomever sent the hydrangea fabric.. Well.. your block is almost done and I absolutely LOVE it.. I know it was the last fabric I got but it just jumped up and down all excited telling me what it wanted to be when it grew up and I was like.. simmer down child.. I don't care.. I have tv to watch.. but it was a big pest.. and I was like.. OTHERS ARE IN LINE FIRST!!! BE QUIET. nope.. hop hop hop.. so there it goes. Nearly done.. it's smiling smugly waiting for me to watch my show so I can finish it. Just 6 more seams

So then I finished it, and was in love and the blasted thing was 1/2" too short, so no problem, I slapped a little border on it, was going to trim the border down and nearly chopped the block bits.. EEEK.. Murphy.. why you gotta come and screw everything up? It was going so awesomely. So now I have to very carefully repair that side and trim it again hehe. But I might lose a tiny little point. But I"m still in love with the block.

Glad you are feeling better, April. Sure glad to hear it.
    Hugs,
    Charlottemarie
    Life is Good!

Visit my blog, closed the website:

http://charlottescreationsanew.blogspot.com/

Knowing I need some other bug blocks for my quilt, I made some for myself --

Luv'n me some bugs
    Name:  Luv'n some ladybugs.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  125.8 KB

plate full of bugs
    Name:  plate of bugs.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  122.2 KB

Ladybug Buggy
    Name:  Lady Bug Buggy.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  123.6 KB
    Lisa L.

Love the ladybug lovebug!

Oh, there all so cute but the bug is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
    Knowing I need some other bug blocks for my quilt, I made some for myself --

Luv'n me some bugs
    Name:  Luv'n some ladybugs.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  125.8 KB

plate full of bugs
    Name:  plate of bugs.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  122.2 KB

Ladybug Buggy
    Name:  Lady Bug Buggy.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  123.6 KB
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

OMg that is such a cute lovebug. or the kids used to call them punch buggies you got to punch someone in the arm if ou saw it first.. oh ok who started that one??? that will be a very cute lively happy quilt. The colors are so sweet together.

anastasia I have NEVER cut a block wrong ever.. especially thinking it was set at 12.5 and slice whip tda oh how come it doesnt look square.. oh crud 12.25 nice neat side all way too short. That is such a bummer! glad you found a fix. That block your whipping up right now (ha I had a sneak peak) is super pretty and absolutely the perfect block for that fabric. that didnt speak to you honey it came right out and smacked you on the rear end and said make me and .. well it is perfect. check out Yosemitesa's postings she is doing a Dr. Seuss quilt in Diamonds and today posted about 10 new blocks she has received what a fun quilt that will be also. Reds, blues yellows all go magically together too..

well better get some rest long day ahead of me.Quilting today! yeah!!! I miss it when I have to take a day off from it.
    Linda

Got a block ready for Mailing to the "Senior Cat Lady" I will get in the photo bucket later if you want to peek. Hope you all have a great day. Phannie

Moonworks thanks for the patterns.. i hope they are easy lol they sure are reasonable enough to buy BUT when one sews it should be something we make over buying right? guilt me into making it and worse yet showing you guys the results.. I have made fabric baskets where you line them and tie up the corners but this is a newone.. nice and stiff and perfect for those holiday wrapped hard candies.. oh who am I kidding we have a full candy bowl on the table at all times. everyone loves it ok kidding bigger its rarely full if its Chocolate Steve will eat it all within 24 or so hours if its hard candies it can go almost a week.. everyone grabs something. I had this lady who loved dum dum suckers she would come in and fill her pockets with them.. more power to you.. who said it was kids raiding the candy bowl.
    Linda

Glad you are feeling better April. Hope it continues that way.

I'm outa here for a few days ... going to play at the DesMoines AQS show
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    Moonwork, me thinks tomorrow is your B-day or anniversary or both?? So hope I'm right and wish you a very happy happy day!!!

Jaba, yep, tomorrow is my birthday, the next day is our anniversary and the following day is my hubby's birthday. 3 days of enjoyment for us each year. We're going to head to Pigeon Forge most likely for a day or so and then come home. Vacation has been too wet and cold for much of a motorcycle ride this year.

Thanks for the happy wishes
    Lisa L.

Quote Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
    Jaba, yep, tomorrow is my birthday, the next day is our anniversary and the following day is my hubby's birthday. 3 days of enjoyment for us each year. We're going to head to Pigeon Forge most likely for a day or so and then come home. Vacation has been too wet and cold for much of a motorcycle ride this year.

Thanks for the happy wishes
    Enjoy your days, Pigeon Forge is a great place in the fall. My folks had three days like that. two birthdays and an anniversary. I will be going up to celebrate with my mom the first of November. Dad would have been 75 on the 2. they were married for 32 years when he passed.

I plan to fly to Indiana, then mom picks me up we are going to drive down to Arkansas to see Dad's cousins. (Mom already knows I will have every quilt shop mapped all the way down to Batesville.) What a good time I will have. (made mom a Wizard of Oz quilt for her Birthday.) (Material I bought while in Delaware in the summer.)

Again, Have a great time and Happy Birthday. Gotta go to work. Phannie

ohhh visiting every quilt shop, drooling in my coffee .. the picture of all that beautiful fabric.. ah now that is a good way to wake up. Oh the holiday sounds lovely too.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPPPPYYY BIRTHDAAYYYYY and Happy Anniversary to you toooooo! Happy Birthday moonworks

I have some new for the troops: I went to Stanford on Monday. The liver transplant team has said I am doing so well that I do not need to come back down until APRIL!!! after twice a week, once a week twice a month once a month well this is jazz news. I am very happy. Second Flash: The kidney transplant team called last night and said.. drum roll.. I made the list for a transplant so now all I have to do is be patient and wait. That was such good news as I had fears because of theother transplant they might veto it. I was so happy I took a nap. lol.. I am tired an awful lot. Seemed like an excellent way to celebrate.

How do you make a quilt block for a quilt instructor? very carefully. I had a tough mental time with that one as I so much wanted to please her, kinda like doing something for your teacher. .. you want a good grade? I could not figure out why I worried the most about this block.. it was tough. She hopefully will like it. If you remember Quiltermomma from the original sign ups I have bugged her with gifting her puppies if she signed up. I sent her that puppy pin cushion, some carmel candies her favorite and wrapped those in puppy fabric.. so now I figure unless I want her bashing me on the head with my puppies I should give it up. I made her a vintage pattern of a basket.. with a kitten in it. Oops. Me and my critters lol for some reason it seemed like the right thing at the time. I think she will be shaking her head at me when she gets it lol sometimes I can not escape me. off to finish the corner blocks for that and to go onto something else.

oh to date I have received 10 blocks from the group. That is a huge percentage .. I have come to think that the smaller groups work faster.. I have 17 out of 37 for my other group in. I can actually see the quilts coming to make sense and its very cool. Have you laid yours out yet to see how they will look? on point? straight, sashing.. wall hangings what have you done with yours I know they did not get thrown in a box without a second looksie.. heck mine are man handled all the time each time one comes in I put a few together to see how it looks. big old kid here.
    Linda

Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast