Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Boomerang Friendship Swap 8.0 Now closed for Signups

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    Kensington and stitchpost you may want to look up Boom 7 groups and look at their albums and see the members blocks they received. This might give you an idea because every fabric that you receive will be different fabric, then you choose what block to make and what fabric you have that will blend with that person's fabric, unless they have included a note and said please only use yellow and green, my background will be white. that way stitchingpost has sent everyone the purple fabric for an example. And keep in mind that you may receive a similar request to only use a certain color or to please not use a certain one. If you look in my albums received are the ones that I got back, I sent out the fabric that has the pottery pots. albums sent are the fabrics pieces I received from the other group members and this is the blocks I made from their fabric and returned to them. Hope it helps you, just trying to give suggestion that may make it a little easier. Hope you have fun with this.

Blog Entries
    YIPPEEE......I'm in for my second round of Boomerang swappin'........Jaba..love your album display of swaps..........how cool.....wish I was that talented with this technology stuff........nice to see what one has sent and received from swappin on the QB
    The only gift is a portion of thyself.....Ralph Waldo Emerson

thank you so much ladies .for all you help .i can do this,i think i can,i think i can,by golly i know i can,LOL, ok iam in for a small group to start with ,and work my way up, so iam in and sendin pm now ,thanks dont kill me off yet

I like working with small groups so I do not get over committed. I already have plans for this quilt! I am going to get it together and donate it to the local humane shelter for them to raffle it for donations. I found the cutest fabric on my Delaware Vacation..... Let the swapping being.... Kinda excite.. LOL you all can't tell, can you!

Let the swapping begin!

I can't decide if I want to send one fabric to 15 people or send out 15 different fabrics! Decisions, Decisions!
    "Wimpy Christian's won't survive spiritual warfare"- Carman

Quote Originally Posted by stitchingpost View Post
    Sorry iam just trying to get this right befor i join,i what to do it right
    Stitchingpost I hope you join us, This will be my 3rd time and I love it, I am learning to make new and exciting blocks and making tons of friends.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

Hi everyone...thanks again April! Info sent!

I have been in the hospital since tuesday for severe dehydration and an intestinal infection.. but I asked my daughter to bring me my lap top so I could get caught up! I have had a 12 pack of IV Fluids and hopefully I will be discharged tomorrow! Prayers would certainly be appreciated!

Can't wait to get back to my machine!

Asking about postage: Usually, when we mail out our fabrics, if you can squish them well, they are normal postage. The price is mainly based on thickness of the stuff in the envelope. Almost all of the blocks that I send back require more than a regular envelope. A lot of us use Press N Seal to compress everything in the envelope and to protect it from postal errors involving gremlins tearing the envelopes open. And, it seems that each post office operates on different rules and rates.

Quote Originally Posted by goldendog55 View Post
    Asking about postage: Usually, when we mail out our fabrics, if you can squish them well, they are normal postage. The price is mainly based on thickness of the stuff in the envelope. Almost all of the blocks that I send back require more than a regular envelope. A lot of us use Press N Seal to compress everything in the envelope and to protect it from postal errors involving gremlins tearing the envelopes open. And, it seems that each post office operates on different rules and rates.
    My post office goes by weight. If you pay 20 cents more you can get hand sorting and it won't go through a machine. Wise to do with odd shapes and thickness IMHO.

For the FQ swap I used a ziplock bag and put one of my address labels on it so they knew who sent it. I like that idea for this too, because they can keep your F8 with it and when the block is done, put it right back in the same zip lock. I am thinking about printing more to put in so they can have it for the enveloped to mail back the block.

Makes sense to me!

Quote Originally Posted by kensington View Post
    My post office goes by weight. If you pay 20 cents more you can get hand sorting and it won't go through a machine. Wise to do with odd shapes and thickness IMHO.

For the FQ swap I used a ziplock bag and put one of my address labels on it so they knew who sent it. I like that idea for this too, because they can keep your F8 with it and when the block is done, put it right back in the same zip lock. I am thinking about printing more to put in so they can have it for the enveloped to mail back the block.

Makes sense to me!
    So do we put a self paid return envelope in with fAbric

get well soon

Quote Originally Posted by missgigglewings View Post
    Hi everyone...thanks again April! Info sent!

I have been in the hospital since tuesday for severe dehydration and an intestinal infection.. but I asked my daughter to bring me my lap top so I could get caught up! I have had a 12 pack of IV Fluids and hopefully I will be discharged tomorrow! Prayers would certainly be appreciated!

Can't wait to get back to my machine!
    I hope get to feeling better and ur in my prayers

just a quick question and hope it isn't too dumb but when returning the block do we put it in a 13 by 18 envelope since the block will be 12.5 inches square or can we fold the block up? Thank you for the answer.
    Melinda
    Let us help a local QB member Elisabrat even a dollar can add up

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fun...kidney-/144120

i actually fold mine down to a third of it's size, pop it into a small zip lock bag squeezing out all of the air, and put it into a regular letter envelope... that way it can go very cheaply postage wise... most of my blocks from the boom7 came like that too
    i hope this has answered your question, if not, please feel free to ask us all again...
    hugs!! xxx jacquie xxx
    Jacquie xxxxx

Quilters aren't greedy, they're just materialistic.

"Don't be pushed by your problems, be led by your dreams."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mailing Fun!!!
    Yep...mailing...everyone's question!!! I learned what worked best for me was to buy the legal sized regular envelopes that were sticky, not the ones you lick. I fold my fabric or blocks down to the size of the envelope and wrap with press and seal and press the air out as much as I can. I put a label on the wrap, so that if the post office eats the envelope, they can return the fabric to me. I also tape the flap shut and tape the 4 corners just to re-enforce them. For the fabric I sent out, it costed me 45 cents in the US and $1.05 to send overseas. For sending the blocks out it cost me 65 cents in the US and $1.10 (?) overseas. Hope that helps!!!

Oh - and no you do not put a return stamped envelope. We all pay shipping for the fabric and the block.

**For those who end up in my group, I'm using ALL Dr. Seuss fabs. Making something special for my lil guy's 3rd birthday!!!
    Last edited by Yosamitesa; 07-27-2012 at 06:35 AM.

I just requested to be included. Since this will be my first time in this type of swap, I've requested the small one of 35 blocks. I think I should have asked for the 15 block one. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
    I just requested to be included. Since this will be my first time in this type of swap, I've requested the small one of 35 blocks. I think I should have asked for the 15 block one. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
    Sweetie you signed up for a large set. The small one is the 15. I did sign up for the 15. Some may actually sign up for 2 large or 70 blocks... WOWSERS!

LOL Yup we do get some who do two groups or more so some people have done 85 blocks. It is sooo much fun though
    Hugs
    April

Just sent my PM for a start of 15. Got some fabric I have been wondering what to make with it - well now I don't have to think on it - will send it out and let you all decide!!
    travelinggramma - currently in AZ

I have a question... I've been thorugh hundreds of 12" block patterns and made a couple samples to see what I can work with comfortably. Finished blocks are all 12''. But this calls for a 12.5.

How do you get that extra 1/2" out of a block pattern? I'm confused, becuase almost all 12 patterns, come out 12" not 12.5. HELP?

I was looking at the past boomerang swaps, and I saw the block we made in this months BOM. It's exactly a 12" block. I have it finished laying on my island. "Old Glory"...

This is so puzzling.
    Last edited by kensington; 07-27-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Read the pattern carefully - is it calling for a "scant" 1/4" - that can and will throw the block size off ... ask me how I know LOL
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
    Read the pattern carefully - is it calling for a "scant" 1/4" - that can and will throw the block size off ... ask me how I know LOL
    Not all 1/4" are created equal. Right? LOL. I do that. I always do that. Still... 12"

But, I think I have figured out how to adapt the patterns I really like to use. I hope.

When I paper piece - I make the pattern a smitch bigger - because I am not very good at "scant"!! This works for me!

Missgigglewings I sure hope your well and sewing fast as lightening, quick as a cricket..it is absolutely NO fun being in the hospital but sometimes a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. Make sure you are well first then zip on back here. You take care not to wind up back in the same old spot. They tend to hang onto you a lot longer the next round. They kept me round two in March til the beginning of June. Yipes. Plan your escape route just in case. Nexxus, I would imagine folding wouldnt be too bad if it fits. If it folded on a seam it would be easier to get the crease out I think. I just received an item folded up twice and it was hard to press out without pushing the shape out. Just my humble opinion. And last I think its hard to decide a block or colors until you get the fabric. I am more a this fabric says.. (they talk honest!) type.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

ok is it just me.. when you follow a pattern to make a 12 block it ends up 12.5 inches because drum roll there is the SEAM ALLOWANCE in the UNFINISHED block left hence the 12.5 size request, it will be 12.5 with a 1/4 inch on it until its sewn in. I hope I said that right. A patternfor a 12 incher is 12.5 measured square done if you followed your seams carefully without attaching to another block thus losing 1/4 inch on each side.. try one and see what you get. Or I am screwing up and magically ending up with those. For years. help me someone if I wrote that poorly or am plain wrong.
    Last edited by Elisabrat; 07-27-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: clarification
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast