Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0  Sign-Ups  NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-) >

Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0 Sign-Ups NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-)

Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0 Sign-Ups NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-)

Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by reeskylr
Since this is my first time of doing this. I thought I'd ask a couple questions.

1. Do you just mail your F8ths in a regular envelope?
2. Do you mail the block in a regular envelope when it is done or a small pack envelope?
3. My brain is dead on how a F8th will make a 12 inch block. lol
I can tell you what I do. I mail the F8 in a legal envelope. I also mail the block in a legal envelope if it doesn't have a whole lot of seams. The person making the blocks adds their fabric with the F8 to make the block. Hope that helps.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 AM

April, I think we were both typing at the same time. LOL
Old 04-19-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by PokerDiva
April, I think we were both typing at the same time. LOL
LOL Thanks for helping me out-appreciate it :-)
Hugs
April
Old 04-19-2011, 07:22 AM

Come one come all...this is really a fun fun swap and will help stretch you outside of your comfort zone. Step out of the box.....play with colors...LIVE!! LOL
Hugs
April
Old 04-19-2011, 07:22 AM

Since this is my first time of doing this. I thought I'd ask a couple questions.

2. Do you mail the block in a regular envelope when it is done or a small pack envelope?
1. Yes a regular envelope will work if you fold and wrap in platic correctly...which makes it flat like a piece of paper.
2. Most blocks can be sent back in a regular envelope as well.
3. The F8th is the main focus fabric and you supply the requested color or colors of your choosing from your stash to complete the block.

I hope this helps out and ladies if I missed anything please fill in...
Thanks,
KaSandra
Navarre2011
Old 04-19-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Navarre2011

1. Yes a regular envelope will work if you fold and wrap in platic correctly...which makes it flat like a piece of paper.
2. Most blocks can be sent back in a regular envelope as well.
3. The F8th is the main focus fabric and you supply the requested color or colors of your choosing from your stash to complete the block.

I hope this helps out and ladies if I missed anything please fill in...
Thanks,
KaSandra
Navarre2011
I just LOVE how helpful you ladies are-thank you so much. I never fear being away from the computer for a bit...I know I can rely on you all to help me out with questions from new swappers :thumbup:
Hugs
April
Old 04-19-2011, 08:28 AM

You guys rock, thanks!!

Oh and I'm gonna Pay it Forward in case other new swappers are wondering about some good ideas for those fabrics.

12 inch Block Patterns -- http://quilting.about.com/od/blockof...ilt-blocks.htm
Old 04-19-2011, 09:51 AM

My personal favorite source is http://quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html

You guys rock, thanks!!

Oh and I'm gonna Pay it Forward in case other new swappers are wondering about some good ideas for those fabrics.

12 inch Block Patterns -- http://quilting.about.com/od/blockof...ilt-blocks.htm
Old 04-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Banned

I have a list of the blocks I used that really work well and use MOST of the senders fabrics...they are all from Quilter's cache. Only one did not come out right no matter what I did...so I won't use that one again!
I do believe that some blocks should be outlawed...like a snowball, and a 9 patch...and there should be a set amount of the fabric sent used in the block, like about 1/2 of the F8th.

you can use the legal envelopes to send the blocks back just beware that they will cost you $.88 to send back or more if you wrap them in plastic and they weigh more than 1oz.

this is a great fun swap, but for first timers, there needs to be a Recommendations list to help show the patterns that work best, and a list of TO DO things before the fabrics arrive. Like pull some blenders out and wash them. If you have to buy some pick some normal colors like green, blue, yellow, brown and 1/3 yd does several blocks!

As for posting when fabrics arrive, I think if each person just posted an arrival UPDATE each Sunday evening that would be enough...trying to wade through 120+ pages to find INFO is hard when your time at home/on the PC is so limited!

I do like the idea of a piece of paper stitched to the edge with the name of the block and the senders ID name. That way you could just post a group pix of blocks each Sunday on UPDATE day and there would not be so many pages to go through to see the pix.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I do believe that some blocks should be outlawed...like a snowball, and a 9 patch...and there should be a set amount of the fabric sent used in the block, like about 1/2 of the F8th.
If we outlaw blocks it would be like telling beginners they cannot swap and this swap is open to all skill levels. Yes even snowballs and 9 patches can help build skills. They can teach us proper seams and how to work with HSTs comfortably before we venture in to more complex blocks. We encourage people to try new blocks in this swap but do not discourage them from doing any particular one.

As far as the amount of fabric one uses is truly up to the maker of the block. Some people will look at a block and think oh the 4" middle is perfect for their fabric and then i'll frame it with complimentary fabrics and others will use almost all of the F8. Sometimes there is too much and sometimes there is too little of someone's F8 used but that is ultimately up to who makes the blocks.

this is a great fun swap, but for first timers, there needs to be a Recommendations list to help show the patterns that work best, and a list of TO DO things before the fabrics arrive. Like pull some blenders out and wash them. If you have to buy some pick some normal colors like green, blue, yellow, brown and 1/3 yd does several blocks!
What works best for who becomes the issue. What might be right or best for one may not be for another. I could list a wide range of great blocks that I would consider great beginner blocks but others may think they are too complex or not complex enough... Whole in the Barn Door, Shoo-Fly, Churn Dash, Friendship Star.....

As far as buying "normal" colors again this is a personal preference thing. A normal color for me is orange, I know this is not the case for most people though. And buying base colors like blue, green, brown while not a bad idea who knows if they will be used or not. Everyone's color palette is so different which is one of the things that makes this swap so much fun. It encourages us all to step out of the comfort of those "safe" colors and try something maybe we normally wouldn't buy.

As for posting when fabrics arrive, I think if each person just posted an arrival UPDATE each Sunday evening that would be enough...trying to wade through 120+ pages to find INFO is hard when your time at home/on the PC is so limited!
I have no issue with a once a week update but that day could be different for everyone. So you would still need to move through postings to see items. I could start a page just for pictures of blocks for the Boom swap but as we know people comment and that pushes threads out too so...it is hard to "trim" down the number of pages.

I appreciate any and all input but I want and need everyone to remember that this swap is truly meant for ALL skill levels and aims to try and help people grow. Grow in both block skill and color selection.

Hugs
April