Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Civil War Block swap - One, Two Three

Blog Entries
    I do believe I want to do this swap (my second). I'm glad you decided not to go with a fall theme. I don't have CW fabrics per se, but I do have some muted ones. I'll go through my meager stash and see what I can come up with. I'll post what I think might work and you can let me know whether I need to go shopping.
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Hehehehe I was just telling my DD 15 , also a quilter, that I was going to lay of on swaps because I need to make some of these blocks into quilts. I might just make only one set. Is that laying off swaps? I have blocks, unfinnished quilts and UFOs taking over my studio since I got into swapping. Loving it tough, the swaps not the take over. It is a temendous fun and I love the camradery on the board. You swappers are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    The hardest part of this swap is staying focused on my UFOs. I want to finish this whole quilt.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Please give a look and advise. Going through my stash I realize I like medium bright and colorful. Here is my selection:

Name:  Fabrics for CW blocks 2.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  377.3 KB
    The top blue on stack 1 is a little brighter than it looks, more a "cadet" blue with navy print. The dark in stack 2 is really a dark brown with (either) a darker brown or black print. The "white" on the third stack is actually a tan. I guess the camera's flash whitened it a bit. Does the print in the third stack feel CW? Let me know if I need to find something else or go shopping!
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Blog Entries
    I have just started quilting and want to thank you for the education that I am getting from this. I never knew there were names for the quilting blocks. I am just working on a basic CW quilt now with just 4" blocks. I also make dresses and I read somewhere that some of the colors were brighter than what we think they were.
    Learning is a never ending process. Kimberly Moffitt Adams

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Evie View Post
    Please give a look and advise. Going through my stash I realize I like medium bright and colorful. Here is my selection:

The top blue on stack 1 is a little brighter than it looks, more a "cadet" blue with navy print. The dark in stack 2 is really a dark brown with (either) a darker brown or black print. The "white" on the third stack is actually a tan. I guess the camera's flash whitened it a bit. Does the print in the third stack feel CW? Let me know if I need to find something else or go shopping!
    I think your selection looks great. I make dresses and have been to a few stores that make Civil War clothing also for re-enactors. If you want a not so white look of the last one in the third row, just seep it in a little coffee and wash out. It will add that old look to it.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the links. I will be able to learn these for my next quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandwiz1 View Post
    Deb, will these fabrics work?
    My advice, I make Civil War dresses and working on my first quilt, the bottom fabric with the big flowers is not quite correct. They usually say the flowers were no bigger than a penny. Even the one next to it with the with, then pink and blue fabric I have not seen before either. And I never seen the blue one in the middle before either.
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I have seen in the stores and also on the fields at events.
    Enjoy your project.

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Joining this one have civil war fabrics in my stash. Can't wait to see everyones fabric choices !
    ​Christine

Blog Entries

Initial Audition Fabrics

Reserving the right to change these but I am thinking:

Blueish - Ts
    Brown and Pink - Star
    Burgundy blueish - Shoo

All with teaish backgrounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Here's my first stab at fabrics. The farthest right is dull green; the left is rust; the others are brown. Looking for some plum or maybe more green.

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Blog Entries
    Evie-- Does the print in the third stack feel CW? Let me know if I need to find something else or go shopping! --I think this really feels CW!

Lovely fabrics folks, picked mine out today--will get pics later.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries
    Oh lordy, I would LOVE to be in this swap. Maybe next one. I'll keep a lookout on those who post their blocks later on
    Everything important in my life, like naps, I learned from my dog.
    http://foldedspindledquilted.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    After going through my stash, I realized I don't have a lot of prints that will work in the quantity needed, so I ordered a bunch online today. Will post pics when they arrive.
    Ronda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post
    After going through my stash, I realized I don't have a lot of prints that will work in the quantity needed, so I ordered a bunch online today. Will post pics when they arrive.
    Forced to shop?!? I love it.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski

Quote Originally Posted by Evie View Post

Evie, as long as the 'white' in the third stack is tan, your color choices are perfect. I love the sets you put together.
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
    Here's my first stab at fabrics. The farthest right is dull green; the left is rust; the others are brown. Looking for some plum or maybe more green.

Kris - those are nice choices. I would suggest a dark muted green and a dark brown to round out the values.
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Blog Entries
    I would like to join this swap. I've been thinking about it on and off all day and I'm ready to commit.

Can we do more than 1 set of 12 for the swap?
    Mischief Managed.

Blog Entries
    I placed an order yesterday for civil war prints from Connecting Threads. Can't wait to get them. I have several prints, but only a couple that are large enough to make 4 blocks from, so I had to break down and get some larger pieces. Will post them when they arrive or you can see them on Connecting Threads website.

Here is a picture of a sample Double T block I made. I chose to make it using flying geese rather than half square triangles.
    Ronda

Very nice Ronda. Did you paper piece the center or just add the corners and square it up to make the square in a square. I like the look of this without all the additional seams. Less bulk and less seams might also mean easier for me.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    Very nice Ronda. Did you paper piece the center or just add the corners and square it up to make the square in a square. I like the look of this without all the additional seams. Less bulk and less seams might also mean easier for me.
    I made a 4 1/2" square in a square block. It's still a tricky block, but was a good challenge. I will get better the more I make hopefully.
    Ronda

Well Ronda it looks very nice and super precise already. Thanks for sharing the pictures and info.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Nice job, Ronda! But then your work is always so precise!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries

Civil War Fabrics

Went shopping to local Quilt shop. Yummy fabrics were found , just couldn't decide so bought them all!
    Carolyn
    http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/islandwiz1/Boom%206%20Autumn%20Group/

Blog Entries
    Smart choice islandwiz, just buy them all then you still have to decide which ones to use for the blocks, have fun practicing and trying them out. Would love to join you in your quest.

Here is what I am thinking. I have a couple large yardages in my stash so may get away with what I have. the bright green really is not that at all, it is a muted olive tone green, iphone likes to change colors a bit.

Name:  fabric cw.JPG
Views: 197
Size:  167.6 KB
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandwiz1 View Post
    Went shopping to local Quilt shop. Yummy fabrics were found , just couldn't decide so bought them all!
    Love your choices!
    Fraew

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast